Sponsored by:

Help fitting external rear quarter trim strip

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:49 PM
gileshill
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help fitting external rear quarter trim strip

I have a 993 TARGA and have recently purchased a new pair of rear quarter window external moulding / sills sometimes called trim strip rear windoow - does anyone have any advice on how to fit this part - it the part that is located at the bottom of the rear quarter windows between the glass and the bodywork - they are ofen prone to rusting, anyway I purchased a new set and am going to attempt to fit them myself - any hints / tips would be welcome.

Thanks
Giles Hill UK
Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a search of targa here, there are a couple owners that know those Targas inside and out, one even has a spare top the last i knew. p.m. them if you can. not being a member might tie your hands a bit as to Rennlists full capabilities.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Those strips are held in by clips on each side. They are a pressure lock clip, i.e. the pressure of the sill strip against the 1/4 glass locks the strip in. They are a bit of a bear to get off and on depending on how clean your clips are. They clips are rivited to the body.You remove the strip by pushing it towards the quarter glass which should unhook the strip from the clip. I have one clip that refused to clip right and its the rear most clip which is just under the quarter glass..its a pain since I can't replace the clip. You are right, all the quarter panel trim on the 993's will tend to corrode since the water gets trapped between the body and the trim strip....dumb design.

I have done a few and some are really easy to remove and others are a total pain. I am not sure why so much varience. At least you don't intend to keep the ones you have so don't have to worry too much about ruining them.

I can try to digup some pictures if you need them.

Cheers,

Mike

PS I sold my spare top on Ebay and bought a two post hoist instead...figured that was more usefull!!

Quick Reply: Help fitting external rear quarter trim strip