Total 911 Goes Digital......

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 09:08 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Total 911 Goes Digital......

Hey folks,

I just received this from the editors of Total 911 magazine - and I think not only is it "cool", but breaks new grounds for Digital Publishing in the Porsche world. I hope you find it as intriguing as I do!!

Quote:

Press release

3 April 2007

Total 911 Digital Edition is available now

Total 911 is the world’s only magazine dedicated to the Porsche 911. And now enthusiasts around the world can now read this superb publication on their computer screens, using the groundbreaking Digital Edition – a world first for a Porsche title.

This is great news, because it gives a convenient alternative to the printed page that you can read on your computer using free-to-download software (Mac and Windows) that even emulates the pages turning over, to give an enjoyable reading experience. And where there’s a link to a website, you just click on it and you’re taken straight to the site! There is also the potential to view videos of 911s in action through the pages. It is so much better than the static PDF files that some magazines offer. It allows you to store all those back-issues without taking up valuable bookshelf space.

It can also save you money, too – in the USA, for instance, a digital subscription to Total 911 is, for a limited period, just $39.99 (£19.99 in the UK).

Don’t worry if you prefer traditional magazines, though; the beautifully printed and bound paper edition of Total 911 continues to be available. Indeed, why not subscribe to both and get the best of both worlds?

To find out more, go to http://www.total911.com or call 0845 450 6464.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to subscribe to this mag. Good read and informative although it relates more to the UK (Love the paper they use in Europe).
Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

using free-to-download software
Uh Oh. Proprietary viewer warning...
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this a bad thing?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:43 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Can be. Spent way too much time trying to get the boss' PC set up to read NYT or something. That type of software is often so security heavy that it's effectively spyware. Lots of tracking and "phone home" , plus limits on how you can view/use the content, limits on how long you can keep the file, etc.

Not saying this one will be that bad, but everyone that I've seen (and that I've been pitched on--we're a publisher) is very kludgy from the user perspective.

There are two very comprehensively featured viewers that everyone already has: a web browser and Adobe Acrobat. Want to make me download a new application? There better be a darn good reason.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Nice idea, but I'm not buying it unless it's in PDF format.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use PDF format ans I'm for it....

Won't be downloading any applet to read a rag...
Old 04-03-2007, 01:58 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and the price that shows up on Zinio is 91.26 USD...

Not sure what the deal is.
I'll be sticking with the hard copy.

GREAT magazine, btw. Hardly a "rag".
Makes excellence look like one though.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, thanks John for posting this.

The reader software is Zinio - works very well and we've not had any problems with it. Once you've downloaded an issue it's yours to keep for ever. It has advantages over PDF - the pages 'turn' like a real magazine and, from our point of view, it is easier to control copyright. Within the next day or so you'll be able to view a sample of T911 via your web browser.

The price is US$39.99 - I'll get that amended today, a teething problem!

Mark, thanks for your kind words, glad you like T911.

Cheers

Phil
Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

it is easier to control copyright
Is it possible to--for example--highlight a paragraph of text and copy and paste it? This is 100% legal "fair use" under U.S. copyright law and it very useful for pointing out a tech tip or particularly useful idea from an article. Unfortunately, it is often disabled in these sorts of reader applications. How about clicking on an image to set it as my PC's desktop background?
Old 04-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Is it possible to--for example--highlight a paragraph of text and copy and paste it? This is 100% legal "fair use" under U.S. copyright law and it very useful for pointing out a tech tip or particularly useful idea from an article. Unfortunately, it is often disabled in these sorts of reader applications. How about clicking on an image to set it as my PC's desktop background?
I don't think that is possible, but then you couldn't do that with a printed magazine, either. You could take a screen shot or, even better, drop me an email and I'd be happy to supply you with what you need.

Cheers

Phil

Quick Reply: Total 911 Goes Digital......