993 Forum 1995-1998

Front windshield just replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front windshield just replaced

Just had my front windshield replaced today by Alpine Glass. The owner does the replacements. They were for about 3.5 hours and the antenna is what caused him the biggest issue. Mine was a little challanging they said. Alpine Glass came highly recommened (Porsche owners and Porsche Dealerships in SLC) and very detailed orientated. Sigla glass as well.

After seeing the process, I would never want to attempt a DIY on Porsche window replacement. There is a little bit of skill involved (more knowledge than anything) and they used the same inner seal and a new outter seal, even though they had an inner seal with them. My seal was in perfect condition and the window is a much better fit using the old seal, ONLY if in good condition, which mine was.

Now if those damn rocks would stay away from my window!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

How much did it cost? In Ohio and Michigan (unlike several states) windshields aren't covered by a windshield rider. Mine cost me my deductible, but the windshield itself cost about $2500.00. The Porsche dealer had the choice to order one from Porsche for about $500 and wait several days, or to get it overnight from a windshield supplier that had an OEM windshield. The process of procuring one surprised me.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:58 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Just had my front windshield replaced today by Alpine Glass. The owner does the replacements. They were for about 3.5 hours and the antenna is what caused him the biggest issue. Mine was a little challanging they said. Alpine Glass came highly recommened (Porsche owners and Porsche Dealerships in SLC) and very detailed orientated. Sigla glass as well.

After seeing the process, I would never want to attempt a DIY on Porsche window replacement. There is a little bit of skill involved (more knowledge than anything) and they used the same inner seal and a new outter seal, even though they had an inner seal with them. My seal was in perfect condition and the window is a much better fit using the old seal, ONLY if in good condition, which mine was.

Now if those damn rocks would stay away from my window!!!
good luck.... the sigla glass is just so damn soft... i replaced mine not too long ago with OEM sigla piece... for the first few miles it was wonderful.... like there was no glass there at all....then the pitting came back... i like to keep my car OEM, but i can see why people go aftermarket on this to get a harder glass
Old 03-23-2007, 01:25 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
How much did it cost? In Ohio and Michigan (unlike several states) windshields aren't covered by a windshield rider. Mine cost me my deductible, but the windshield itself cost about $2500.00. The Porsche dealer had the choice to order one from Porsche for about $500 and wait several days, or to get it overnight from a windshield supplier that had an OEM windshield. The process of procuring one surprised me.
$250 for my deductible. Im not sure what it cost overall but I will ask when they call me back to do a few windows at my house.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:05 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I would recommend changing the wiper blades.
Any diesel residue on the old ones, from truck fumes, will do no good on a new windshield.
I hope the person who changed the windshield checked for any corrosion in the windshield groove.
There is no better time for checking this.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by geolab
I would recommend changing the wiper blades.
Any diesel residue on the old ones, from truck fumes, will do no good on a new windshield.
I hope the person who changed the windshield checked for any corrosion in the windshield groove.
There is no better time for checking this.
His quote was "Has this car ever seen rain or the sun?"---everything was in perfect condition.

Blades were replaced last year plus I think I have only my used my windshield wipers 1/2 dozen times in 4 years. Good 'ol desert life for you and me being **** about driving in good weather. Utah has a lot of good weather though.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Rick Sylvestri
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did mine about 3 months ago and the glass alone was around 600.00

Geo's right, check your groove where the windsheild meets the car. Mine was fine but have seen others with rust
Old 03-23-2007, 03:39 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup i just got mine done as well and the glass alone was $641.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

I had mine replaced last summer (damn highway rocks!) but the installers (TriumphGlass in Lynbrook, NY) totally f'up the installation and tore the new outer gasket that *I* supplied. It's skewed in the frame, leaks like a sieve, 'whistles' when I drive fast and the radio reception is crap. (I could go on but I'd only get myself upset all over again.) (Oh yeah, they charged $700+)

As part of my 30K-service/Viper-Bob Bilstein-HD+sways "winter project" I've asked the tech. to see if he can remove the existing (SIGLA) glass and 'RE-install' it -properly this time.

He called up his glass-guy and the glass-guy basically said that 9 times out of 10 they crack when you try and remove them. I said, go ahead anyways, so I *may* be looking at (his quote) an additional bill of $1,100 for another new one.

At this stage, I really don't care, I got this car _for the long term_ and -- yep, I'm man enuf to admit this -- "only the best for my 993". And if the best means a new windscreen - so be it.

G.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:05 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard the 9 times out of 10 thing as well, but when my installer removed my heavy pitted, rock chip ridden, 8" cracked windshield, it came out in one piece. So I don't see why your windshield can't come out intact as well.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
good luck.... the sigla glass is just so damn soft... i replaced mine not too long ago with OEM sigla piece... for the first few miles it was wonderful.... like there was no glass there at all....then the pitting came back... i like to keep my car OEM, but i can see why people go aftermarket on this to get a harder glass
I agree - I replace mine about a year ago - thought I was getting aftermarket, but damn, the they used OEM - normally I would be pleased, but not in this case. Already starting to see some pitting.

Rob
Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the oem glass really that soft and how do you tell if its still oem
Old 03-24-2007, 12:06 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96C4S
is the oem glass really that soft and how do you tell if its still oem
yes it is...and it will say "sigla" on it...
Old 03-24-2007, 12:45 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What other brand is recommended as a replacement for the OEM glass?
Old 03-24-2007, 01:10 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

OEM or aftermarket, didnt make much of a difference to me. Im just glad its replaced.

Here is a pic with the window pulled out and installed. It was suggested (highly) that I let it sit for at least 24hrs before moving it to let everything seal. The same guy did my Explorer last month and suggested the same thing, which I did.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Front windshield just replaced