Sponsored by:

ROW MO30 with sways installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeff:

Well there you are. There is a big difference between the Eibachs and the M030 setup. Of course I was riding on springs only. Think that had something to do with it? Gets aligned out on Monday. I was reading your DIY today, did you get a corner balance? Or was that a misread?

Mike
Old 04-27-2007, 02:24 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been here, but I just don't post as much.

Here is the skinny on corner-balancing:

Camp #1 - Absolutely do it. The 993 will shine and should be corner-balanced, even if driven only on the street.
Camp #2 - Absolutely do it. Why wouldnt you--if the car has the adjustment, then take advantage of it.
Camp #3 - Absolutely do it if you are an agressive street driver or track rat.
Camp #4 - Do it if you track it or are an agressive street driver with a coupe.
Camp #5 - You don't need to do it, unless you track it. You, being a street driver, will not notice the difference.

Etc.

I'm in a slightly different camp--I would do it if I had a coupe, being an agressive street driver or above. However, I don't see a need to do it in a cab, unless you have a roll bar and track the cab. Given your (Arena993) use of the car (i.e. driving it on the weekend, etc), I doubt it is necessary.

However, I will defer to ViperBob and others, on this topic.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Jeff:

Well that was my opinion(Camp #5). I use the car as a weekender only. Never DE or AX the car. One last question does corner balancing change the ride height on all corners? What I measn is in order to properly balance thae car is ride height changed to different measurements on all corners in order to achieve proper corner balance. But like I said probabaly won't do it since it is for pleasure only.

Mike
Old 04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Yes, corner balancing will/could change the exact ride height at each corner. Corner balancing is done by raising/lowering a corner so as to shift the weight to/from another corner to achieve the preferred relationship between diagonals. Thus, the ride heights vary with corner balancing--both directly (I raise left rear) and indirectly (the raising of the left rear causes the right front to go down because it is carrying more load).
Old 04-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Jeff:

Thanks. Just confirmed it as well by doing an exhaustive search. The way I use the car a Cb is really not for me. I'd prefer to have the ride height equal. I never even push the car very hard. Thanks for the info.

Mike
Old 04-27-2007, 04:38 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting. the mechanic pulled out the weights when we did my car ( I did it at his shop). Now, remember I have a 95 Cab. It turns out the car was perfectly balanced, so it was a plus.
Could I have told the difference, probably not. I do have a roll bar now, which I will use for my first DE in a few months.
Take care
Ron
Old 04-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mike:

I'd agree you don't need the CB. Watching the guy do mine--it was so close already after my install--he spent 45 minutes turning one single shock collar back and forth trying to get the cross weights to come out the same (which they eventually did).

But before he started it was only off by like 28 lbs.

Almost anything in the car...a passenger...a case of wine...two suitcases...will upset the balance more than that.

(And I'm dumping too much info here but, for those of you who corner balanced, did you do it with weight in the passenger seat? Because if not when your friend/s.o./driving instructor rides with you it will be out of balance. Even with the passenger weight---if the instructor weighs 200 and your wife 110--in one of those instances it won't be right. Corner balance is for driver-only race cars. Otherwise you are penny-unwise AND pound foolish.)

Just my two, um, pennies.

JoH

Last edited by Jack of Hearts; 04-27-2007 at 10:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Just took her for a drive today. WOW what a difference. I had boge shocks and they were indeed worn out. Ride hieght is at ROW Sport. Even without the alignment done I could tell a big difference right off the bat. Planted is a great word. No body roll in turns and not harsh at all over bumps which was my big concern with the horrible roads in DC. Cant wait until tomorrow when she gets RS motor mounts, and aligned. Not a cheap upgrade at 1800 for the setup and 800 to install but well worth it in performance, looks, and peace of mind. The Anti-SUV!
Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Awesome!!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:22 PM
ScubaJKD
Instructor

Arena did you change tire pressure with the new suspension setup? What are you running?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Just to let you know, RS mounts are around $350 and a breeze to install.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:19 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Looks awesome Mike.... Congrats. Now when are you doing the brakes? Sorry, had to twist the knife a little
Old 05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Arena993
Race Car

The TT brakes are next. Need to wait on a contract to come through next week. If it does brakes will be mine. Well they will probably be mine anyway even if the contract doesn't happen. Just makes the cost a little easier to swallow. I will be in touch.

ScubaJKD- Never checked the tire pressure yet I will do when I go home.

Bob - One more thing. Do the RS mounts really help with the car. What improvements do they do? What the hell I might get those as well. Robins RSR's are going to be here Friday.

Mike

Quick Reply: ROW MO30 with sways installed