Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo S Ducts Group Buy info with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:59 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys, I'll look into it. Jeff I'll check with Sunset first, so no need to dismantle anything yet..
Old 03-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Resurrecting an old thread. Does anyone know where to buy OEM Turbo S ducts without the ridiculous 5w positioning lights? I PMed 993_pilot re his above post but he doesn't remember. I think he bought from RPM (see this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...o-s-ducts.html). If one can buy the OEM housings for $100, I will do a LED solution for the lights.. The Turbo S ducts with the useless lights are ~$300 AFAIK.. Please chime in if you have any leads. Can the housings be ordered separately? It doesn't look like they can from the PET..
I would be interested in a foglight retrofit when you come up with one. I have the OEM ducts (Arena Red..like you'rs) with the 5w positioning light, but have not installed them yet (after 3 yrs.). I've been looking for the right foglight (Hella? PIAA?) to retrofit onto the OEM ducts w/o minimal, if any modification of the ducts. I'm not sure if the Hellas that Mike J or FlaxSix911 used would fit?

Please keep us posted if you find a solution. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Arrwin, I know that there is a LED solution that fits in the same socket as the 5w positioning light. The problem basically is the structure of the 5w positioning light socket/lens/assembly. It sits to "deep" into the duct housing and therefore, (even with the led that sits in the same socket) does not provide a good enough light pattern to use as a "fog light". As Andreas mentioned, they are indeed just side markers as is and nothing more. My idea is to use a different type LED and to replace the positioning light socket/lend/assembly with another more convex type lens like the PIA lights and by doing that in combination with the LED; Get a sufficient and much better light pattern. I will look into it.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Arrwin, I know that there is a LED solution that fits in the same socket as the 5w positioning light. The problem basically is the structure of the 5w positioning light socket/lens/assembly. It sits to "deep" into the duct housing and therefore, (even with the led that sits in the same socket) does not provide a good enough light pattern to use as a "fog light". As Andreas mentioned, they are indeed just side markers as is and nothing more. My idea is to use a different type LED and to replace the positioning light socket/lend/assembly with another more convex type lens like the PIA lights and by doing that in combination with the LED; Get a sufficient and much better light pattern. I will look into it.
That sounds great! Please keep me posted.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not the depth that it sits that is the problem, t is the lens. That posisioning light one is plastic and cut with just concentric circles. Good for DRLs, but useless as a light source for you to see at night. You could fix it be replacing that lens and providing a cutoff for the light.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Bart, if I can use the original socket and the LEDs you purchased it will make things a lot easier. Do you think replacing the lens with a flat "clear" lense would be enough? It would certainly not distract the light as much as the "textured" OEM lens.. Does your festoon type LEDs provide enough light? How is the cutoff usually done in these kind of applications?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 PM
bart1
Race Car

Do you have some stock fogs to look at? They have a metal plate to cut off the upper part of the beam pattern, as not to blind oncoming drivers. These LEDs provide 66 lumens, which is quite bright, and if you had clear lenses in front of them, I imagine they would throw some light out. You still won't have any reflectors behind them, so it will just be the light off the front of the festoon. They have 120º spread, up and down, I think it is.

You would get a better fog light pattern by buying some Hellas.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
V
Rennlist Member

I don't have the OEM TS ducts to look at yet, just the regular 993 foglights. I thought the cutoff would be easily manifested by a metal plate but just wanted to ask to make sure I got it . Is it possible to paint the duct surrounding the socket in let's say polar silver to imitate a reflector a get a little more light out? THat could be an option. Otherwise I think just the clear lense will make a big difference. I'll try it out, it's a fairly easy project.. Does the front lens come off as one piece? Or is it attached to the rest of the light assembly? If it's just a one piece of plastic, it will be easy to replicate with a clear lens. Hella is also an option. I'm not too concerned about light output. I don't intend to use them as foglights persee. What I need is a positioning light/side marker with increased light output (over the 5w stockers) which also match nicely with the xenons (which LEDs do and not the HElla fogs). So this will be great for my inteded use (I hope).
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM
bart1
Race Car

I'll try and get a pic sometime. Basically, the lens is attached to structure of the light.

The LEDs have no light going to the rear, so reflectors won't do much.

Why do you want incresed light output? To see or to be seen? The setup I have gives the latter, but not the former.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:12 PM
V
Rennlist Member

I guess the light output doesn't matter that much. It's really the low beam litronics which lights everything up. I guess it's mostly to match the TS ducts lights with the litronics. If replacing the lens alone provides a siginificant increase in light output, I will do that.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:00 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Ron,

im in on the $233.00 55 watt units from ebay.

Let me know.

Thanks Rich
Old 03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Rich, this thread is two years old. Sorry mate, I just brought it up since I had a related question. I'm sure there are equal products available on the market though. I decided to go with OEM. GL.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Rich,

I recently bought 55watt units on EBAY for $200 from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...1%7C240%3A1318

His asking price was $275, I offered $200 and he accepted.

Mike
Old 03-06-2009, 08:05 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

OK, great i ll order them @ $200.00

Regards Rich
Old 05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Mike,
Were the ducts from eBay any good (quality/fit of the ducts, performance of the lights)?
Thanks,
-Ruben

Quick Reply: Turbo S Ducts Group Buy info with pics