Sponsored by:

Leather steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:39 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, I also wouldn't mind a tiny bit thicker/softer leather instead of hard, shiny and patterned, and maybe a perforated grip, too. My last two Subarus had perfed leather Momo wheels and the feel and non-slip level is superb.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:15 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you want a CPZ wheel from Gert. You could use your same airbag and sell your current wheel on ebay to offset some of the cost. I looked at a CPZ and really liked it.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:50 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by md11plt
I have had a nightmare with Alan Gunn. If you decide to use him, tell him I still hate his guts.

Tom
Originally Posted by AOW162435
If you would like to know what shop NOT to use, please contact me.

Andreas

Andreas
Old 05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

If you decide to use him, tell him I still hate his guts.
Tom
What did his guts ever do to you
Old 05-01-2007, 09:30 PM
md11plt
Pro

He completely destroyed my 997 steering wheel. When I pulled it out of the box, my wife laughed and asked me if I’d sent it to my 10 year old niece by mistake. I have seen Emily’s work (she had been doing those cardboard animals with the yarn) and I wish it was that good. He said he’d make good on it if I sent it back to him. Three weeks later, I got the wheel back and he hadn’t done a thing to it. He accused me of doctoring photos of it and “pulling on the leather”. $500.00 DOWN THE DRAIN.

I was battling cancer at the time, and when I told him I was not happy with the wheel, he actually said to me “What are you going to do, spend your last days on Earth taking me to court?” He is a real piece of work.
Attached Images     
Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I would not be happy with that by any stretch of the imagination. This guy should be exposed so no one else is screwed. You're right about the niece doing a better job.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

It sounds like you want a CPZ wheel from Gert. You could use your same airbag and sell your current wheel on ebay to offset some of the cost. I looked at a CPZ and really liked it.
FYI, I'm going to be selling my CPZ wheel & airbag in about a month.
Sounds like the guy who 'stitched' your steering wheel needs to be put out of business...!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:35 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

He completely destroyed my 997 steering wheel.
Originally Posted by Land Jet
This guy should be exposed so no one else is screwed.

md11plt,
I almost regurgitated my dinner when I say your photos - wow!

Land Jet,
I guess you finally gave me the excuse I've been waiting for
Below are a few emails detailing the sheer horror I went through with AGLA last year (this is after I received the wheel back for the first time). Granted, the work was for my 4Runner steering wheel, but how could I go wrong with a shop that claims to specialize in Porsche steering wheel restorations?

Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 2:25 PM
To: 'agla@gate.net'
Subject: 4Runner wheel shipped

Alan,
I swapped wheels again and shipped my 4Runner wheel to you today via FedEX Ground. You should have it on Monday.

To recap my concerns with the original work, the padding used gave a very spongy feel, and may have contributed to the somewhat loose feeling of the leather cover. In some places, the leather could actually ‘bunch’ if any grip was exerted. I also noticed some odd tooling marks and/or adhesive that did not go away over the last few weeks of use.

I really like the quality of the leather and ask that you re-cover the wheel with a new hide – a dull finish and a grainy texture would be great. I look forward to receiving the wheel back as soon as possible. Please make sure that the finished covering is tightly stitched.

Best regards,
Andreas

Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2006 10:18 AM
Subject: FW: 4Runner wheel shipped

Alan,
I received the re-done wheel Friday, installed it, and shipped the loaner back to you, same day.

I think it is important that I let you know that the wheel is still not to my satisfaction, but I simply cannot go through this again. I was without my wheel for more than a month for the ‘warranty’ work, and made do with the very rough loaner wheel. Since I drive clients around in my car, it was necessary for me to purchase a cheap $10 steering wheel cover to make the loaner look somewhat presentable.

Unless you are interested in seeing a photo or two, please take my word that the leather on the re-done wheel is attached unevenly, and very noticeably so. Of the four spokes, the bottom two are stitched evenly, but the top two are not even close to matching. The stitching is clearly visible on the right spoke, but not visible at all on the left. It looks very unprofessional. On the other hand, the tightness of the leather is vastly improved over the first time (details in attached email).

I originally sent my 4Runner wheel to you with high hopes of having a quality recovering done. Everything I’d read about AGLA certainly led me to believe that you do first-rate work. I think you’ll agree that my concerns and disappointments are warranted. When I initially sent my wheel to you, I figured that I’d hold off having my 993 wheel recovered until I saw how the 4Runner wheel turned out. At this time, I have reservations about sending my Porsche wheel to AGLA.

I ask that you review all the charges that were made to my credit card. I do not feel that I should be charged for the ‘padding’, as the outcome was certainly not what I expected. Furthermore, please review all of the shipping charges. Over the course of this transaction, I sent four packages to you via FedEx Ground. Each Ground package cost less than $7. After all this, I feel strongly that the only amount I should be charged is for the regular recovering work. Please consider refunding me the charges for padding, repeated shipping, etc. I can deal with the uneven wheel, but do not feel that any charges above and beyond the basic recovering price are warranted.

