Climate control / Flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Question Climate control / Flaps?

I did a search, but found nothing exactly like my experiance but I could swear I've read about it here before.

I am getting warm/hot air through my center dash vents. If I turn the temp **** full counter clockwise, I get the cooler outside air from the vents on left side (driver side) of car. If I turn the a/c on, I get the cold air through the same, but the hot air still flows from right side.

I've read about flaps and valves, but found nothing that explains the left side/right side problem, it seems to be all or nothing from what I've found in the search.

Help please, or it's going to be a brutal summer!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:10 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the exact same problem about a year or so ago. Most likely it's the electric motor on the flap valve in the passenger side footwell. Mine had shorted out & was unrepairable.

To confirm, you can switch it with the driver side, turn the temp control to heat/cool and see if the flap opens/closes. If not, the electric motor is shot. It's called a Vent Control Motor, part number: 993 624 325 00 & about $100.

Here's a fairly recent post describing the issue:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/324828-brrrrrr-no-heat.html
Old 04-19-2007, 04:12 PM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

EDIT: Eric beat me to it!

If you are getting hot full time from only one side, then it is almost certainly a failed servo motor on the temperature mixer. It is in front of the door, down in the footwell area. Remove the side trim /carpet piece forward of the passenger side door to reveal the hot air tube and mixing servo motor. You should hear/feel/see that thing opening and closing the vent tube as you call for hot or cold. I' wager it is stuck in the open position. You may find more info over on p-car.com about it as well.

Each side has its own servo to regulate the hot air coming up from the rear. Those tubes then lead up into the mixing chambers in the front. There is a temp sensor in each mixing chamber telling the ccu what temp it is mixing, so the ccu can then tell the servos to allow more or less hot air in. If the servo appears to be functioning properly, it could be a temperature sensor in that mixing chamber also. If you get to that point, a multimeter reading of the ohmage output of that sensor would tell you if your sensor is kaput. More info on that if we get there. I think your servo will be the problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks a ton, I'll check it tomorrow AM and report back.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That seems to be it. I tried every position/combo and it would not move. I'm ordering the part.

Again, thank you!

Quick Reply: Climate control / Flaps?