Sponsored by:

97 993 S at Momentum, Houston

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:23 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 97 993 S at Momentum, Houston

I just came back from Momentum in Houston to lock at Boxster S for a friend. They had a silver 993 S in their used car lot and I took the chance to have a closer look and test drove it.

The car is very clean, has 38k miles, non-stock lowered suspension (dealer did not know which). The dealer said it has no repaint, all records and a recent service with new clutch. Test drive was very good. I need to find out what suspension it was. It drove like a cart. Engine runs smooth and strong. He said it would go for 50k.

I am not in the market for an S but this looks like a nice example. More details on porsche.com

Erik

P.S. The car has stock sound and when I switched back to my "RSR" sound car I knew that this was a great upgrade ...
Old 04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
nhs156
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen it there as well. It's got some minor exterior blemishes including condensation in rear lights, stone chips, a scraped front bumper, some hard-to-see scratches in the paint, scratches on the wheels and discolored P-crests on the wheels. The biggest disappointment was the interior - leather was very cracked (though not ripped), someone had gone crazy with the armorall everywhere (can anyone say SHINY), a dummy switch was missing in the center console, electric mirrors didn't work, and the AC vent on the passenger side was broken. The keys also look like they've seen better days (battery/light missing). Certainly not in excellent condition. It did seem to drive OK, though the service records showed numerous oil leaks that have been fixed. I was a little concerned that the thing might have been used for racing - aftermarket aluminum accelerator pedal and strut brace were some tell-tale signs, along with the lowered suspension. Also took it out for a spin several weeks ago - it seemed to go OK, though it somehow didn't make me grin from ear to ear. Not bad overall, but overpriced IMHO. Victory has some nice-looking 2 and 4S in stock right now (though I realize their reputation isn't stellar), and RPM has some stunners in stock - though they're definitely not cheap. Might be worth looking elsewhere.... But then again, I'm very picky.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

nhs 156,

I recognized some of the issues you mentioned. (missing switch in console, mirror on passenger side). The switch for the driver seat was "flimsy", too. However, most of this stuff can be fixed easily and if you bring this car to Robert @ Victory, he "details" it that it will look like his other cars. The dealer told me that Robert already made an offer ...

Do you know which suspension was installed? I really liked it over my stock set-up.

Erik
Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

$50k is a great price for those miles... assuming the car was in excellent condition, which it sounds like it might not be.... why a new clutch at 35k miles.. that's my question... most of these cars go 55,60, 70k miles before needing a new one...
Old 04-29-2007, 12:55 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the car. Let's just say the it looks like its lived a hard life. You missed the big scratch on the rear bumper where someone backed it into a curb/park stop. Its that low! I looked under there and the screws holding the heat shield to the bumper were ripped off. I think if its still available in a couple of weeks, they'll sell for less than $50k.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by nhs156
someone had gone crazy with the armorall everywhere (can anyone say SHINY),
Easy on the shinny look... some of us resemble that

Quick Reply: 97 993 S at Momentum, Houston