Which helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 01:01 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Which helmet

Happy Easter everyone!
I took my introductory course (PCA) at the track yesterday and I think I am hooked! Now I need the track junkies' opinion concerning helmet choice: open face of full face? What are the pros and cons? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Real race car drivers don't use open face helmets. I think it is worth the extra cost for a full face. Plus, I saw a C6 vette get into an accident last year at VIR with a open face helmet and he had a huge gash on his check after the impact.

I just bought a nice new Bell M4 helmet from www.ogracing.com
Old 04-08-2007, 01:16 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full face
Old 04-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool I am glad I am not the only Nut on Rennlist on Easter...but,

Imaging your head is a bowling ball, on a spring (your neck). You stop suddenly, the bowling ball wants to continue forward. Wouldn’t it make sense that the helmet we put on the bowling ball should be as light as possible? With helmets, you really pay for extra lightness….but just like divorce, it costs so much because its worth it!

I would also want a helmet that readily accommodated the present or future attachment of a HANS device. You’ll also need 5 point belts to mount up a HANS device.

Enclosed VS Open Face Helmet? The jury is in on this, get a closed face helmet. It provides more protection for things like your nose, your teeth, your chin…your face in general.

Parachutes, helmets, seat belts are three (3) things that come to mind that you don’t want to skimp on. Your kid’s college funds? Maybe, but not on safety gear for you and yours. In conclusion, get the best helmet you can afford.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:27 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a motorcycle rider, I'll tell you that a full face will get a little stuffy at times. Watch the next sport bike rider you see at an intersection. The face shield is often flipped up until they're back up to speed. Can't beat it for protection, and if you ever do ride, they wifey will definitely like the more secure feeling with almost zero wind in her face. For the driver, that translates to more clear and focused vision as well.

Gold Wing and NASCAR drivers prefer open face. Draw your own conclusions

Wasn't there a NASCAR driver nameed Dick Trickle (not kidding) who used to smoke in the racecar? Ony in an open face, I guess!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:04 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, sounds like the full face is the preferred option for obvious protection reasons. Time to go shopping now.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:32 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Gold Wing and NASCAR drivers prefer open face. Draw your own conclusions
NASCAR hasn't allowed open face helmets for over 5 years.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:03 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Arnaud, sounds like you had fun. Still too much damn snow up here to get the car on the road. When's the next track event you're heading to? Saturday meets?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:23 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
Full face
+1 but I wondered about using a open face helmet too.

I use the same helmet I used tracking my motorcycle. Check the PCA requirements.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:31 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Arnaud, sounds like you had fun. Still too much damn snow up here to get the car on the road. When's the next track event you're heading to? Saturday meets?
Yes Matt, lots of fun ! Surprisingly, my favorite part was the track (friends had told me the skid pad is the best part). Now I want to go the track BIG TIME! I am going to shop around for a helmet first and then look for a DE (PCA) this summer (possibly July 20-22 at Mosport but more likely September 22/23 at Mosport).
Saturday meets are still on (same time, same place, check the Rennlist Canada forum). I will not attend the next three (traveling to Europe and Asia) but the other usual suspects will be there (we had almost 15 cars last Saturday, not sure about yesterday because I was at Mosport having fun).
See ya!
Old 04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was some concern raised a few years ago about use of full face helmets in airbag equipped cars. I cannot remember the details or how the jury voted on that one, but at the time I elected to go with a full face in my airbag car. You might want to do a google search on it.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:34 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

From the SCCA website.

...it is highly recommended full face helmets not be used with functional airbag systems.

Quick Reply: Which helmet