I trust that you take my concerns seriously and respond at your earliest convenience.

Regards,
Andreas

Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 10:07 PM
Subject: My emails

Alan,
I am quite discouraged by the fact that my email from a week ago remains unanswered. Do you think that my very valid concerns with the ‘repaired’ 4Runner steering wheel will simply disappear if you ignore my emails? I truly hope that I hear from you by Wednesday of this week. I have been more than fair in my assessment of the work done, and more than flexible with the months that this job has taken.

If you feel that my concerns do not merit a response, or action on your part, I will take the time to thoroughly document this entire episode on Rennlist, the largest Porsche-specific forum on the Internet. I had hoped to post a very positive write-up regarding my experience with AGLA, but you are making this all but impossible. Thankfully I’ve saved every email communication that has passed between us over the past few months.

Will you please address this situation promptly?

Andreas Walter

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 11:01 AM
To: Andreas Walter
Subject: Re: My emails

Mr Walter
I did not get a email last week form you. Sorry its the holidays...

Whats with the threats!!
We did a wheel for you.It was fine - you did not like it- twice??
For a 4 runner wheel - what does this have to do with rennlist ??I do care
of course but the second wheel we sent was ok by me .You dont like it well then
we can just remove the padding and do it to stock thicknes.You wanted it customise
that what we do for all wheels weather its a 993 a M3 or a 4 runner
Also to go and bitch to some web site that we do not even deal with
is unnessasary and has nothing to do with a german car no less .
We have been here doing wheels for 20 years - because one customer has an issue frankly is irrelevant to me.
However I NEVER GOT AN EMAIL from you to get an unneeded unsolicited
attack !
We did a wheel for you / warrantied it -I looked at it - its a wheel we do all the time even for dealers. We did the same wheel for a dealer in orlando fl- they were happy
but you are not- fine thats you prerogative
So you want me to do it agian - fine send it back
Just trying to make a customer happy ....
Alan gun

Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 11:24 AM
Subject: RE: My emails

Alan,
Since it took more than a week to get a response from you (and yes, I did send a lengthy email), I feel that my tone was more than appropriate. Why did I bring up Rennlist? Because I am a Porsche owner who mentioned to you when we first spoke that I would also like to get my 993 wheel recovered.

When I first received the 4Runner wheel back, the leather was loose and the padding ‘spongy’. Before sending it to you, I expressively asked that it only get padded if the end result would be a firm wheel.

When I received the wheel back for the second time, the leather was indeed tighter, but the seams did not match side to side. Please explain to me how this should not anger me after paying the amount of money I did?

Please understand that I am not some sort of flunky who hides behind email. Unfortunately email was the best form of communication with you. If I lived in Florida, we could have spoken in person. Frankly, I am shocked by your response. I truly had high hopes that getting my steering wheel recovered would be a painless process.

This is my daily driver and I really do not want to be without the wheel again for an extended period. If you would consider an appropriate refund (padding, shipping costs) I will consider this matter closed. I feel that I have displayed more than enough patience and honestly, have no other motive. I just feel that I paid far more for something than the end result was worth. I hope that you appreciate my concerns. And no, I have not posted anything regarding this transaction on any forum.

Regards,
Andreas Walter

Andreas
Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

This guy sounds like a total meathead.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 PM
md11plt
Pro

Here's mine

Alan,

I got the steering wheel today. Thank you for the expediting shipping.

I must say that I am not very happy with the way it turned out. In fact, I'm very upset about it. I have included pictures of the areas that I have problems with.

First of all I sent you what was for all intents and purposes a brand new steering wheel on the 1st of March, two day Fed Ex. You called me on the 3rd telling me you had the wheel in your shop and we discussed once again the details of the work you were to do. On previous conversations, you told me that a "simple wheel like yours would take about a week". Today is the 26th of March, a full 3 weeks after you had the wheel in your shop. I called you Tuesday the 21st looking for the wheel and you said it was done and that it would ship out the next morning. You said I would have it by the weekend. I called you again on Friday the 24th of March because the wheel had not come. You told me that you were inundated with relatives and that you had not been able to personally inspect the wheel. You told me that once you did, you would send it right out. I asked you about Saturday delivery and we agreed that you would send it via express mail USPS.

Second, the quality of the wheel is in my opinion very substandard. The stitching is very uneven. The padding is lumpy and the fit and finish of the edges is just downright poor. There is glue everywhere and both the left and right spokes are damaged. Also, the seams towards the bottom of the wheel where the alcantara and the leather meet is much lower that specified in my letter to you.

All in all, I am very disappointed. I would appreciate the money spent for the work you did refunded to my credit card. Even if you thought you could fix all the problems mentioned here, I am unwilling to spend another three weeks without my car. Secondly, since this wheel is in no way suitable, I would ask that you bear the burden of a replacement steering wheel from Porsche. I will do the leg work and find the best price I can for a wheel and let you know what the cost is.

