993 Forum 1995-1998

RACK OR PUMP= PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:21 PM
polaris 993 sport
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RACK OR PUMP= PROBLEM

the steering wheel on my 95 c2 -wants to fight and come back to center when turning- and a slight hiss noise-not in the way it should-wants to fight and feels dangerous when going fast and you want to make a hard turn-replaced steering rack and pump-but problem still persists-are their different racks for different cars-mine in a factory sport chassis and suspension-check for air bubbles rubbing ect... what does anyone suggest Help
Old 03-24-2007, 05:49 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would first check the level in your power steering fluid reservoir. If low, refill, drive and check for leaks.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:59 PM
polaris 993 sport
Pro

thanks -did that-but no leaks and level was good-do you have any other thoughts perhaps-snow is gone and would like to go for a nice hard drive-which this situation prevents unless you stick to long straights
Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what happened before your symptoms started? You say you already replaced the rack AND the pump? My rack is leaky and I can tell you even when it starts running out of fluid, it makes noise on hard turns first but never really feels difficult to steer when it's moving.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:54 PM
polaris 993 sport
Pro

went to dealer up north-changed out clutch and suspension parts with any rubber components -i had the car in Hawaii for six years and any rubber is prone to rot-i was just trying to get a head of the game-after dealer-say six months steering made a hiss-my local mechanic checked and rack was leaking-replaced -still had slight problem-replaced pump and slowly it came back-and here we are.was stiff some six months ago but i have been back and forth to Europe so many times i have not had the time to deal with it-what ja think?

Quick Reply: RACK OR PUMP= PROBLEM