Sponsored by:

Recaro A8's vs Sportster CS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Default Recaro A8's vs Sportster CS?

I am posting here because more of you guys seam to fit after market seats than on the 964 forum.

I was originally interested in the Sportster CS when the were talking about a carbon fiber back. Apparently that will not be available for the US market.

I am looking for a set of seats for my turbo and since the 993 and 964 interiors are identical dimensionally I was curious what experiences you have had with either of these seats. I am a big broad shouldered person and am concerned the A8 might be a tight fit for me. I sat in the Sportster CS's and they are much better looking in person and very comfortable.

I am looking into having a set of the A8's shipped over from Autopolsterei in Germany. Has anyone purchased from them? I was also curious if anyone had the backs painted to match the color of their car?

Any pics or comments would be appreciated on fit, comfort and whatever else you could think of.

Thanks
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=recaro
Old 03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Anthnoy. I am in no position to give you any feedback on thisone, sorry. However, I do think the a8s looks SO cool (especially colourmatched). I assume the picture you attached was from Tony (airkuulTT). Looks maginficent and imagine those hardbacks in Cobaltblue... AWESOME . What about factory hardback sportseats? The are a little more expensive but then you get the powerseats and heated seats as well.. Maybe thats not an issue for you.. Nice of you to chime in here, would love to see you here more often . What about lumbar support, any differences between the different seats?
Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link.

I asked Tony for some input. I am concerned he sent me a pic of Tony's seats in his car as what I interpreted as being his work.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Hi Anthnoy. I am in no position to give you any feedback on thisone, sorry. However, I do think the a8s looks SO cool (especially colourmatched). I assume the picture you attached was from Tony (airkuulTT). Looks maginficent and imagine those hardbacks in Cobaltblue... AWESOME . What about factory hardback sportseats? The are a little more expensive but then you get the powerseats and heated seats as well.. Maybe thats not an issue for you.. Nice of you to chime in here, would love to see you here more often . What about lumbar support, any differences between the different seats?

Thanks,

Actually I had a set of hardback 993TT sport seats 8 way adjustable with heat and Supple leather I had purchased but the owner recently realized the new seats he purchased don't fit, so he asked if he could back out of the deal.

I haven't been able to find another set and if I am going to go manual sport seats I might as well go with the A8's.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello Anthony, I have a set of 993 sport seats, if you are interested. Check your PM.
Thanks in advance..AL Z
Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM
titleist1
Racer

I have the A8 driver seat available, great seat, just taking my car back to stock.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Thanks,

Actually I had a set of hardback 993TT sport seats 8 way adjustable with heat and Supple leather I had purchased but the owner recently realized the new seats he purchased don't fit, so he asked if he could back out of the deal.

I haven't been able to find another set and if I am going to go manual sport seats I might as well go with the A8's.
Doh, that's too bad.. I love 'em. But I get the point, if you are going manual why not go the a8 route.. They are probably a better bang for the buck anyways.. Are you concerned about the weight of the seats? I think that the A8s are lighter than the hardback sportseats as well.. Here in Sweden we have to think about things like seat heating as well, but I guess thats not an issue over there . Good luck in your search
Old 03-29-2007, 04:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Doh, that's too bad.. I love 'em. But I get the point, if you are going manual why not go the a8 route.. They are probably a better bang for the buck anyways.. Are you concerned about the weight of the seats? I think that the A8s are lighter than the hardback sportseats as well.. Here in Sweden we have to think about things like seat heating as well, but I guess thats not an issue over there . Good luck in your search
Thanks

No cosmetics and comfort more than anything. My stock seats are perfect but have no support and grab me in the shoulder blades. The hard backed 993 seats I think are the most comfortable Porsche made. I don't mind swapping an 80 pound seat for one that weighs the same. Although no harm in weight reduction. Power to weight ratio improvement would be negligible . I don't need heat but it is nice to have. Most of the time if it is cold enough for heat it is too cold to drive on summer tires.

I am leaning towards the A8's right now although I am not sure how I would fit being so wide in the shoulders.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Anthony:

FWIW, today I went to a shop that had the CS along with many other Recaro seat models. I have also owned / restored A8's.

Here are my observations:

1.) The CS is a wonderful cross purpose seat. It's about as close to a fixed back as you can get. It sits very much like a "pole position" amd less like the other street Recaros.

2.) The CS is constructed MUCH BETTER than the A8 was. The CS has the look of the A8 with an "exo" framework, but is not rivetted like the A8.

3.) The base of the CS is built more like the sport sportline as opposed to the SRD/A8/Speed models. There is more of an open steel framework to the bottom mounting than the traditional "Pirelli" strapping.

4.) The CS sits quite low, maybe even lower than the SRD/A8 base.

5.) The only drawback might be color choices. If you like black, the seat is awesome !!! If not, the color choices seem quite "youthful" over classic.

Enjoy !
Old 03-30-2007, 12:08 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

So how are the thighs? I always worry when I see high thigh bolsters like that that I'll end up with my legs clamped together all the time. Not so fun for more casual driving.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Jon:

The thigh bolster are not a high as the SRD's. The booty hold is still good, but much easier on the legs. I would think this helps with a lot of fitments.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Jim,

Thanks for the comparison. I was very impressed by the CS when I sat in it. I found it to be very solid and extremely comfortable. Although the seat was in a Masseratti so i could not tell how low it sat.

I have never seen or sat in an A8 and from what I hear there are 2 generations, the first being somewhat flimsy with the second being more solid.

Based on input from others who have them I was thinking of going with the A8 but now you have me second guessing myself.

This is for a street car and it will be shown often. The CS will look more stock and the A8 would be a lot more bling especially if I paint the seat backs cobalt to match the exterior.

Decisions decisions.

I have been looking for the perfect seat for over a year and have tried others like the sparco Milano Prestige but it would not fit right. Although the leatehr was wonderful the plastic parts were cheesy for a $1600 seat.

I have a set of GT3 seats coming for my C2. Comfortable and supportive but don't like the looks. Although they are one of the few shell seats that both my wife and I can use with harnesses. From what I gather the GT3 seat is the pole position with a different top. So it sounds like you are saying the CS is like the pole position but adjustable.

Thanks for the feedback but boy this can be confusing.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:43 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Anthony, here is another thread with some A8 pics. My guess is that you have seen it already..

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/341295-goup-buy-custom-made-recaro-a8-profi-and-pole-position.html

Might be a good opportunity if you decide to go the a8 route. My vote is order a custom made a8 deat through Atan, do the seat back in cobalt and possibly also with blue stiching (or just one of these options).. Have a nice weekend!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Ok

Took the plunge and ordered what I am told is one of the few sets of black leather Sportster CS seats in the country. I decided they would work better for my application and my car is bling enough already with the cobalt blue exterior. I will let you know how they work out. Seats will be here in 2 weeks seat rails in 4.

Quick Reply: Recaro A8's vs Sportster CS?