Sponsored by:

RSRs vs LPMMs - side by side impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,190 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Default RSRs vs LPMMs - side by side impressions

Last weekend was the first AX event of the year and we had the opportunity to line up Danny's car with RSRs, Guy's car with 1.5" LPMMs against my LPMMs with 1" pipe. Here's the lowdown:

RSRs:
There is enough info and reviews from members about them that I won't go into much detail here. Bottom line, if you've got the $500 or so for core exchange, do it. Nothing beats that metallic note and the volume is just perfect for those looking for a more aggressive yet fairly inconspicuous setup.

LPMMs with 1":
Being that my car is a DD, that my SO drives it often to pick up her 7 y/o daughter from private school and that no one in my area had done LPMMs and therefore had not heard them up close and personal, I went conservative with 1" pipe figuring that it's easier to put in a larger pipe later than the other way around. With this setup, plus drilled airbox, tray delete and big ovals, my car sounds fantastic. Similar to Motorsound at idle and low RPMs but very throaty at WOT. Great for those wanting more umph than stock yet still relatively low key. The great thing about the smaller pipe is that it maintains more of the 911 higher pitch sound which seems to disappear as you get into the higher diameter pipes.

LPMM with 1.5":
The volume is equal if not a bit louder than RSRs but with a raspier, lower-key note. Sounds louder than mine at idle which I really liked and fantastic at WOT. I'm very tempted to increase to 1.5" after hearing Guy's car. Still good for city driving and won't set off any car alarms. I'd say this is the sweetspot.

LPMM with 2":
I have yet to hear it in person but have heard two or three soundclips and after hearing the 1" vs the 1.5" combined with the soundclips I would say that the 2" pipe may start getting into powerboat-type sound territory. Others with the 2" pipe may want to chime in here and offer up their 2c but my impression is that this setup will work for those who want a loud car and not so well for those with fussy neighbors.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Wilder; 04-04-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:44 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 258 Posts

LPMM-2 option ..No Problemo...sweet...turned all the heads at my last AX..

not bad for DD...once you punch it..that's another story...

would like to try it + catbypass....
Old 04-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I went with 40mm stainless, which is effectively 1.5" id: the sounds of 'sweet pain' crackled when fired up from hibernation this past weekend - I'm staying pat with that pipe size.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Here's a great soundclip posted by Caveman:

First car has RSRs, the second has LPMMs with 1.5" pipe:

http://media.putfile.com/RSRs-vs-Modified-Muffler
Old 04-04-2007, 04:32 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep - it's definitely a worthwhile mod. I've got the 2" pipe & it sounds great. I wouldn't have a problem with it as a DD. WOT is definitely louder, but with the windows up & cruising you're hearing more engine than exhaust.

Last edited by epj993; 04-04-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Fix typo.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've got 2" and its fine at low RPM. Once the car opens up people know it. it's real MEAN sounding..
Dennis And Mike have both heard it.. and can let you know what they think as 3rd parties
Old 04-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Rob: It'd be great to line up our cars and compare since I haven't heard the 2" setup. Let me know when you have some time to hook up.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
Rob: It'd be great to line up our cars and compare since I haven't heard the 2" setup. Let me know when you have some time to hook up.
If you guys do this, can you bring a video camera and take some sound bites? I'm sure a lot of Rennlisters would appreciate your side-by-side comparison.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Butzi (chef_jmr)
If you guys do this, can you bring a video camera and take some sound bites? I'm sure a lot of Rennlisters would appreciate your side-by-side comparison.
It would only make sense...
Old 04-04-2007, 05:10 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

sound bites would be awesome and much much appreciated... thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rconnon
i've got 2" and its fine at low RPM. Once the car opens up people know it. it's real MEAN sounding..
Dennis And Mike have both heard it.. and can let you know what they think as 3rd parties
Okay, i can pitch in. I did my mufflers at the same time a Guy and we chose 1.5" based on the "three bears principle", which is 1" was just too soft, 2" was just too hard so 1.5" should be just right.. ;-)

Rob, I like the sound of the 2" pipes so don't get me wrong but there are a bit too loud if I am coming in late a night and are pulling into the garage. While driving Rob's car the difference was not that noticable but I can rear Rob coming about a block away...

Its amazing on what the idle difference is where I found LJ was not too noticable from stock at idle but Rob's is just rumbling at idle. Note that not all mufflers are equal as well ; their loudness depends on the mileage and wear that the muffler has.

Rob's car on the track would be great to hear though...

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by Mike J; 04-04-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM
rconnon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess my opinion is a bit skewed as i'm always IN the car :P but i do drive with the radio off and the windows down - Luis i agree on hooking up and comparing.. and capturing some vids..

i'm going to try make it next weekend (14th) - i'm going down to seattle this weekend, then the weekend of the 21st then the 5th of May so the 14th would make 4trips in a row and my sister just had a baby boy last sunday so i need to figure out if i can swing the time.

i cant wait for summer!
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm leaning towards the RSR mod but I would still like to check and compare the LPMM one.
I hope you guys are planning to attend the next AutoX this month on April 21st so we can compare....

Cheers

Last edited by jo-hans; 04-04-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Okay, i can pitch in. I did my mufflers at the same time a Guy and we chose 1.5" based on the "three bears principle", which is 1" was just too soft, 2" was just too hard so 1.5" should be just right.. ;-)
Taking that and adding the corollary that "more is better", I just got my 1 5/8" tube from Burns this week :-)
Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have (and have heard others with) the LPMM with 2" pipe... it's interesting that some consider this loud.

Even at WOT I have to have the windows down to hear the "music" at any significant volume. I don't even worry about coming/going in the dark hours of the day. I guess I have forgotten the original (too quiet) exhaust note.
Maybe I'm just going deaf in my old age

Though it is dry here in NorCal... air density definitely plays a role.

That said, it's excellent of our Northern brothers to document the differences for others here. Cool stuff. Can't wait to hear the side by side comparos.

Quick Reply: RSRs vs LPMMs - side by side impressions