Sincerely,

Thomas Sila

Dear Tom
I don't know if you got my forst email.However to get to the point
these was sloppines form the standpoint that Friday was too long and it got by me.
Two - I have the horn replacement left side here for your round airbag/ wheel style
not the trianglar one so I will swap it out.Now the only think I can think of the scratch is this
- either incoming somehow got this way or someone here among my employees is lying in fear of me
basically finding out...
I have parts I did not know about and I was happy to find it.One day I will inventory it.
As for the rest it will be corrected.I want you to enjoy it especailly in your condition- i understand

thanks
A Gun

Alan,

I appreciate you're trying to make this right.

As we discussed earlier, we agreed that you would pick up FedEx shipping to and from my house and try and correct the problems with the wheel. If I was not completely satisfied that you would refund my money to the credit card.

If you would, please let me know when you get the wheel and how long you think it will take.

Again, I appreciate your integrity regarding this matter.

Tom

Alan,

I have not gotten any email from you regarding our conversation this morning, March 27. During that talk, we agreed that you would pick up FedEx shipping to and from my house and try and correct the problems with the wheel. If I was not completely satisfied that you would refund my money to the credit card.

As far as the spokes go, I am adamant that they were not damaged when the wheel was sent to you. In fact, if you remember, I wanted to take the spokes off of the wheel before shipment to preclude this from happening. You said you asked the seamstress about the scratch and she told you that it was already there. Shouldn't the spokes have been removed or at least taped over to prevent scratches while the seamstress was doing the sewing?

Please let me know when the pickup is for Fed Ex.

Tom

Alan,

Lets disregard for a moment that when I talked to you after receiving the steering wheel that you would pay for FedEx shipping to and from my house. Let's also forget for a moment that you said it would take you no more than two days to rectify the problems.

Fed Ex picked up the package on 03/28/06. You got it the next day. I called you on 03/30/06 and you told me again that it would only take a day or two to correct the problems because they were so minor. I had to again point out the stitching on the top right that needed to be redone as well as some other problems.

I called again on 4/2/06 and you told me that they were just finishing up on the wheel and it would go out later that day.

I sent an e-mail on 4/3/06 asking if the wheel had shipped. I got no response.

Finally on 4/6/06 I got an e-mail stating that the wheel had shipped USPS! It has been a total of 14 days! Add that to the three weeks for the original job and I have been without my car for five weeks! I finally got the wheel late yesterday on 4/10/06.

While the spokes have been changed and the stitching on the upper right side is much improved, the wheel is not much better than before. I have included pictures that show where material is bunched and the sloppy seam on the back and top of one of the spokes. There is still glue on the wheel and the seams on the bottom are not where they are supposed to be. The picture shows that the seams are in the valley of the second and third peaks of the finger grips. An excerpt from the letter I e-mailed you and sent with the wheel states the lower seam should be extended downward approximately 2½ inches to the crest (top) of the third finger mould ridge starting from the bottom center of the wheel (two ridges lower than the current seam). I told you you could disregard correcting that error because you stated that you would need the wheel an extra week. Since you had the wheel two weeks anyway, it should have been done.

As we talked about earlier and as stated in an e-mail I sent you, you said you would provide a refund if I was not happy with the wheel. It should be obvious by now that I am not. Please credit my card for the entire amount of $422.99 for the work that was to be done.

I am sorry that things didn't work out here, Alan.

Tom Sila

Dwar Mr Sila
In review of wheel.
If you want we will glady in good faith look at this issue should you return it - this time at your cost
The wheel is a special order wheel done to our specification here at AGLA,Inc.
There is no oe specs on this wheel since it was a custom modification as specified by you.
You have your finished wheel, enjoy it and it has a 2 year warranty

Otherwise we do have the legal right to defend our positition in this matter
Proceed at your our risk.
Alan Gun, MD (ret)
presidentr AGLA,inc

Notice how he signs his mail MD (ret) here. This was after he called me "Cancer boy" on the phone and told me I wouldn't live long enough to sue him.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:10 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What an interesting business model. He farms out the labor, but handles customer service directly. His customers are the most finicky group around, but he has no quality control. Bizarre. I guess it's cheaper than paying a woman in tall boots to whip you every Tuesday after work.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Tom,
Apart from the amount of money we wasted, our experiences seem to mirror each other.

What really frustrated me is that I repeatedly took the time to thoroughly explain everything to Alan, only to receive truncated and rather unintelligible emails in return.

I hope that others will think twice before using these charlatans.

Andreas
Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 PM
md11plt
Pro

Yea, I kinda feel like we hijacked this thread, but I don't want anyone else to have to deal with him either. Lesson learned. Unfortunately, there will be others to follow.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys did the right thing. It will be in the archives for others to search when they look to recover their steering wheels.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:42 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RallyJon
I guess it's cheaper than paying a woman in tall boots to whip you every Tuesday after work.
Now that would be money well spent....

Quick Reply: Leather steering wheel