Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Wife finally got a new vehicle, unfortunately, not a Cayenne...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default OT: Wife finally got a new vehicle, unfortunately, not a Cayenne...

I appreciate all the great advice you folks offered in our quest for a new vehicle to replace her 99 Jag XK8 Convertible. The car was too small as our 12 year old has outgrown the back seat when we travel together, and we needed an AWD vehicle to get us out of the neighborhood when it snows and to the ski slopes in that same snow. We were all set at one point to get a preowned Cayenne S but the vehicle's repair record wasn't that great from what she read and the rear hatch was really heavy for her as well as being kind of hard to close.

We then looked at all the AWD sedans and she settled in on a new Acura RL instead of a 2005 S500 4matic or 2005 Audi A8L, the two cars she liked the most. In the end, the seats were kind of hard for her, and the Acura suited her sporty driving style better and even had 300 HP to boot. The back seat room is not all that big compared to the 2 German cars we looked at, but she's really happy with it anyway.

Thanks again for all your PM's and posts on our earlier thread a few weeks ago. You really helped us out. Never thought I'd like a Japanese car, but these new 07's are made really well, and the voice recognition Nav's are simply amazing. You ask "Italian Restaurant" and it brings up the closest 5 in the area your car is. Then you say "#1" and it offers a Zagat review right there on the Nav. You ask for directions and of course it directs you there. Zagat reviews in our car? She's in heaven, and I'm totally jealous of her new XM radio. I'd kill for XM and am so sick of the pathetic radio we have here in DC.

I really wanted another Porsche, and at one point we were VERY close to getting a stunning Titanium Edition Silver 2006 Cayenne, brand new for $12k under MSRP at our local dealer, as it was sitting on the showroom floor for months. I loved that SUV, but in the end, she's more comfortable with a smaller, lower to the ground AWD sedan. The Acura certainly doesn't have the panache factor of the Porsche Cayenne, but the more I drove the Acura (it feels like it rides on rails), the more I've fallen for it too.

Somebody's happy

Waving at me

SH (Super handling )AWD - that's quite a claim. Guess we'll find out next winter

Glassy new car finish - it'll never look this good again

Thank g-d she went with black on black. It doesn't look as good in some other colors

Learning the features with the salesman

It's good when your wife is happy

I want one of these

The blue Chesapeake Bay plate was her idea, not mine. I would have gone with the traditional black and white Md. plate as it matches better. Guess the car needed at least one touch of femininity

She can't wait to take this car on vacation next month to the beach in Ocean City

Back home in the garage

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 03-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Steve. She will love the RL. Great choice.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:07 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice-looking car, cute wife, love the curtains in the garage - looks like a living room!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Nice car Steve. My buddy bought one a while back and speaks highly of it. Hope you guys enjoy it.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Time will tell if she loves it 3 years from now as much as she does now, but we plan to get a 8 yr extended warranty on it, so she's positively motivated to keep it.

We ended up getting $8833 off of MSRP for a new 2007! From $50k to about $41k. They really are a great deal.
http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=RL

Steve R
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, Steve! Now you just need some Bilstein HDs, red caliper paint, big ovals and a new boot on the shifter
Old 03-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice car!

Fore sure though your maintenance costs will go to virtually zero as well especially as compared to the Jag! Its pretty hard to beat that combination of great build quality, low maintenance and high resell!

The wife sure looks happy and that's worth a lot too, eh? ;-)

Cheers,

Mike

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a great car for you wife. All the trappings of the 21st century in a rock solid platform. Plus doesn't get to much attention. Does it have the PAX run flats? Congrats.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:44 AM
scat
Racer

Congrats Steve,but what happened to the BMW 740,I thought you needed an SUV?
Your wife looks happy with her choice ,all good bro.....
Old 03-23-2007, 02:03 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,
Congratulations Steve! What a coincidence...I read your post at Acurazine... I also own an Acura RL - very nice car.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2007, 02:08 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow, nice car! Love the interior as well. These seem to be really nice cars! Congrats!! Now about that suspension
Old 03-23-2007, 02:14 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

We still have the 740i, which is mine. She wanted an SUV but found most of them too big except for the Lexus RX350 which didn't appeal to me at all. She was about to buy it anyway when her mom tried to get into it and had some trouble. Her mom is really old and she takes her around town to shop for food and clothes twice a week and finally decided an AWD sedan would be easier to get into.

It doesn't have the run flat tires. That package was an additional $3k and we didn't think it was worth it. Instead, we just spent $1k extra for a deck lid spoiler, all weather RL mats and a trunk all weather mat, wood shifter (didn't put this one on myself, had the dealer do it), and mud flaps. No rattling from the shifter yet . If it does, I at least know the fix.

And yes, the red caliper paint... I'll have to think about that.

Nice RL, JK Universe. Is the white RL in that pic your car? You have some really amazing pics on Acurazine. Some of them are magazine quality and really show off the car and the killer mods you've done. This slippery slope thing even extends to my wife's new car now.
http://rl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...3&page=1&pp=25

Don't worry though... I'll get to my suspension on my 993 soon, very soon.

Steve R
Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 AM
jkuniverse
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, I wish...I know some have done serious mods on their RLs... Here is My humble white RL. Again congrats, you'll enjoy it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2007, 02:38 AM
djames
Instructor

Nice work Steve. Sounds like you did your homework and got yourself a great buy. Great pics as well. Thanks for sharing. As Chris mentioned, now time to get going on replacing the suspension of your car.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I can say is if you bought the Cayenne the sky wouldn't be clowdy, it's some corporate thing I guess.

But really it's a nice car, it would be something I'd push my wife to get, but she's into the SUV deal with three kids...bigger is better, ..."that's what she said"....

But again, nice car you'll enjoy it hassle free for a long time.

Quick Reply: OT: Wife finally got a new vehicle, unfortunately, not a Cayenne...