Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Informal get together at Mike J's place tomorrow (April 29/07)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Informal get together at Mike J's place tomorrow (April 29/07)

Danny (DJF1) will be coming over to my place tomorrow (Sunday) morning to do an oil change on the lift. The weather looks good, if anyone wants to drop by to take a peek and shoot the breeze you are more than welcome. I might have time to do some other maintenance items, we will see. We will start at 9:00 and wrap up around noon. Can't go much later, I have to play "Dad-taxi" in the afternoon.

Directions: Click here for a map to 5691 Bessborough Drive Burnaby

Everyone is invited ; this is not a 993-only BS event.

I will schedule a more "official" BBQ later in May...it will be a discussion topic tomorrow to settle on a date.

Any yes, I know you guys in Florida had better get going!!

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by Mike J; 04-28-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, an oil change turned into installing new splitters, cleaning 3 ISV's, lubing a shifter linkage, attempting to fix a stuck tire valve, full oil change, and lots and lots of p-car talk This was over five cars. The only car we did not touch was Guy's (Briefescape) since his car is perfect.. We went for lunch afterwards, its was sunny and a good time was had by all (and I had fun!).

I had a chance to drive Danny's car with the 340mm wheel. It will take getting used to but the size and thickness is really good so its definitely on the list (given the group buy).

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,808 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Mike, thank you for your hospitality. Having access to your lift and your technical expertise makes everything so much easier. Danny, many thanks to you too for your help with the splitters and letting me do them before your oil change. Hope the oil change was completed successfully. Nice seening Rob, Tim and Guy too. Great sunny day and great p-car company. Doesn't get better than that.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:17 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
Mike, thank you for your hospitality. Having access to your lift and your technical expertise makes everything so much easier. Danny, many thanks to you too for your help with the splitters and letting me do them before your oil change. Hope the oil change was completed successfully. Nice seening Rob, Tim and Guy too. Great sunny day and great p-car company. Doesn't get better than that.
LOL... The oil change had some issues Wasted about a quart of the good stuff on Mike's floor and my engine bay, then Guy performed a mini detail on my engine bay , but still when I brought it home the garage has a cloud of freshly burned Mobil 1

Mike performed a last minute surgery on my deadly clogged ISV , I'm astounded how smooth the engine feels and the throttle response is amazing after the clean up... Oh and no more stalling

Thanks Mike ever so much again, it was really fun today and it was nice tinkering around 993's. It was great seeing everyone, certainly lots of good times!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So the ISV cleaning stopped the stalling....very good news! Since it only took 10 minutes to clean (and 5 to find a can of cleaner that worked!) it should be part of every oil change.

It sure was easier to do the ISV on your 95 vs my 96...you need very flat hands to fit between the engine and the body on those cars....

The oil mess brings up a good point.....its good practice to check on the oil extender neck (the one in the mouth of the oil tank) for cracks. Danny used it to fill his tank but there was a small tear in the extender which leaked. Its hard to see when it happens but it did make a mess. No problems, its all clean up (and cooked off) but I am sure we will check next time!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-29-2007, 10:43 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a weekend , holy jumping %^&$ I am living my dream . Saturday I was at the race track being a "pit crew " changing tires , fueling car and windshield cleaning ect....... Then today hanging out a bunch of 993 Rennlist junkies .

Now I have a bunch of pictures I need to email to someone to post .

Thanks guys and don`t forget there the tie down front license and the rear badge residue removal . Great sushi !!

Cheers Guy
Old 04-29-2007, 10:58 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

send them over Guy.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:00 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike J
So the ISV cleaning stopped the stalling....very good news! Since it only took 10 minutes to clean (and 5 to find a can of cleaner that worked!) it should be part of every oil change.

It sure was easier to do the ISV on your 95 vs my 96...you need very flat hands to fit between the engine and the body on those cars....

The oil mess brings up a good point.....its good practice to check on the oil extender neck (the one in the mouth of the oil tank) for cracks. Danny used it to fill his tank but there was a small tear in the extender which leaked. Its hard to see when it happens but it did make a mess. No problems, its all clean up (and cooked off) but I am sure we will check next time!

Cheers,

Mike
Yeap...no more stalling. What is more profound though is how the engine smoothed out. The throttle response is fantastic and the engine runs very very smooth...I guess mine because the valve was stuck, it was more pronounced but keeping the ISV clean it sure a great thing.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:17 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJF1
send them over Guy.
Danny just send them to Mikes and if he isn`t in dog house with his wife for spending the whole day in the shop withb the 993 guys he may post them sooner then later there some good shots

Cheers Guy
Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when I leave Tampa, do I go right or left??

Jack
Old 04-30-2007, 12:09 AM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike for a great sunday! Mixing pcar talk / working on the cars with a sushi lunch is probably the best combo for a successful sunday morning / afternoon.

Once again i appreciate your wealth of knowledge.. the shift linkage feels ALOT smoother. in fact it feels like a different car... and the ISV clean seems to have stabilized the idle / throttle response.

I'm taking the car in tomorrow to get the stem replaced on the rim - then i can finally check for accurate pressure!

Guy,

Thanks for the tips/help on license plate install - your car looks fantastic.. love the
passenger 'luxery' seating.

Luis,

Always a pleasure. i'll pass on the info to Bret about the Cab.

Danny,

Lovely to finally see your car in person - your going to have a strong 'porsche' perfume smell for a while.. been there done that.

Tim,

great meeting you, i love the colour of your car!

Rob,

Love the FAT *** C4S, hope to see you more this summer.

All in all a great sunday. Thanks Mike and crew for some great company.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here are some shots from Guy:

Guy's and Tim's cars lined up by the garage (and yes I built the wall...another DIY):

The Garage is OPEN for business:

Hmm, what should we do? That is Danny's car in the foreground...

Trying to put the splitters on....a bit of tight fit needing four rennlisters!!

A slightly better shot except for my gut..

Rob's 993 parked waiting for a spot...

Two craftsman hard at work...hope that Louis doesn't hurt himself!

Splitters installed...looking good!

A better shot with the splitters on...

Racing day for Guy...

Our local racetrack Mission Raceway...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man! I missed it!! Looks like fun!... next time I guess
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
Oh man! I missed it!! Looks like fun!... next time I guess
You Sir have to prepare for your stag next week....from what I have heard it could be a doozy!!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-30-2007, 03:26 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can get some time off work, I might get in enough sleep to prepare for it!

If work doesn't kill me, I'm sure the bachelor party will give it a shot

Quick Reply: Informal get together at Mike J's place tomorrow (April 29/07)