Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Was laying low on the Fabspeed Group Buy until....Road Test!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 339 Posts
Cool Was laying low on the Fabspeed Group Buy until....Road Test!!!

I took baby out on the road today with her new cat bypass pipes...here is the report. Cabin noise at cruise is very tolerable....no 3000 RPM harmonic. A normal conversation about abnormal things can be held...no strain to hear.

Under acceleration...a different ball game. They are evil loud...but outside this mode, the noise is very mild and tolerable.

The car seems as quick as ever, no dreaded torque loss as measured by my seat of my pants meter.

I hooked up the O2 sensors inboard, and tie wrapped the outboard sensors...no CEL. I expected a CEL...so far none, about 50 miles on the pipes this AM.

Bottom line, I am very pleased with the end result of the installation.

Group Buy: Please note, I already have my Fabspeed product...I bought the cat bypass pipes from a Rennlister, used....they were priced right, good enough for the buyer and seller to agree to. I am not receiving any commission lor renumeration for the group buy. However in the case of any Rennlisters looking to buy Fabspeed products, this is a way for you to save a few bucks.

As I wrote earlier, I had my Fabspeed cat bypass pipes installed into my RSR mufflers. Ladies and Gentlemen, the sound is *** kicking mean. In addition, as a result of the installation, I replaced a 21 Lb. cat converter with two pipes weighing about 3 lbs, net weight loss, down low and behind the rear wheels, 18 Lbs, sweet.

If you have not heard this set up, the sound is approximated on the Fabspeed web site.

So far I have some potential buyers on the Rennlist Group Buy....hopefully a few more will hop in.

Dat is da scoop!

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-15-2007 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mean sound and weight loss. Sounds like a great combination! It wasn't too long ago that you went from fabspeeds to RSRs. Round trip?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 360 Posts

If you go to tracks w/ noise limits you might want to go Fabspeed/stock. Fabspeed/RSR was ~ 98dBA at full tilt.

Fabspeed stock stil sounds great
3.8 Fabsped/stock

3.6 Fabspeed/stock

3.6 Fabspeed/RSR

The recordings don't do justice, the last is loudest in use by far and the 3.8 is louder than the 3.6 w/ the same exhaust
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Father of 3
Mean sound and weight loss. Sounds like a great combination! It wasn't too long ago that you went from fabspeeds to RSRs. Round trip?
I started with B&B mufflers, came with the car. Sold them...next, the RSRs, loved them....but needed some more dBs in my life, bought a set of Fabspeed Super Cups...sold off the RSRs with the TechArt tips.

Then I went back to the RSRs after it was clear I wasn't going to make 92 dB sound at Laguna Seca.

Recently Got a little bonus check, it was hot in my pocket and needed to get into circulation...I bought a pair of used Fabspeed cat bypass pipes from a Rennlister. I had them installed today...will drive the car a bit tomorrow, but damn do they sound good. My mechanic says the car seems to be a little quicker...but I am certain it is a self fulfilling prophesy.

But I will tell you this, the cars has its ***** back now. I love the sounds coming out the back end....evil, pure evil.

Bill (above) is probably right...I may have to go to stock mufflers to make 92 dB sound. That's OK; they are cheap!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm in. Keep me posted.

Matt
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Martin, I take it "our" pipes are a hit?!
Marc
Old 04-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 360 Posts

Bill (above) is probably right...I may have to go to stock mufflers to make 92 dB sound. That's OK; they are cheap!
You will, they are. That's what I did. But I kept a set of RSRs for Watkins Glen where there are no noise *****. Takes ~1/2 hr to swap them.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

The cool thing about the latest generation of Supercups is that you can use the turndowns to direct sound away from the wherever the sound meter may be placed. Or you can do what Bill Walczak did with his Ol' Yeller 993 3.8 race car and go out to Home Depot and wire or bolt-on on some In-Sink-Erator sink traps. Not pretty, but I think he made the sound limits.

Hmmm, my current set of first gen Cups is rusting out right now...Martin, how much for a set of Cups in the GB?
Old 04-14-2007, 01:10 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Funny story about Fabspeed bypass pipes and RSR's:

A friend of mine also has a 1995, and we both installed Fabspeed bypass pipes and RSRs. His car sounds loud but acceptable around town. Mine is wicked loud and totally embarassing to drive, essentially undriveable. Odd, since we have EXACTLY THE SAME SETUP!! We compared back-to-back and were totally confused. Perhaps Robin changed the RSR design at some point...
Old 04-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool I love the sound...

I wish I had the technology to capture the sound. They sound great....combo of the Cat by pass and the RSRs...they are loud. I will take her on her first road trip today and report back later.

I may have to slap on a set of stock muffs to pass sound.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:30 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm, I had the RSR's and put FVD bypasses, like "the other eric" I found the noise embarassing and thought i had less torque... So took the fvd pipes off and motoring happily again with the cat on and the RSR's. Pity though since I too expected better response. Anybody knows if the dach x pipes give different result from straight bypasses (fvd)?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by HJK
Hmmm, I had the RSR's and put FVD bypasses, like "the other eric" I found the noise embarassing and thought i had less torque... So took the fvd pipes off and motoring happily again with the cat on and the RSR's. Pity though since I too expected better response. Anybody knows if the dach x pipes give different result from straight bypasses (fvd)?
You can only get a straight answer for this question if you do a back to back dyno run. If I feel less torque, off they come...and on go the 200 cell cats. I will be at the track this weekend, we'll see how they feel.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HJK
We've not been put up against FVD, but I would venture to guess that a strait pipe is a strait pipe, is a strait pipe
A DACH search will reveal what some have experienced (power and nose gains)with both our X pipes and 200 cell cat X-pipes.

Last edited by 993inNC; 04-15-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:25 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the DACH X-pipe w/ the 200 cell cats and it sounds great. I have received compliments from may people some car enthusiats and some not.
A woman, yes a woman was driving behind me and pulled up next to me and told me the car sounded great.
From inside it sounds great. At idle on startup it is much throatier w/ a nice burble. WOT is very nice, sound is not overpowering at all but deeper and noticeable.
I need to have someone do a drive by so I can listen and get a sound clip.
+ 10 for DACH X-Pipe w/ 200 cell cats
Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chris, Martin,
Didnt do the dyno, since the noise was like a ripped exhaust instead of anything approaching mean, or raw so I just skipped the dyno. Didnt even feel like trying it with the standard mufflers. Chris you ship all over the world????
Thanks guys....

Quick Reply: Was laying low on the Fabspeed Group Buy until....Road Test!!!