Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone know how to remove a stripped gas cap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:15 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Anyone know how to remove a stripped gas cap?

Having a bad day. Lots of fires to put out for clients today. To make matters worse I stop to fill my car and the gas cap strips. It sounds like the plastic cap broke and spins. I don't think it's the threaded section of the cap's neck but I don't know. Any ideas?

I did a search but found nothing.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would guess the ratchet system is stripped, grab it kind of firmly with a decent size pair of channel lock pliers and turn it left to loosen.

if that doesnt do the trick you will have to break out the dremel tool at low speed and do surgery to the top of the cap enough to remove it then you should have access to the bung part.

first suggestion should work though
Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Vise Grips no go. Anyone know the schematics of the gas cap?
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Try fasters advice. Drill 2 holes through the red plastic and into the threaded portion below. Then insert 2 coat hangers as a pin tool to increase leverage. careful not to scratch paint if you slip.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:06 AM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nota troll, use a fairly large set of channel lock pliers, not vice grips. dont worry so much about to much pressure on the twist part, the cap is trashed anyway, put enough circumferentual pressure to actually bind the outer part to the inner bung part of the cap.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:15 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by faster
nota troll, use a fairly large set of channel lock pliers, not vice grips. dont worry so much about to much pressure on the twist part, the cap is trashed anyway, put enough circumferentual pressure to actually bind the outer part to the inner bung part of the cap.
I'll try that. Gotta make a trip to Sears for a larger one. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:09 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

This happened to me many years ago on a '77 BMW motorcycle. I consulted an expert who told me how to go about getting it off. I was instructed to take a 1/8 drill bit and drill down 3 layers (you can feel each layer as the bit goes through) offset from the center. Then I was told to take the drill bit out of the drill and insert it into the hole to lock all of the pieces together. It worked like a champ. Not sure how much, if any, of this procedure is transferable to your case but it might be worth a try. Just don't go all the way through the cap and get shavings in the tank.

Incedently, I discovered that my cap was stripped after I ran out of gas and had to push the bike to a gas station a mile away. I took the tank off, turned it upside down and took one of the petcocks off and trickled enough gas into the tank to get home.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:22 AM
JCinKC
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened to me on my 97 Boxster . . . .

After a couple of bouts of pushing, pulling, and swearing while turning the cap in both directions, I was finally able to pull off the outer portion of the cap. Then used a pair of pliers to turn the business end of the cap.

Lots of little plastic pieces inside of it, but the cap maintained its integrity.

$10 for a new one at Autozone. . . . .
Old 04-09-2017, 10:28 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I bought a new Porsche gas cap that was like this from the factory.

On mine, if you would push down hard while turning (like a child proof pill bottle), you could get it to engage and loosen.

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to remove a stripped gas cap?