Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My MY 02 Shifter rattles horribly.Tried electrical tape & foam. NE ideas what next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 441 Posts
Default My MY 02 Shifter rattles horribly.Tried electrical tape & foam. NE ideas what next?

For you folks that upgraded to Gert's MY02 shifter... mine has rattled from day 1. We wrapped it in electrical tape a few times. Here's a pic of the shaft after we took the shifter off for yet the 3rd or 4th time for another try at wrapping it:

Here it is, the rattler special:

and shoved grey foam up into the shifter but each time it still rattled at about 25 mph and 50-75 mph. It rattles so loudly that even someone without Attention Deficit Disorder would be driven crazy by it. I could crank up the stereo, but I pretty much only listen to talk radio and NPR so that doesn't help. I could open the windows and sunroof but then I couldn't really talk on the phone which I have to do most of the day for my job when I'm in my car.

I could pretent the rattle isn't there, but ... I'm not that good at pretending. Little noises drive me crazy, and this one goes beyond little. A fellow Rennlister suggested having the car put in an upside down position and have something like liquid nails put into the shifter as it's seated on the metal shaft. Once the liquid nails dried, the car could be turned right side up again, the glue will have hardened around the shaft creating a friction free environment - no more rattle. Obviously, this solution is too difficult.

His other suggestion was this:

"If you never intended to replace the **** again, I’d either use polyurethane glue (it expands) or take a Dremel and cut the top portion of the stick off. The glue may actually be a possibility. I’ve used a construction adhesive around the house that’s polyurethane based. It expands as it sets and then creates an amazing bond once cured. Since it has a fairly thick consistency, one could inject a bit of the glue into the ****, leave it upside down for a few minutes, then mash it into place and allow the adhesive to cure. That, along with the set screw, should do it. Double guaranteed!"

My response was:

"That sounds like a very permanent plan. But, what if it still rattled, and it was totally glued on, so there would be no way to remove it and "fix" it? Or, what if the shifter got damaged one day in the future, like if it mysteriously cracked or something and I had to replace it. Wouldn't glueing it on the shaft make it extremely difficult to get it off?

I look forward to any help you might have for me. By the way, Gert was kind enough to send a new shift boot that fits perfect. The old leather boot he sent with the shifter didn't fit over the metal clip in the front (see above, old, pic of the non fitting boot). It's great dealing with a vendor as good as Gert.

Steve R

Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same reoccuring problem with mine. The insulating tape fix lasts a few months then needs doing again.

Any advice from Gert?

pp
Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Presumably the '02 shift **** does not rattle on an '02 shifter rod ..... so if all else fails, buy a '02 shifter rod and lop off the top portion for a welded transplant to the 993 part ( could even make it a short shifter ). They are made of nominal 1/4" mild steel plate - so no big deal: when I modded mine for other reasons, it was noted that the 993 shifter was only a $50 part - so the 996 piece can't be too far off. I think that the '02 boot is more ..
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

I put the question to Gert and as always got a prompt and helpful reply. Apparently, the rattle does not aflict all 993s.the suggestion is that some cars are more prone to this than others, perhaps due to wear in engine or transmission mounts. However, the recommendation by Gert is to use a finger from a rubber glove or a piece of leather rather than electrical insulating tape. Also, don't push the **** all the way down on the lever.

I'll be trying this out at the weekend.

pp
Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 AM
pezza
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem on my 97 C4S, I cured it by squirting a small amount of expanding foam spray into the gear lever, then installed it instantly, (ie before the foam has fully expanded and started to cure).

You also have the option of removing the lever at a later date. Very important not to push it on all the way also.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:06 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I use a cut up bicycle inner tube.

Last edited by viperbob; 03-21-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wedged a small piece of popsicle stick in the gap between the shift lever and the ****. Never has rattled in ~2 years.

