Sponsored by:

Ride Height ?-ROW MO30 w/HD's and Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:44 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
thanks Jeff, while we are at it...what about corner balancing. I have done some research and found that it is overkill for street use....do you agree with this?
Be prepared for some blasphemy....

Is corner balancing "required" for street use? No. Getting an even ride height is going to get you most of the way there considering the limited performance envelope experienced during even aggressive street use.

That said, and in line with jimbo's comment, the illogical part is spending the money on the new equipment and installation/alignment and yet not going that little extra way in getting a corner balance done.

I can see both side of this for street use and don't fault anyone either way.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Just to be clear, the italicized post above is not a straight quote from my DIY.

That said, I think Wayne was simply telling 95 C4 993 that he should maximize the camber on the front wheels. I don't think I would agree with this.

Depending on the install, the car, the powertrain, and the driving mission, this could be way overkill and very destructive to tire life.

In my case, my front camber was set at about -1.5 for agreesive street driving. It certainly effected tire wear, even at this setting. The rears were set at about -1.7-1.8. It should be noted that my car was a C4 (read: understeer). These settings are greater than even RS specs.

There are some here who have front cambers over -2.0 (IIRC around -2.2-2.4), but this is more critical for track use.
With all this talk of camber, do most of these suspension kits come with camber plates, so that you could adjust between street and track settings? I'll be shopping for a kit soon and am wondering if it would be a good idea to get a set of camber plates regardless? thanks...
Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on how you plan to use the car.

With a typical Bilstein/M030 setup lowered to RS or ROW Sport, you can usually get a little over -2 degrees of camber up front. In a C4S, you will probably need more front camber than RWD models, but unless this is for track use, you could most likely go without camber plates.

It really depends on what you plan to buy and how you plan to use it. Once you've narrowed down the choices, I'd post here for advice/confirmation.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:45 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

With respect to ride height, if anyone would like a starting point in terms of perch heights -- I can forward (once I return home tonight) intitial settings I generally start with.

Below is one we did Sunday as an example

Quick Reply: Ride Height ?-ROW MO30 w/HD's and Sway Bars