993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch jutter, variable engage, sticking in gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris - My mech. just bled the clutch a few weeks ago when we replaced the clutch hose. He thought it might be varying due to air bubbles since the clutch hose was leaking. But that didn't fix it....unless there are still air bubbles that is.

One additional thing that seems (in my mind anyway) to point away from the input shaft is that the clutch does not hang and suddenly release. The only action that affects the clutch engagement point is pushing the pedal back in. When I do this action, I do not feel any pressure change in the pedal...the only change I feel is the point of engagement changing. I'm not pumping the pedal like I would for a brake bleed (not that I have done that in my 993, but just as an example).
Old 03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Does the car shudder when you are off the gas and push-in the clutch while coasting?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nope. It only shudders/jutters when I am releasing the clutch in reverse, and will generally keep juttering until it gains speed.

It's in the mechanic's hands for the week. So I'll report back when it's cured. Good discussion here, which always helps me de-stress about car problems. Thanks guys!!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

OK, data point but not really relevant to Adrienne's problem. I had my clutch replaced and applied all of the rennlist nostrums: LWF from Viper Bob, real Mobilube SHC gear oil, new slave & hose. So I can't tell what was most wrong before but the clutch action is smooth and the trans shifts very nicely now when warmed up. Still grumpy when cold, but I think that's the nature of the beast.

The old clutch was worn but not quite down to the rivets. Input shaft wasn't dry. Slave may have been bad, it's hard to tell.

DMF was still in pretty good shape and I saved the it in case I want to go back from the LWF - my wrench really doesn't like them for driveability reasons, but so far, so good. I did a couple other while-yer-in-there things since the engine was out: PS belt ($95 for the belt!!!), SAI check valve, and the spark plugs since that way I would be positive the 12th one was actually replaced :-).

Wallet empty, car promoted to daily driver and owner happy. Good luck, Adrienne, hope yours works out too.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Nope. It only shudders/jutters when I am releasing the clutch in reverse, and will generally keep juttering until it gains speed.

It's in the mechanic's hands for the week. So I'll report back when it's cured. Good discussion here, which always helps me de-stress about car problems. Thanks guys!!
That sure sounds like you have some oil on the disk....when the slave cylinder was leaking did any get onto the clutch? I find the reverse gear on these cars way too high, if you are backing up an incline you have to feather the clutch which promotes lots of wear...

Best of luck on the clutch!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

---UPDATE---

It's fixed: The master cylinder had a rip in the rubber booty-thingy and it was gunked up, meaning it had been leaking a bit, and certainly letting air into the hydraulics...never good. So we replaced the master cylinder, and the clutch slave cylinder while there. We bled the clutch, and now it shifts like a champ!!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it is fixed Adrienne. More than likely with these cars, it was your slave that was bad and causing your issues. 99% of the 993s out there if examined you would see the boot torn on the clutch master and a slight amount of gook (technical jargon ) on the arm. It is just as well you replaced it though as they do also wear especially when the slave has not been changed.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:43 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool! A happy ending
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 PM
pguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrienne,

Great news!!!

Quick question:
4. The car jutters in reverse.
is also fixed?

Thanks,
-pguy

Last edited by pguy; 04-12-2007 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch jutter, variable engage, sticking in gear