993 Forum 1995-1998

Engine Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
only993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Smoke

I just recently had the oil changed and added a cat bypass. Now this is probably unrelated but just in case I though I should mention it. I have developed blue smoke at idle, now it is very inconsistent, some times it smokes and others it does not, and it only come from the passenger side exhaust pipe. Only on an idle, I had a coworker follow me and said that there no smoke under hard acceleration, between shifts or on throttle lift. just wondering if it could something other then valve guides or rings? weird that it does not do it all the time
Old 04-24-2007, 02:39 PM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it happen withing the first few minutes of startup / idle? this is normal if so.. (as long as it stops shortly after).. OR it's possible the car was over filled?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
only993
Instructor

I am starting to think that it is rings, it seems to smoke only once it starts to get hot! damn...
Old 04-24-2007, 03:58 PM
rconnon
Pro

hmm... i *think* that is also a sign of an overfill.. When the car is good and hot what is the oil level on the dipstick? you mentioned this JUST started happening post oil change?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:49 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by only993
I just recently had the oil changed... I have developed blue smoke at idle, now it is very inconsistent, some times it smokes and others it does not, and it only come from the passenger side exhaust pipe. Only on an idle, I had a coworker follow me and said that there no smoke under hard acceleration, between shifts or on throttle lift. just wondering if it could something other then valve guides or rings? weird that it does not do it all the time
At idle speed most of the oil returns to the oil tank and if there is too much it will get sucked out of the tank and dumped into the intake manifold (red arrows in the 1st image from a 964 which will look pretty much the same if you have MY95). This will cause smoking but not on just one side.

When your oil temperature is at ~194F/90C and with the engine speed at idle for at least 60 seconds and running on level ground how high is your oil level?

Normally (unless they are completely shot) whatever makes its way past the piston rings or the valve guides usually ends up burned/converted by the catalytic converters but now that you have removed those, the smoke is just dumped out the tail pipes.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason,

Why is your oil pressure so low, even at normal idle?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason, would you please explain the temperature gauge, line system that Porsche uses. The top red area is obviously overheating, but what does each line mean in fahrenheit degrees? Thanks.
BTW, I decided to bite the bullet and go with the auxiliary oil cooler because of the SC. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by only993
I just recently had the oil changed and added a cat bypass. Now this is probably unrelated but just in case I though I should mention it. I have developed blue smoke at idle, now it is very inconsistent, some times it smokes and others it does not, and it only come from the passenger side exhaust pipe. Only on an idle, I had a coworker follow me and said that there no smoke under hard acceleration, between shifts or on throttle lift. just wondering if it could something other then valve guides or rings? weird that it does not do it all the time
Its pretty normal with a by-pass pipe. You are seeing all the crap that the cats filter out. Most likely coming from valve guide "blow by". Unless you oil consumption is excessive, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it only happens either randomly or just at idle when cold.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Its pretty normal with a by-pass pipe. You are seeing all the crap that the cats filter out. Most likely coming from valve guide "blow by". Unless you oil consumption is excessive, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it only happens either randomly or just at idle when cold.
+1, but watch the oil consumption, it could get suddenly worse. Mine did.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Imracerx
Advanced

I had some smoke when I added the cat bypass. You can ask Chris. So I change my oil and I called a tech. He mentioned to me that is the most over looked item on these cars with oil level. He told me to run the oil level no more than half way on the twisty on the oil stick (do not go over). I have not had a problem since and I have great oil pressure that right at the 2 mark. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Imracerx; 04-25-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coltj
Why is your oil pressure so low, even at normal idle?
I had originally shot the photos of my gauges to demonstrate the delamination and gauge face peeling problem. A few months later someone had questions about oil temperature and level so I just took those images and photoshopped in the temperature and level. One of these days I will update the images with fixed gauge faces and genuine non-photoshopped levels.

Originally Posted by Land Jet
would you please explain the temperature gauge, line system that Porsche uses. The top red area is obviously overheating, but what does each line mean in fahrenheit degrees?

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I decided to bite the bullet and go with the auxiliary oil cooler because of the SC
The slow speed oil cooler fan does not even turn on until 230F which is a temperature that a regular non-supercharged engine can see on a hot day. So when you mentioned seeing it on a track day when the car wasn't really moving around I didn't think it was an issue to be even remotely concerned about. Too many times people have come on here and asked questions about the oil temperature in their daily driver (usually they're sitting in traffic and the temp creeps up) only to have vendors swoop in and try to scare the crap out of them when the real problem is lack of airflow and not surface area. If cleaning 10 years worth of built up crap on your existing oil cooler and the free fix (fan overide) doesn't work then maybe spend $2k on an additional oil cooler but not before.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:34 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone experienced problems with the fan override? Two mechanics that I trust (one in SoCal, the other in NorCal) both advise against it - in their opinions the risks (damage to fan, damage to electrical system, etc.) associated with constantly running the high speed fan outweighs the potential benefits.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:55 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leander
constantly running the high speed fan outweighs the potential benefits.
If you install the switch the fan will only operate at high speed when you want it to.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:18 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Keeping the engine cool is the best thing you can do for it (other than clean oil) so the fan switch is a great addition. It just a way of getting ahead of any heat spikes ; if you know its going to be hot you can switch on the fan and let it stop the upward creep of the temperature. We would not have to do this if Porsche did not put in a thermostat switch that opened at too high a temperature.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-25-2007, 12:51 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, that makes sense. Now that you mention it, I can see the delamination problem. Did Porsche replace the gages?

Quick Reply: Engine Smoke