Sponsored by: DashLynx

aftermarket steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default aftermarket steering wheels

Can't seem to get in touch with the leader in the group buy for steering wheels. There seems to be a controversy about size and blocking the view of the gauges. Could any of you guys with Daytona { fvb,raid.atiweh?} wheels pleases post pictures looking through the wheel at the gauges? Would like to see the difference between the 340mm and the 360mm view. Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

It would probably be good to archive these comparisons since its a common topic. I also know the different wheel size really affects the feel of the wheel, I find the really small wheels start to feel like a video game...

I'll seconds the request ; Any picts out there?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-17-2007, 08:43 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the FVD 340 mm. Here is an old pic that I have...

If you need me to take a different angle of the SW, I can try to do it tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
I have the FVD 340 mm. Here is an old pic that I have...

If you need me to take a different angle of the SW, I can try to do it tomorrow.
That is a really good pict thanks very much!!...anyone with a 360mm have a shot?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tony. I would be interested in your opinion of the size you have. Now that you've lived with it for awhile, would you rather have the 360? Does it block your view of the gauges in an annoying way? A straight on picture from your driver's eye view would be great, if you feel like it. Your car is hot!
Now, anybody have a picture of the 360mm for comparison?
I think the group buy leader is either out of town or has lost interest.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Daytona 340mm

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Can't seem to get in touch with the leader in the group buy for steering wheels. There seems to be a controversy about size and blocking the view of the gauges. Could any of you guys with Daytona { fvb,raid.atiweh?} wheels pleases post pictures looking through the wheel at the gauges? Would like to see the difference between the 340mm and the 360mm view. Thanks
Here's a shot of the FVD Daytona 340mm (made by Atiwe). I absolutely love it, not too small at all and in fact (for me anyway) enhances the driving experience and road feel dramatically. Interestingly, I felt the 360mm was more suitable in my previous 996's (still 20mm smaller than stock) but somehow the 340mm felt too small (I experimented with both). Maybe it's the fact that the 993 is a smaller car/cabin so ergonomically, it fits better and seems balanced and appropriate, etc.. I once saw a 996TT with a 320mm and it looked ridiculous! Big thumbs up on this mod though whatever size you choose...if you're not sure about size, the 360mm is a safer bet.

The photos look like the colors don't match but it's just a light effect on the perf'd leather vs. smooth, in person it's perfect.
Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2007, 09:36 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Pictures help but they wont solve the problem since everybody is different in height. If you are taller, you'll be looking at the guages with a greater angle thus needing a bigger wheel. Less angle results in less angle and smaller wheel. The person who took the picture just above, must not be very tall or he's driving with seat lowered cause the angle is close to 0.

I had a hard time looking at my tach with my momo wheel with stock seat, now that I have lowered race seat, the problem has been solved.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Good point. I guess the best thing would be to find a couple of locals with these wheels and meet up and sit in the car and look and see. Anyone in the Balt.-Wash. area have these steering wheels on their cars?
Old 04-18-2007, 06:39 AM
V
Drifting

Good point indeed but you said it yourself: It depends on how low the seat is mounted. Definately valid for the stock seat. I am quite tall myself and will eventually need to sit lower than I do at the moment with stock seats. I like to sit upright when I drive and I almost hit the roof with the stock seat and have a hard time seeing stoplights if I stop to close. Another reason to replace my seats . But nevertheless I like the idea of the this thread, it gives you an estimate of how it will look. Keep the pictures coming!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:54 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Momo Race, 350 mm and it definitely obscures the speedo for my seat height. I had to rotate the speedo otherwise I couldn't see over about 60 mph. This is pretty close to what my view is:
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2007, 02:00 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I have a Momo Race, 350 mm and it definitely obscures the speedo for my seat height. I had to rotate the speedo otherwise I couldn't see over about 60 mph. This is pretty close to what my view is:
Same wheel and same problem with speedo. Only thing to do is "trial and error"

Good luck.

Quick Reply: aftermarket steering wheels