-Chris
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the exact same **** and have successfully used a piece of tennis grip. The problem is the shaft is narrower than the shift **** opening. You need to wrap the shaft in something thicker to fill the space, but something not too thick as the **** will not be able to insert. I used a piece of tennis "overgrip grip" as it is not as thick as a replacement grip. If you're a tennis player, you'll know what i'm talking about. I wrapped the shaft maybe twice then taped it down. Then I applied a resonable amount of pressure by pushing the **** down the shaft. No rattles! So it's now pressure fitted about the same way the OEM was.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for this wealth of advice. The email I got from Gert is word to word the same as Pickled Piper suggested:

"Hi Steve,

Good to see on Rennlist that the new boot worked out fine.

Strangely enough, most people don’t have any problems with the shifter.

I have the same shifter on my C4S and I don’t have any rattles at all.

There are however some people that had this problem but AFAIK it always could be solved one way or the other.

The problem with foam is that it doesn’t isolate anymore once it is compressed.

Electrical tape doesn’t work either as it is too thin.

A good solution is to use some leather or some rubber. Use a finger of a rubber house hold glove for example J. Also, don’t push the shifter all the way down, make a mark on the shifter shaft so there is a gap of a couple mm’s at the top.

The question is, why does the shifter rattle on some cars and not with the others. Something to look into are the motor mounts that might be shot or the tranny mount that is cracked. This happens a lot on 993’s.

Another important thing to look into is the flex in the shift linkage. If the bushes are worn out a bit, this can also cause the shift lever to rattle.

Keep me posted on this one."

I hope to try one of these fixes very soon!

He also wrote back about springs and suspension stuff...

"The Monroes are known to wear out very fast.

They always feel firm at first compression but on the rebound and the second compression, they no longer have control.

For that reason, when you go in a long, fast corner with bad Monroes (>2years old) the car will settle, bounce back, settle again, bounce back and so on.

Just because of the firmness at first compression, some people think that the shocks are still good.

The Bilstein HD’s are far better and will last longer and are also a prefect match for the standard, M033 or M030 springs."

Guess I better start saving for this stuff too... I don't want to be driving a dangerous vehicle with an antiquated suspension and life threatening shocks.

Steve R
Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I still have your old shifter. I have been too busy to put in on!! Let me know if you want to trade JK! I am sure one of the above options will work out.

Best of Luck.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:25 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I missed out on the benefit part of an 02' shifter, because it sounds like you all had to do some Micky Mouse stuff to get it to not rattle.

My original one does not rattle and it sounds like your's didn't either, so why do the upgrade? is it faster shifting or just the "Cool Factor"?

ZP44
Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Zombie Porsche44: It's merely the "cool looking" factor. If I had know it might rattle like this without a real easy fix, I doubt I would have done it. I didn't know it would, so... I'm here, stuck with a rattle, hopefully only temporary.

Randy: Hmmm, don't tempt me. It's not like I hadn't thought that I shouldn't have sold that shifter so quickly!

Steve R
Old 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
I guess I missed out on the benefit part of an 02' shifter, because it sounds like you all had to do some Micky Mouse stuff to get it to not rattle.

My original one does not rattle and it sounds like your's didn't either, so why do the upgrade? is it faster shifting or just the "Cool Factor"?

ZP44
Zombie,

I changed mine becasue the leather finish on the original was very worn and also becasue I became hooked on Gert's website.

Interestingly, when you remove the original shift **** there is a very large and substantial rubber iscolator that is embedded in the shift ****. I guess the Porsche Engineers were aware of the rattle potential.

pp
Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Positioning of the '02 shifter is very important. As many have said....do not seat it all the way down. I had the same problem as Steve and became frustrated with it. A little TLC, patience, and some good luck with the electrical tape and shifter positioning provided me with some relief. If I encounter the issue again I will make certain to utilize some of the great ideas suggested on this thread.

Zombie...the shifter looks and FEELS better to me.

Bake
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but man love those RUF wheels SCMomentum.

-nels

Quick Reply: My MY 02 Shifter rattles horribly.Tried electrical tape & foam. NE ideas what next?