Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Flashers flashign too fast - help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flashers flashign too fast - help!

Ok, here's the story.
I recently had my rear bumper cover resprayed. I also had the front right corner lens out for another reason.

I picked up my car and was driving home and noticed that when I used my left turn signal the relay made a buzzing sound and the turn indicator in the dash flashed fast. When I used the right turn signal, the turn indicator in the dash just stayed lit and did not flash at all
Turned around ant took it back to the body shop. We checked all the lights and also noticed that the rear driving lights did not work either. We tried the emergency flashers, the front work properly but the rear did not flash at all. The brake lights worked properly.
They checked the bulbs and all where good. I checked all the fuses and all where good. We thought maybe the relay had gone bad.

I was running late for an appointment, so I told them I would continue looking into it.

I ordered a new flasher relay and replaced it. Same problems.
I plugged in the front right corner lens and the buzzing stopped, but all other problems stayed.

So, I thought maybe the new relay was not the right one. Plugged the old original relay it, same problems.

I noticed that one of my license plate lights was out. Checked and one of bulbs had a broken filament. However, I doubt this is contributing to the issues.

I pulled the tail lights and noticed that the shop failed to plug in one of the plugs in the both sides of the tail light assemblies, so I plugged them back in. (see pic below)

Now the rear driving lights work, the brake lights work, the flashers work, but the turn signals are all flashing fast. Only the very far outside of the rear light assembly flashes.
I don’t think this is the only part of the rear lights that are supposed to flash. (see pic below)

I’m out of ideas, any suggestions????
Old 04-14-2007, 01:46 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

if one bulb is out it cause my flashers to flash ridiculously fast..on my toyota
Old 04-14-2007, 01:46 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

if one bulb is out it cause my flashers to flash ridiculously fast..on my toyota
Old 04-14-2007, 01:47 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,

You'd be surprised what a broken filament or wrong bulb would do. Try changing it out with a new bulb.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:47 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

I just had this problem and Jukelemon told me how to fix. So I'll pass on the love.

Take off each blinker assembly. It's got three pairs of wires. The two pairs on the outside are interchangeable - switch them and you'll be back to normal.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:45 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, that's your problem. The two outside wires are on the wrong lights. Swith them and and all will be good. I had my rear lights out for paint clean and polish and I reversed them upon install and had the same results.....
Old 04-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Originally Posted by black ice
I just had this problem and Jukelemon told me how to fix. So I'll pass on the love.

Take off each blinker assembly. It's got three pairs of wires. The two pairs on the outside are interchangeable - switch them and you'll be back to normal.
ice, thanks for the love, but i dont really understand what you are saying.
can you draw some directional ines on my pic to illistrate?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

he is saying that the rear lights have 2 clips that can be accidentally interchanged.

Swap connectors on one side. If that doesn't fix it, swap it back, then try the other side. You have one of the plugs circled in you pic above. The one it can be swapped with is the one next to it.

If you look carefully, I think the wire is "more comfortable" when connected to the proper bulb socket. Unwind the wires (in pic above) and swap those connectors. I am guessing the one pictured is the culprit.
These 2 sockets use different bulbs.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:55 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Way more fun than finishing my taxes

Let us know if this works...
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Oh, now I see said the blind man.
I believe you are correct because one side just didn't seem right, it was too tight of a stretch.

Back in a few....
Old 04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Ding, ding, ding, ding... We have a winner!!!

Both light assemblies had the wires swithced.

Thanks a rennlist ton!

I'll be happy to write a letter to the IRS explaining why you need an extension!
Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

If I could just find the friggin taxpayer ID for the after care provider - arrrrgh!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 07:46 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Default This place is great!

I had my car "paint corrected", and when it was returned, the left turn signal was not working... changed the bulb with a fresh one and no luck.. found this OLD thread and sure enough... problem fixed. This place is GREAT! Thanks Rennlist!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:42 PM
curtratcliff
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Blue Ocean----I had swapped to new taillights probably 4 years ago and had the fast flasher on the small outside lens of the tail lights----sure enough the wires were reversed----4 years later fixed after seeing your thread!

I had tried everything....also 96 993.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Fat993
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had my bumper repainted and had the exact same problem with the turn signals. Switched back the wires as you recommended and now works perfect. Thanks for your post Black Ice and Blue Ocean and special thanks for the labeled photos!

Quick Reply: Flashers flashign too fast - help!