Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Stereo w/ Hi-Fi... Can you keep nokia amp (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/344477-stereo-w-hi-fi-can-you-keep-nokia-amp.html)

dotcomhusker 04-12-2007 11:27 PM

Stereo w/ Hi-Fi... Can you keep nokia amp

First, if there is an existing thread that addresses this I couldn't find it. Searched here quite a bit.

So I just bought a JVC KD-NX5000 in head unit for my 993. In trying to not go overboard (which I always do), I thought I would leave the speakers & amp as-is (if possible), first JUST replace the head unit and see how it sounds. Of course if it sucks then I can replace the amp and/or speakers.

What is sitting in my living room:
head unit
crutchfield wiring harness
sirius receiver for the jvc unit
(unrelated) new v1 w/ remote display, case, heh heh.

Can I keep the stock amp and simply integrate with it? Thanks to all in advance

Kcreager1 04-13-2007 12:36 AM

I know that this is not the point of your thread, but I did the V1 hardwire and remote install (in tach) on the P-car.com website and it is very easy.

The only think is that I am having a little touble with my Tach now - it is about 500 rpm's hig, I need to take back out and re-do. I would highly recommend doing this yourself.

grmnxtc 04-13-2007 01:32 AM

As long as the JVC unit has "pre-amp" outputs... you should be fine...

Just checked Crutchfield... Phew! that bad boys pricey!

Looks like it has a "pre-amp output", at least it's mentioned in the "package contents" section.

Best of luck.

Toddimus 04-13-2007 03:18 AM

The way I did it, I can keep the Nokia amp functional and also have RCA outputs to send to other amp(s). I'm doing my sound upgrade incrementally.
I made a harness so I could tap off the factory harness without cutting any factory wires. Granted, I'm sticking with the CDR-210 for now which is different than what you're proposing, but you could do something like I did with the harness for your new head.

Non-Invasive Harness DIY

dotcomhusker 04-13-2007 02:38 PM

Thanks much for the replies.

The nokia takes pre-amp ins, is it that easy? I had checked the amp under the seat didn't see RCA ins, although just gave it a glance, I'll look more closely tonight.

Yeah, it's not cheap, got it through pricegrabber so didn't pay near retail. Wanted nav but didn't want to go a motorized screen, not my thing. We'll see how the dinky screen works out. Either way, I still like the HD space for music and the flexibility of multiple music/vid file formats. Also liked the fact that it had quite a bit of functionality w/o looking too bling like some of the many other head units out there. I'm sure when the unit is actually ON though it'll be plenty bling for my taste. :)

And yes, this is early in my trek down the slippery slope. Next up: PSS9 DIY, wheel upgrade.

Rennlist rocks. :rockon:

Thanks again!