Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ruf First Track Event (pics) Good News and Bad (Longish)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 07:20 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool Pong!!

Pretty lucky getting Brandon too... apparently he has spent a LOT of time at that track. I'd guess you couldn't get better instruction and it was probably entertaining too. That guys has a lot of energy

At least it ended well for ya. Could have been much worse, as you said.
Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:26 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Steve,

Here is the Thunderhill event calender for the rest of the year.
http://www.thunderhill.com/html/get_...ill_at_the.HTM

If I go again, this their driving school I would attend.
http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

Why don't you look this over and see if anything strikes your fancy. Thunderhill is a good 7 hours drive from you. If we go, we'd overnight in Willows. We can share a room for about $40 per person. Thunderhill is super hot in the summer, and I will be very busy until at least July this year, so a late date (Oct/Nov) etc may be better. I originally did not think I will track again, but if you and Don want to join, I'm game.

Danny,

Another thing I consider is the cost of tracking. This P/F event is relatively cheap ($250 for the event). But throw in the brake fluid, lodging/food, race gas, CD momento, etc. etc. I calculated that day ran me $1,000. And this is enjoyment just for myself. Two days like this and I can pay my share of a lovely cruise on the Celebrity Summit, and have a wonderful memory that my wife also savors. While I know I can afford it, but for the family entertainment $$$$, tracking is not the best use of it.

CP
Old 04-07-2007, 07:29 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by MarkD
Cool Pong!!

Pretty lucky getting Brandon too... apparently he has spent a LOT of time at that track. I'd guess you couldn't get better instruction and it was probably entertaining too. That guys has a lot of energy

At least it ended well for ya. Could have been much worse, as you said.
Thanks for sharing the story and pics.
Mark,

Appartantly you know Brandon. He was almost on the advisory team when TH remodelled the track. That says how well he knows the place. In fact, he will be racing in the NASA event there next weekend. If I can finish my tax in time, I may go there and check it out.

CP
Old 04-07-2007, 07:32 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CP
Mark,

Appartantly you know Brandon. He was almost on the advisory team when TH remodelled the track. That says how well he knows the place. In fact, he will be racing in the NASA event there next weekend. If I can finish my tax in time, I may go there and check it out.

CP
I only know him from Roger Kraus Racing, their shop over in Castro Valley... he seems like a great guy and really knows his way around a 993 alignment too.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's amazing speed down the front straight for your first time in that car. Nice job.

I've not taken the Thunderhill class, but they take the front straight out - so you wont' see that great speed nor get a chance to learn a good high speed corner. I think GGR PCA has some of the best instructors, and the combination of their ground school and safety ethos makes it a safe event for you and your car. Beyond PCA, Trackmasters and NCRC are both good NorCal organizations that I'd run with any time.

Yup - it's an easy $1K weekend and your perspective is well taken. I just make sure that the family gets a couple of outstanding vacations, etc. before I take care of my entertainment.

I'll be spinning the Hippo at Thunderhill on the 28/29th with Mooty and some other Rennlisters and Pelicans... Hope to meet a few more of you there.

Don
Old 04-07-2007, 07:35 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by MarkD
I only know him from Roger Kraus Racing, their shop over in Castro Valley... he seems like a great guy and really knows his way around a 993 alignment too.
Very true about the alignment part. he did my alignment on the Ruf, with the proper kinematic setting and all. If I want a car set up properly for handling, he is my man.

I also met him at Roger Kraus Racing. Roger (his dad) is a great racer in his days as well.

CP
Old 04-07-2007, 07:53 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Pong,

Gulp. That's a long haul to ThunderHill from here. Gulp. How about ButtonWillow? Its just off the 5 and northish of Bakersfield. It's further for you than me, but still not too bad. Prolly 4 hrs for you, 2.5 hours for me. We can organize a "rumble" (i hate to use that term on this forum), and get some of our buds to show up.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:55 PM
CP
Race Director

Don,

Brandon hit 138 MPH on the front straight in the Ruf. I agree that for a first timer (myself), that's a lot of ***** to go 125. The Ruf has 426 HP and does 0-60 in 3.7 secs. So from a rolling start of 35 (exit turn 15) through 125 MPH, it's well within the capability of the car. If an expert racer goes 10/10 in the Ruf in that stretch, he could hit 140 MPH easy. Also, he'd take turn 1 at much higher speed that I'd ever dare, so he does not have to scrub that much speed off the car, but I know them Brembo Big Reds can hande it.

CP

Last edited by CP; 04-07-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:57 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Pong,

Gulp. That's a long haul to ThunderHill from here. Gulp. How about ButtonWillow? Its just off the 5 and northish of Bakersfield. It's further for you than me, but still not too bad. Prolly 4 hrs for you, 2.5 hours for me. We can organize a "rumble" (i hate to use that term on this forum), and get some of our buds to show up.
Steve,

Does Button Willow has walls? That's why I picked Thunderhill. It's like tracking in the Gobe Desert.

CP
Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buttonwillow has one wall, half as many as Thunderhill IIRC.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

But if you guys have a group event, I may come by just to hang and smell the buring tires and brakes.

_________
4/28-29 at TH will be a HUGE event.
i know of 10 RL's going.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:02 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CP
Steve,

Does Button Willow has walls? That's why I picked Thunderhill. It's like tracking in the Gobe Desert.

CP
TH has a deadly wall at exit of 15. i see many incidents there.

BW has wall at "sunset". they dont number the turns. they NAME them.. the position of the wall and how you have incident at "sunset" is very similar to T15 at TH.

but both are much more forgiving than infineon (the BEST track on the west) and laguna seca.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:13 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DJF1
Pong, Steve is right on about track time making you a better driver on the street. The more time you spend at higher speeds the more you are able to "listen"and feel what the car is telling you. ...

The Cayman is a different beast, I just think that driving the RUF on the track you are going to be more comfortable with that car, instead of the Cayman...
i agree.
track driving makes you safer and more aware of your surrounding on the street. it also makes you less likely to speed. now i putter right at or 5mph above speed limit.

tracking is extremely cheap for me. it reduced my avg of 15 speeding tix and lawyer fees per year to zero tix for three years. the amount i saved, i can track literally everday of the year ;-)

since you have two cars. my suggestion if learn in the ruf first. cayman is fun, but you wont enjoy why/how it's tossalbe and correctable unlike a 911 unless you drive a 911 first. so do ruf. then do cayman and then go back to 911 at the end.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:17 PM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
TH has a deadly wall at exit of 15. i see many incidents there.

BW has wall at "sunset". they dont number the turns. they NAME them.. the position of the wall and how you have incident at "sunset" is very similar to T15 at TH.

but both are much more forgiving than infineon (the BEST track on the west) and laguna seca.
Much more forgiving than Infineon. Buttonwillow and TH seem to be the friendliest. Pong - I think you would like BW. Let's Go!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:34 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by EricGT3
Much more forgiving than Infineon. Buttonwillow and TH seem to be the friendliest. Pong - I think you would like BW. Let's Go!
let me know when guys are heading down that way.
of course, eric wont caravan with me anymore. i wasn't kidding when i say i drove slow.

Quick Reply: Ruf First Track Event (pics) Good News and Bad (Longish)