Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Targa Roof problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Leanit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my 1996 Targa Saturday. Among its few little things needing attention was some god-awful wind noise from the seam where the deflector meets the leading edge of the roof panel. By pushing up on the crossbar at the front of the roof panel, I could silence it, but if left to itself, it nearly drowned the engine music.

When I got home, I loosened the bolts on the deflector and made sure it was as "down" as possible, then retightened them. Then I did the same with the front carrier of the roof, making sure it was as "up" as possible. Quick blast out to the highway for a high-speed test run. Fixed!

- Matt

PS: My God, what a car this is!

Last edited by Leanit; 03-18-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the Targa Matt!
Pictures please.
If you want to know how the rest of the top works, I did a write up at http://www.pcarworkshop.com.
Mikej also has the TSBs for the Targa on that site.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt,

Welcome to the glass roof Targa community! You'll love it.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome, and congrats on the easy fix!

-Chris
Old 01-06-2010, 01:08 AM
ralphoz
7th Gear

I have a '96 plated MY07 Targa in Arena Red and absolutely love it. I've had it for just on a year and the shade recently malfunctioned and my local Porsche Centre replaced a couple of bits at a cost of about $360 inc labour and it now works fine. Can't beat the open top at night and closed in the rain it's sensational. No noise, no leaks so far at about 65,000 miles. Roads in Australia are woeful and it still doesn't rattle or creak. Sprayed a little rust preventive liquid in between the top and body at the rear to keep any invisible rust at bay (only because I'd read that they can rust in that area.) I suspect that it's a lot more likely where there is salt on the roads in winter. Recently did a country trip on bad roads and the rubber seal betwen the top and body started to herniate, but i massaged it back in . I suspect it was becasue of the lubrication effect of the liquid i applied. I think that a coupe would be less trouble but hey, if you want something without trouble don't buy a 14 year old Porsche, go for a new Honda or Toyota!! Just suck it up, enjoy it, fix it if it breaks, and enjoy the view.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:31 AM
ralphoz
7th Gear

One piece of very sound advice given to me was not to operate the topwhile accelerating or decelerating or while on uneven ground. The rationale begind not doing it at speed is that the glass is heavy and the additonal weight while accelerating or decelerating is more likely to make it slip on the drive gears. On uneven ground it's a lot more likely to jump a tooth on the gear if it's harder to move on one side due to friction/binding. If you want to open or close it while on the move, pick smotth road and coast while moving it.
Old 11-06-2023, 03:44 PM
yummego
3rd Gear

Hi Chris - I'm having similar issues, pointed our in your comments on #1 and #3.

for #1, any chance you could take a photo of which nut I need to adjust? You mention one nut on each side, but I see more than 1 nut...
Old 11-06-2023, 04:13 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yummego
Hi Chris - I'm having similar issues, pointed our in your comments on #1 and #3.

for #1, any chance you could take a photo of which nut I need to adjust? You mention one nut on each side, but I see more than 1 nut...
Hi yummego,

I sold the Targa about 10 years ago, so don't have a way to take the photo now. But, attached is the TSB from Porsche on the Targa top adjustment procedures. The nut is the one shown in Figure 2 on Page 3.

Congratulations! You get today's resurrected thread award!

-Chris
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
targa_top_noises.pdf (1,002.1 KB, 31 views)

Quick Reply: Targa Roof problems?