Sponsored by:

Oil....Again...Mobil 1 15W-50 New Formulation

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Oil....Again...Mobil 1 15W-50 New Formulation

Ok...gentlemen (and ladies) stopped at Wal Mart on the way home to check their selection out...and purchased the "New!" M1 15W-50 @ $4.72 a quart, and 1 quart of the new 15W-50 EP @ $6.68 a quart. My old labels of M1 EP have ACEA A3, B3/B4 and API SM/CF. Both of the "New!" formulations, have API SM, SL/CF labeling for the non EP, and the EP version. So I guess they have gone back to the "classic" formulations of the "SL" version everyone said was better.

Last edited by FLYT993; 04-06-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been quietly following the oil threads, so this is interesting to me. Can't you just see the greeter geezers at Walmart welcoming some rennlisters now?

I'm curious what the community response will be to this oil. I'm no oil expert, I just want what will be best for my machine so I'll stay tuned.

Cheers,
Todd
Old 04-06-2007, 02:50 AM
mbb993
Instructor

Yup, this just showed up at the local Walmart last week here. I have been checking for it once a week because am planning an oil change this month.
I had 10 qts. of the old (new) stuff with the red cap but was able to return that batch to Target from where it came. Wonder if it's all the same stuff relabeled??

I had previously purchased a bottle of GM EOS to use as well so not sure if I need to with he new "formula" Any ideas?

The GM parts dept. told me that they no longer make the 4oz "camshaft and lifter prelube" that has been recommended as an additive on this forum. The bottle of EOS labeling specifically says that it should not be used as an oil additive. Seems odd to name it "EOS= Engine oil supplement" Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Mark:

GM always marketed & intended EOS as a break-in product where higher levels of ZDDP are required to protect all the rubbing surfaces during this critical time. After the cam and lifters were broken-in, they never intended EOS to be used at each oil change since most oils still contained sufficient EP additives.

Fast-forward to today and now some oils do not have much ZDDP at all. In certain cases, it makes more sense to use such things under the proper circumstances. After speaking with some Oil Technicians in detail, it is possible to have too much of this stuff so prudence is advised. When in doubt, "less is more",...
Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 AM
mbb993
Instructor

Thanks for the input Steve always much appreciated.

Of course the EOS bottle gives no information as to the ingredients or their concentrations. It would be helpful to know if it is the same stuff as the discontinued "cam and lifter prelub" just more volume or if it is actually more concentrated too.

That, in addition to not knowing the amount of ZDDP in the new Mobil 1 makes it impossible to guestimate. How much would you suggest I use per oil change perhaps 1/2 bottle of EOS?

I never would have believed that an oil change could be so technical!!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:54 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Ok...gentlemen (and ladies) stopped at Wal Mart on the way home to check their selection out...and purchased the "New!" M1 15W-50 @ $4.72 a quart, and 1 quart of the new 15W-50 EP @ $6.68 a quart. My old labels of M1 EP have ACEA A3, B3/B4 and API SM/CF. Both of the "New!" formulations, have API SM, SL/CF labeling for the non EP, and the EP version. So I guess they have gone back to the "classic" formulations of the "SL" version everyone said was better.

So if they are back to the normal formulations, what was that. Does anyone have a cheat sheet for the label and cap color. I need to do my first 911 oil change soon.

Also, if they have gone back to the "classic" formula which one is better EP or Non-EP.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Mark:
After speaking with some Oil Technicians in detail,
What the heck is an oil technician? Do they work at Jiffy Lube? Why dont those guys ever chime in on the boards....Names, references, companies they represent please!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"When I was brunching with Gordon Murray last week..."
Old 04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
...if they have gone back to the "classic" formula which one is better EP or Non-EP.
I have the same question....and in addition, since the EP version is ostensibly for long periods between oil changes (7k+), and Steve has said under no circumstances would he recommend running for long periods, does it even matter between the standard 15W-50 and the EP 15W-50, if you change the oil every 5k anyway?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:58 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by FLYT993
I have the same question....and in addition, since the EP version is ostensibly for long periods between oil changes (7k+), and Steve has said under no circumstances would he recommend running for long periods, does it even matter between the standard 15W-50 and the EP 15W-50, if you change the oil every 5k anyway?
Dan:

Thats a great question. AFAIK, Charles Navarro intends to test both of the revised 15w-50 M 1 products to see what their ZDDP content is, but 5K oil change intervals cannot hurt a bit,.....
Old 04-06-2007, 12:09 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just saw the "new" 15-50 at Costco last night (grey cap) and have gold cap EP in the garage. I suppose if I mix it, I will breaking all rules?

Mobil should should use the Granimals marketing technique. You pick up tag that matches your car and match it to the correct oil. I guess keeping things simple would make it too difficult.

Thats why I love In and Out Burger. Burger, fries, shake or drink--of course 15 secret variations-flying dutchman, animal something, ect. Keep it simple.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:09 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by tj90
What the heck is an oil technician? Do they work at Jiffy Lube? Why dont those guys ever chime in on the boards....Names, references, companies they represent please!

TJ:

I'm not sure I understand the tone of your note but I've simply taken some time out of my day to track down technical personnel at some of the oil manufacturers (Mobil, Brad-Penn, Redline, and some others) to learn more about this incredibly complex subject.

These kind folks never heard of RL, much less post here, but they were kind enough to help educate me and help put what I've observed into context.

Please feel free to do the same thing so you find out what you want, first-hand. Just remember to factor what they tell you with engine building experience so you understand the big picture.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Dan:

Thats a great question. AFAIK, Charles Navarro intends to test both of the revised 15w-50 M 1 products to see what their ZDDP content is, but 5K oil change intervals cannot hurt a bit,.....
Charles has tested the "new" non-EP (grey) stuff and it has the same ZDDP levels as the EP stuff (gold).
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2007, 09:38 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

TJ:

I'm not sure I understand the tone of your note but I've simply taken some time out of my day to track down technical personnel at some of the oil manufacturers (Mobil, Brad-Penn, Redline, and some others) to learn more about this incredibly complex subject.

These kind folks never heard of RL, much less post here, but they were kind enough to help educate me and help put what I've observed into context.

Please feel free to do the same thing so you find out what you want, first-hand. Just remember to factor what they tell you with engine building experience so you understand the big picture.
Steve, what did you hear from the Redline folks? What is your experience with their products? I am interested in trying them out with the current M1 imbrogolio.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Kevin:

Redline seems to have chosen the path of ignoring the Energy-Saving oil market and the SM-rated stuff blended to meet EPA regulations.

My experience is that their lubricants are very high quality and well suited to Porsche engines without the need for any supplements or additives. Good stuff!!!

(Exxon-Mobil was really one of the toughest companies to locate an engineer conversant and knowlegable about lubricants, but I think I'll track down the person I spoke with to inquire what the precise differences between the various 15w-50 products are.)

Quick Reply: Oil....Again...Mobil 1 15W-50 New Formulation