Sponsored by:

In-Dash GPS Unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:24 PM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question In-Dash GPS Unit

I still have the Becker head unit that came with my car 10 years ago. Works fine and looks good but I would love to have more capability -- sat radio, GPS, MP3. I would like to keep the clean look of "stock" as well but Becker doesn't sell head units in the US

Anyone have the new JVC? Here's a review: http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_KD_NX500...3.html?tag=sub

Anyone have opinions on how this would look in the car? Also, where could one put the GPS antenna in a cab?

TIA

Mark
1998 C4 Cabriolet
Old 04-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe do a search because I have seen this unit posted here in the 993 section before. I dont think there were any install pictures, more along the lines of install help (i think spedo sensor reading for the gps unit). It looks like a really nice unit. Need to update mine as well and gps would be great for some back-road twisties I would think
Old 04-28-2007, 12:42 PM
User 121721
Racer

Did a search before posting but didn't find a thread -- just did another search and found two. Don't know what I did wrong.

Thanks for the info --
Old 04-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Black993
Drifting

keep us updated if you do end up with this unit. I'm pretty interested to see how it looks in the car and your impressions of the unit itself. I've read good things about it, except for the navigation of menus and interface. But hey, thats a lot of stuff to jam into a single DIN size so I assume thats part of the reason.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:34 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark Scheurer
...Works fine and looks good but I would love to have more capability -- sat radio, GPS, MP3. I would like to keep the clean look of "stock" as well but Becker doesn't sell head units in the US....
If you can find one, a Becker traffic pro is probably the best bang for the buck for a Sat Nav radio....no MP3 though (AFAIK), but it does work with a Phatbox or iPod. I'm hoping to install mine...someday

Originally Posted by Mark Scheurer
....Also, where could one put the GPS antenna in a cab?...
People have mounted them in the corner on the dash next to the windshield or on the rear package shelf.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:23 AM
User 121721
Racer

I will let you guys know if/when I install the unit and post pictures. One thing that bothers me is that on the 928 forum the unit appears to stick out a little from the dash -- I want to stay away from that.

David, I was wondering, if the GPS were placed on the rear shelf, wouldn't it be covered up by the fabric top when the top was down?

I'm wondering if it would just be better to buy a Garmin Nuvi handheld and take out the CD changer, and plug an Ipod into the CD changer wiring harness.

Last edited by User 121721; 04-29-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:06 AM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

I recommend the Becker Traffic Pro, which was a stock item in the 996 so it looks great in the 993 dash. You can get an aftermarket component that plugs into the AUX input to run an MP3. I used a device called an Ice Link to control my iPod. It works great.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 AM
Beezr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is the Traffic Pro available in the US, with US maps?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:51 AM
dotcomhusker
Rennlist Member

Talking

I just installed the JVC KD-NX5000. I opted to have a local shop do the install. I got overcharged and the speed sensor wire wasn't connected... (NTS: If you're in the SF Bay Area, AVOID Bay Car Stereo on Geary blvd... quoted me 1-2 hours , billed me 5 hours, and still didn't connect the speed sensor, even though I told him where to find it. I gave him the freaking wiring diagram, thanks to the great group at rennlist. unit was crooked. sirius receiver was 'installed' loose under the passenger carpet, and my v1 splitter connected off the cigarette lighter was disconnected. 'Jack' is the owner. I think he heard PORSCHE and the word OVERBILL was too powerful to overcome. My experience. Yours may be different. For me they were bumblef**ks)

Either way, I love the unit, I notice a huge difference over the hi-fi setup. Only use the nav so-so (I've since connected the speed sensor wire myself), but only because I haven't needed it much. When you DO need it, I'm sure I'll LOVE IT. next, though, in the planned INCREMENTAL stereo upgrade is a new amp, speakers and subs. I said incremental, right? i'm an addict.

a few comments:

* The 3.5 inch screen is better than you may think it would be. It is a pretty small cabin space after all, not a sport ute. The other day I put in Fantasia and took a 45 minute night-time drive. Sooo much fun, and not under the influence of anything, i swear. 'Sorcerers Apprentice' at volume while cruising w/ the top open and an open highway. Love it. I have the aux input as well for an ipod (i have music on my storage card for my hand-held/phone and use that), but haven't used it, and will get the bluetooth unit next for hands-free mobile phone use.

* The only bad thing i can think of... I wish it was more flush w/ the dash. when the unit's off, it's pretty understated compared to a lot of the 'bling' head units out there (translate cheesy), but it would be nice for the unit to NOT have a 3/4" relief from the rest of the dash. I can deal with it and it's still better than the others I've seen. With subs and a nice amp it will be SICK. I promised pics earlier and I will deliver. Will try to post tomorrow. Love Rennlist!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Beezr
Is the Traffic Pro available in the US, with US maps?
yep...i have the older version sitting on my shelf which i bought for $200-250 IIRC.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:48 PM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

The Traffic Pro is available in the US with US maps. I got mine through Stefan at SW Stereo (800.270.2378) www.swstereo.com
Old 05-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 550 Posts

I only need a GPS for 10% of my driving, but then, I really need it.
The Nüvi 350 antenna is built-in, so I don't have to mount it or run wires.
I can take it with me to the restauraunt or motel to plan a route. The suction cup mount is also easily disconnected for theft deterrence.
It has an optional plug-in accessory to report traffic congestion and calculate a way around it.
It has text-to-speech, meaning it says "Turn right in 100 yards on Foothill Blvd", not just "Turn right in 100 yards".
When technology evolves, I am not stuck with what is in my dash.
It is way easier to use than the in-dash units in either my '07 Lexus or '07 MB.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

I installed the traffic pro - but never quite got it to work (havent gotten a chance to figure it out). The stereo and CD part are fine. Its just the nav thats screwed up. Any experts out there?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:03 AM
WarpMan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I only need a GPS for 10% of my driving, but then, I really need it.
The Nüvi 350 antenna is built-in, so I don't have to mount it or run wires.
I can take it with me to the restauraunt or motel to plan a route. The suction cup mount is also easily disconnected for theft deterrence.
Terry,
I take it you don't use the 993 clock when driving?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 912 Likes on 550 Posts

Yuji, the GPS tells me what time I will arrive, as well as what time it is. And changes the screen contrast back and forth from day to night by itself at sunrise and sunset. Yes, that Porsche clock was eventually good for something. Especially since Jan 1, when it became illegal in CA to affix any suction mounted device to your windshield. A 'safety' issue, you see ... nothing to do with radar detectors.

Quick Reply: In-Dash GPS Unit