993 Forum 1995-1998

Stereo w/ Hi-Fi... Can you keep nokia amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
dotcomhusker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo w/ Hi-Fi... Can you keep nokia amp

First, if there is an existing thread that addresses this I couldn't find it. Searched here quite a bit.

So I just bought a JVC KD-NX5000 in head unit for my 993. In trying to not go overboard (which I always do), I thought I would leave the speakers & amp as-is (if possible), first JUST replace the head unit and see how it sounds. Of course if it sucks then I can replace the amp and/or speakers.

What is sitting in my living room:
head unit
crutchfield wiring harness
sirius receiver for the jvc unit
(unrelated) new v1 w/ remote display, case, heh heh.

Can I keep the stock amp and simply integrate with it? Thanks to all in advance
Old 04-13-2007, 12:36 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

I know that this is not the point of your thread, but I did the V1 hardwire and remote install (in tach) on the P-car.com website and it is very easy.

The only think is that I am having a little touble with my Tach now - it is about 500 rpm's hig, I need to take back out and re-do. I would highly recommend doing this yourself.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

As long as the JVC unit has "pre-amp" outputs... you should be fine...

Just checked Crutchfield... Phew! that bad boys pricey!

Looks like it has a "pre-amp output", at least it's mentioned in the "package contents" section.

Best of luck.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

The way I did it, I can keep the Nokia amp functional and also have RCA outputs to send to other amp(s). I'm doing my sound upgrade incrementally.
I made a harness so I could tap off the factory harness without cutting any factory wires. Granted, I'm sticking with the CDR-210 for now which is different than what you're proposing, but you could do something like I did with the harness for your new head.

Non-Invasive Harness DIY
Old 04-13-2007, 02:38 PM
dotcomhusker
Advanced

Thanks much for the replies.

The nokia takes pre-amp ins, is it that easy? I had checked the amp under the seat didn't see RCA ins, although just gave it a glance, I'll look more closely tonight.

Yeah, it's not cheap, got it through pricegrabber so didn't pay near retail. Wanted nav but didn't want to go a motorized screen, not my thing. We'll see how the dinky screen works out. Either way, I still like the HD space for music and the flexibility of multiple music/vid file formats. Also liked the fact that it had quite a bit of functionality w/o looking too bling like some of the many other head units out there. I'm sure when the unit is actually ON though it'll be plenty bling for my taste.

And yes, this is early in my trek down the slippery slope. Next up: PSS9 DIY, wheel upgrade.

Rennlist rocks.

Thanks again!

Last edited by dotcomhusker; 04-13-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Stereo w/ Hi-Fi... Can you keep nokia amp