Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Looking for 2nd P-Car 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 02:42 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,781 Likes on 1,705 Posts

If you clarify what you want a 993 for, we might be able to help better with less bias opinions.

Would the 993 become your DD or sit in the garage six days/week?
Do you want to track it or joy ride in it?
Will you need more power than what you've got now or can you live with less?
Is this a car you want to work on/mod or turn the key and drive?
Are you on a budget or are you happy to drop $70k on a 993? Would you be happy with a $30k car provided it doesn't need $10k worth of work?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:27 AM
993Dude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
I would buy a mint 1998 and drive it on nice days and leave it in the garage on the not-so-nice days.

Leave the 997 outside.

In a few months, you will realize this was the correct choice.

I can't breathe!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

PM'd you with what I hope is some useful info. Good luck with your search.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:32 AM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Seriously, some of us don't have the time or ability to put a lot of miles on their cars and we want a nice 993. I decided, based on my parameters and my usage, to buy the best 1998 C2S I could find. I knew I would not put a lot of miles on it and I want as close to new (within reason) as I could find.

I think I choose well.

I put miles on a daily driver and take the 993 out when the situation allows.

The 993 stays in the garage and the new car is outside.
I hear you. I would love to have mint 993, but I am out of garage space and I live in the city, so 1 car has to go on the street. If, I'm going to own two P-cars, I can't also then deal with a third daily driver. So, I'm thinking, older car goes outside and all the rest that goes with that.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 AM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdistefa
I think the word is that Tim Holt is a stand-up guy.

Thank you for that. That helps a great deal.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 AM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by csertich
If it's going to be an outside car, go for the higher mileage, less expensive 993's. Your only problem is that you are going to fall in love with the 993 and worry about it as much as the 997. Then you'll be out shopping for Another daily driver....

chuck

I think there is a danger of that happening, but I just don't have room for a fourth car (including wife's MB) so, leaning toward lower price, higher mileage less worry
Old 04-03-2007, 09:43 AM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
If you clarify what you want a 993 for, we might be able to help better with less bias opinions.

Would the 993 become your DD or sit in the garage six days/week?
Do you want to track it or joy ride in it?
Will you need more power than what you've got now or can you live with less?
Is this a car you want to work on/mod or turn the key and drive?
Are you on a budget or are you happy to drop $70k on a 993? Would you be happy with a $30k car provided it doesn't need $10k worth of work?

Great questions.

1.) I think I would mix it up. I am semi retired, so I don't commute. I work out of my home, but do have meetings to go to from time to time. One of the two P's would have to sit on the street. Although we live in a nice area of the city, it's still on the street.
2.) No tracking in my plans. I just like driving a great handling/performing car.
3.) I don't plan to do any mods, but I'll bet a lot of guys start out thinking that. If I did do any mods they would be things I have read about that generally benefit the 993, but nothing big.
4.) I'm not on a budget, but I did just drop $85K on the 997.

I think your last question is the key. I would be happier with a $30k car that did not need a lot of work, was dependable and maybe even had a couple dings or warts that make it a $30k car. That way I am not trying to pamper a collector car, if that makes sense?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 AM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Makes all the sense in the world, your last statement. Now what I did, but if you are going to park it on the street, the only way to go.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by AShearer
Great questions.

1.) I think I would mix it up. I am semi retired, so I don't commute. I work out of my home, but do have meetings to go to from time to time. One of the two P's would have to sit on the street. Although we live in a nice area of the city, it's still on the street.
2.) No tracking in my plans. I just like driving a great handling/performing car.
3.) I don't plan to do any mods, but I'll bet a lot of guys start out thinking that. If I did do any mods they would be things I have read about that generally benefit the 993, but nothing big.
4.) I'm not on a budget, but I did just drop $85K on the 997.

I think your last question is the key. I would be happier with a $30k car that did not need a lot of work, was dependable and maybe even had a couple dings or warts that make it a $30k car. That way I am not trying to pamper a collector car, if that makes sense?

There's a local guy on Dorki selling his Targa.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AShearer
Based on this, I too agree that you should stay away from the ultra-low mile examples and look at something in the $30 to $40k range with higher mileage but well cared for and not in need of too much work (get a thorough PPI). If I were you, I'd look at something different from your C2S. It snows were you live. I'd look specifically for a C4. Many here will tell you that AWDs handle better than 4WD SUVs in the snow with proper tires. That'd be fun and maybe it's the car you drive when you wouldn't otherwise dare to drive the C2S. The Targa suggestion is also good since it'll give you variety and a sense of open-car driving. I have a cab and Danny is right, there is something special about driving with the top down. This is especially true for those of us who can afford a couple of sports cars. However, a cab may not be the best option if it's going to sit outside. I hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any 993 will be so different from you 997, that you don't need to go Cab or 4S to see a difference. Trust me.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by csertich
If it's going to be an outside car, go for the higher mileage, less expensive 993's. Your only problem is that you are going to fall in love with the 993 and worry about it as much as the 997. Then you'll be out shopping for Another daily driver....

chuck
I wholeheartedly agree
Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Ron Adair
Racer

If the 993 is going to be sleeping outside, it doesn't make sense to buy a primo low mileage one for upwards of $50K plus mods.

Spend less and you'll sleep better.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:22 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

It's funny but when I had both my Cayenne Turbos they went outside....even though they were newer and more expensive.

If you buy a nice 993, your 997 will sit outside, I promise you that.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
AShearer
Instructor

Originally Posted by LJ in Van
Based on this, I too agree that you should stay away from the ultra-low mile examples and look at something in the $30 to $40k range with higher mileage but well cared for and not in need of too much work (get a thorough PPI). If I were you, I'd look at something different from your C2S. It snows were you live. I'd look specifically for a C4. Many here will tell you that AWDs handle better than 4WD SUVs in the snow with proper tires. That'd be fun and maybe it's the car you drive when you wouldn't otherwise dare to drive the C2S. The Targa suggestion is also good since it'll give you variety and a sense of open-car driving. I have a cab and Danny is right, there is something special about driving with the top down. This is especially true for those of us who can afford a couple of sports cars. However, a cab may not be the best option if it's going to sit outside. I hope this helps.
Good thoughts. Definitely for us, the Cab is out. Targa is a possibility, but rare enough that it really narrows the field alot.

Quick Reply: Looking for 2nd P-Car 993