Sponsored by:

Wow, someone should buy this 98 C2S quickly

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 AM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

the 997 is turning into a flop just like the 996

sorry, i personally can't wear the rose colored glasses...

i have my reasons.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:19 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

The 997 is having zero impact on the 1998 C2S cars......according to those people that deal with them professionally.

The proof is in the value retention over time.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
The 997 is having zero impact on the 1998 C2S cars......according to those people that deal with them professionally.

The proof is in the value retention over time.
While your comment is given to what most would consider the most highly desirable 993, mine were directed to the general market. I'm ambivalent toward any market and its' anomalies - and time has always been a factor in any market.

I am curious in regard to oalvarez's reasons.

Noah
Old 03-25-2007, 01:18 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,190 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Johnathan: This is exactly my line of thinking, however, I've got a replaceable 993, if there is such a thing. The decision would be much tougher if I had your car.

DC: If by "the people that deal with them professionally" you refer to the few dealers that sell the concourse, low-mile examples of 993s for top dollar, why would you think they would say anything but? They have to say that to protect their business. I, on the other hand, doubt that EVERY single person that owns a 993S will keep that car forever and never trade it. This is why examples such as the one for sale that is the theme of this post come up for sale from time to time.

oalvarez: care to share your reasons? I too would be interested in what you have to say...
Old 03-25-2007, 01:33 AM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The 996's and now 997's are just another 'luxury brand' that has become very popular with the trendy crowd who want to be seen in a Porsche. Yes there are still hard core Porsche drivers who want the latest but for many people this is just another hi-end car to lease for a few years and then move on to something else. The problem is that when the market gets flooded with these cars, the price goes down. What you are seeing with 997 prices is the same thing you would see with a BMW or Mercedes or Lexus, very typical.
The 993 wide body cars on the other hand are much fewer in number, so the prices are higher because of it. If there were as many 993 c2s's sold as there is today, the prices would be much lower. The farther we get away from the air cooled era the more, clean, low KM cars will retain their value. Yes 10 years from now a 993 C2S will be worth good money, a 996 or 997 will just be another used hi-end car.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:38 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope, I do not refer to them.

One person that comes to mind is Alfie from Ira Porsche - Rennlist Sponsor - who sells 997's and is familar with the market. He sees no overlap between the buyers of these cars. In simplier terms, some people look specifically for a 1998 widebody and others are looking for a new 911. He has made it clear to me that if I ever want to sell my car, he can find a buyer in very short order and at a price that is consistent with my views on thie market.

Or you could ask Dave Maynard, a broker (not a dealer) of used porsches how the 1998 widebody market is doing and what he thinks of its relationship to the new car market.

I enjoy these discussions because we never know who is right until it is too late.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:48 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I enjoy these discussions because we never know who is right until it is too late."

LOL!

That will not likely be the final word here, but it should be. :-)

Noah
Old 03-25-2007, 03:10 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People looking for 997's or 996's and are deciding between either of those and a 993 widebody are not the same as those folks looking specifically and solely for a 993 widebody. They ARE completely different cars and the people drawn to the 993 (specifically the widebody version) know exactly what I am talking about. It really isn't about what one can afford as much as it is what one is actively seeking.

It may be that same look that weakens the market value of the 993.
IMHO....The look of the 997 isn't going to weaken the 993 market like you'd think. Completely different cars that discerning owners understand.

Dave
Old 03-25-2007, 05:09 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,190 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
I enjoy these discussions because we never know who is right until it is too late.
The way I see it everybody is in more agreement than not and the areas of disagreement are the ones we're splitting hairs over. In the end, it all boils down to personal preference and opinion but I think there is some consensus in the following:

All 993s are very special cars and specifically low production S and Turbo cars can command high prices because they are rare and sought after

Every C2S that becomes available for sale is likely being replaced with something else. Could it be another p-car? Possibly. The brand has some loyalty left.

The high end of 993 C2S's price ranges can give some people, myself included, pause to consider alternatives including the 996 GT3 and 997S, cars that have similar characteristics, more power and newer technology.

No 996 or 997 will ever, ever be in the same category or class as the 993 for reasons that we all seem to be well aware of and Zack has clearly pointed out plus the fact that the 993 is the zenith of 30 years of technical development, last in breed etc, etc. Having said that, sometimes I do think about things like HP north of 350, warranty and the like. I went for a ride in a 997 GT3 recently (in the passenger's seat) and we took a turn at speeds my 993 would never be able to handle. The braking and acceleration were equally sensational. The fun factor is huge and I personally would have to give that serious consideration over owning a low production garage queen for similar $$$.

I apologize for my views to those who disagree with me but please remember that, as I pointed out above, I'm coming from the purview that I don't keep cars long and while I might own a 997S tomorrow, I could just as well own a 993S the following year so I don't feel the need to choose and "get married" to one car over another.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:52 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Louis, your posts are very well thought out and informed.

Some of us who own the 98 993 S feel very similar. I know that I dont speak for everyone here on this, but there are a few newer cars --- 996tt, 996GT3, 997S in particular -- that often make me think about replacing my car for the modern and performance factors. The GT3 in particular still has a 'soul' I think from riding in the passenger seat.

My point in originally posting this thread was that for those few seeking a silver/black 98 C2S, there just arent that many out there anymore. A wide net search on autotrader, ebay, cars.com, etc. yields maybe 3 of them. To find one with this mileage and (apparent) condition is becoming more unusual, hence my comment "someone should buy this quickly"...
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

And now the circle is complete.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:51 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i drove the car this morning. i've been looking for a c2s for a while now. this one seems to be very, very nice.

-NEK, Chicago

Quick Reply: Wow, someone should buy this 98 C2S quickly