Sponsored by:

Help:ODBII Computer Reset Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help:ODBII Computer Reset Time

I had to clear the SAI code on my car and it is taking forever for the computer to cycle so that the emissions can be checked.

Does anyone know the number of cycles and miles it has to go through before it comes online. I have driven it for a few hunder miles now and a day at the track. I do have an Equis 1030 scanner that I usually check everytime I drive.

I need this thing to hurry up since I have an emissions check that is past due.

Thanks,
Old 04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had posted some information contributed by Willion Noble on my web site

http://p-car.com/technical/readiness.html
Old 04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck.
Whilst some have had success following the aformentioned 'drive cycle' -- others even using a BMW 'drive cycle' -- I myself could not get them to set.
It took over 700 miles (of various types of driving and a multitude of 'overnight cool-downs') before all 8 would set.
DO note that, in some states, if you go for a test - and the car gets a 'failure' coz it's NOT ready -- then when you go and get it tested, subsequently, that certain emissions-critical readiness monitors MUST MUST MUST be set or it will NOT pass. These I believe, are the evap. canister and catalyitic converter.
'They' will NOT give a hoot if, say, 6 out of the 8 ARE set, if 'these two' are not part of the six (and they invariably aren't!).

My advice (having been there done that) is 'try' the drive cycles. If you end up blue in the face with no readiness monitors being set then just drive, drive, drive the car until they ARE set. Then get the car inspected -- and don't ever let the battery go dead -- and hope that the CEL - if it comes on ever again -- comes on months before you need another insp. allowing u time to do this 'fandango' all over again.

My condolances,

Gerry
Old 04-26-2007, 03:01 PM
ilopper
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya... I thought it was going to be a nightmare after reading some of the posts. I was pleasantly surprised that mine all set relatively quickly. I kept looking at the monitors with my Innova 3100 after every trip. The catalyst was the last monitor to get set. My state allows 1 free retest within 30 days of the first "Not Ready" failure.
Hope anyone who has this issue has as good of luck as I did.

Easiest solution... keep your battery charged and you won't have to worry about your codes being "not ready" .

Last edited by ilopper; 01-13-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
I had posted some information contributed by Willion Noble on my web site

http://p-car.com/technical/readiness.html
There is no way I can keep those RPM's. Also, is it saying that a Bosch Hammer can run through those cycles and get the computer going again.

I appreciate the help, I wasn't searching for the right key words.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:07 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

go here for the factory TSB on this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/338398-porsche-993-technical-service-bullitens-tsb-s-updated-regularly.html

a lot seem to believe that if a cycle is interupted, you have to do it all over.
This is not the case, as clearly noted in the porsche TSB,
The hammer can not initiate the cycles, but the PST2 can trigger the cycles
without the waiting periods, good luck
Old 04-26-2007, 03:10 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by ilopper
I hear ya... I thought it was going to be a nightmare after reading some of the posts. I was pleasantly surprised that mine all set relatively quickly. I kept looking at the monitors with my Innova 3100 after every trip. The catalyst was the last monitor to get set. My state allows 1 free retest within 30 days of the first "Not Ready" failure.
Hope anyone who has this issue has as good of luck as I did.
I will try your 12 min 60 mph highway drive and keeping it under 3000 rpm. But after a month and 300 miles none have cleared.

Emissions isn't bad in IL, there is no issue with multiple tests. I have already gone a couple of times before I realized it's going to take a while to clear. Once they look at the car they ask if the battery was dead, then they say I need to drive it more.

What a pain.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:20 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by geolab
go here for the factory TSB on this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338398

a lot seem to believe that if a cycle is interupted, you have to do it all over.
This is not the case, as clearly noted in the porsche TSB,
The hammer can not initiate the cycles, but the PST2 can trigger the cycles
without the waiting periods, good luck
The TSB is very helpfull. It gives ranges for the testing and the time. I guess I am going to be driving around my neighborhood for a few hours today...tomorrow...with a stopwatch.

Now I found an excuse for a Rolex Daytona watch. I need the stopwatch functionality to clear readiness codes.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

If you can find clear roads, try the sequence in the TSB, since you need to be very smooth on the throttle and and keep the RPMs steady while you drive or it won't work. I have actually learned how to set most of the monitors sitting still and revving the engine in neutral, since we have the hammer and PST2 to monitor which flags are set and don't have time to be driving customer cars around all day trying to set the monitors (also too many stop signs/speed bumps/people running out into the road near the shop to drive smoothly).

You can really only do this if you have access to a hammer or PST2, but start the car up, and run the short tests for secondary air and tank vent valve while the car warms up, this gets cycle flags 3 and 4 out of the way. Now 1 and 2 are the tricky ones to set, 2 is the trickiest. Let the car fully warm up and concentrate on getting #1 to set. I found that picking 4 RPM ranges between 1120 and 2800 RPMs worked best (IE 1200, 1500, 2000 and 2700). Hold the pedal steady at 1200 in neutral for 30 seconds, and blip the throttle after 30 seconds and switch to the next RPM range. Blipping the the throttle every 30 seconds seems to be the key. Repeat this process several times and if your O2 sensors and cats are in good shape flags 1 and 2 should set.

Now that you have 1 through 4 set, 5 and 6 will set with a real short drive, keeping the RPMs steady and accelerating smoothly and slowly, in the ranges specified in the TSB. I have set several 993s, both NA and TT this way. I found that the time ranges and load specifications are not necessarily critical; I wasted a LOT of time the first time I tried to set 993 monitors, driving the car around w/ the AC/lights and all accessories on trying to keep the load in the specified range while trying to be smooth and watch the scan tool at the same time. Not cool!

Now I am sorry that this post won't be of much help to people w/out access to a Porsche scanner, but hopefully it'll help those few who do! Good luck!

---Chris A.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:33 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you clear codes on an OBD1 95 993.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:46 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

same proceedure, different timing. In the TSB, it is well indicated what extra timing proceedure is needed with 'o2 sensors Ahead of catalytic converter'

Quick Reply: Help:ODBII Computer Reset Time