best bang for the buck $ per $

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911skb
Has anyone seen an EVO or WRX STI w/out the big wing in back? The Subaru dealer told me that you can't take it off for aerodynamics. Would it really mess up that much to keep the lower profile, flat style tail (non jumbo wing)?
http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2007/sti/index.html
Old 03-18-2007, 08:10 PM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's B.S. about the wing. As shown w/ the Limited, it's got a very unobtrusive lip on the trunk.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 PM
911skb
Instructor

I could live with that small lip spoiler on the trunk. Looks like they are trying to reach an older demographic; leather seats, toned down colors, but still the same performance. Makes it a more interesting package now.

Or buy a used one and get a trunk with the mini lip on it to swap with the wing.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:39 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Quick shots of P-car and DD - '07 STI Ltd.
I had the '06 STI but was a little to boy racer (ricer). The '07 Ltd is a bit stealthier, no rear wing, just a little trunk lip and a front lip. Has heated seats and sunroof. And it moves...

Old 03-18-2007, 10:17 PM
avidtest
Racer

Nice Subie - very tasteful. The white color almost eliminates the 'boy racer' look.

Love that 3.8 SuperCup too.

Recently test drove the WRX STi. It was funny because the salesman made mention that many 911 owners came in just to try out the STi. (He didn't know I was a 911 owner....because at the time I wasn't).
Old 03-18-2007, 10:49 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by CarmG993
Quick shots of P-car and DD - '07 STI Ltd.
I had the '06 STI but was a little to boy racer (ricer). The '07 Ltd is a bit stealthier, no rear wing, just a little trunk lip and a front lip. Has heated seats and sunroof. And it moves...

nice pics..do you hava a pic of both of them from the front ?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:58 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Originally Posted by gonzilla
One of the guys in our group (basically the best driver we all know) has an EVO and a 996 GT3. Although he drives the GT3 with us, he says that the EVO is the best handling car he's ever driven. Speaks volumes coming from him.
Your friend isn't driving his GT3 properly No knock against the Evos or STIs, they're great cars, lots of fun, very quick. But they're heavy and fairly understeery... handle very well, very easy to drive fast on a track... But a GT3 is absolutely quicker in twisties.
Not that it matters and not that you care, but the guy in question is absolutely a phenomenal driver. Pretty much regarded as the best of the guys we drive with at VCR when we do our canyon runs. I think it's really a personal thing as to which car handles better. He's only driven his GT3 when he goes on runs with us (the Evo is his DD). He knows Mullholland like the back of his hand and can do things with a car that I've really never seen anywhere else. I love to follow him (usually a few cars back) and watch. Unfortunately he only goes about 7/10 if you're in the car with him and will only go 5/10 if he's in someone else's car. Here's a video of the man in question in a CLK DTM.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L_ENoSvHF8Q

I should actually amend my last post and tell you that I was told he said that by a mutual friend. So take that as you will.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Not that it matters and not that you care, but the guy in question is absolutely a phenomenal driver. Pretty much regarded as the best of the guys we drive with at VCR when we do our canyon runs. I think it's really a personal thing as to which car handles better. He's only driven his GT3 when he goes on runs with us (the Evo is his DD). He knows Mullholland like the back of his hand and can do things with a car that I've really never seen anywhere else. I love to follow him (usually a few cars back) and watch. Unfortunately he only goes about 7/10 if you're in the car with him and will only go 5/10 if he's in someone else's car. Here's a video of the man in question in a CLK DTM.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L_ENoSvHF8Q

I should actually amend my last post and tell you that I was told he said that by a mutual friend. So take that as you will.
He may very well be a good driver, but are you citing his driving prowess on the STREET as proof of his abilities? I won't go into the whole responsibility argument... but sliding a car around on the street does not necessarily mean you are capable of exploring the limits of a car's handling. I was driving my first 944 sideways on the streets when I was 17, that didn't mean I was driving "at the limit." Lots of people can show off, but flashy does not always = fast.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
He may very well be a good driver, but are you citing his driving prowess on the STREET as proof of his abilities? I won't go into the whole responsibility argument... but sliding a car around on the street does not necessarily mean you are capable of exploring the limits of a car's handling. I was driving my first 944 sideways on the streets when I was 17, that didn't mean I was driving "at the limit." Lots of people can show off, but flashy does not always = fast.
Worlds may collide but...I am in 100% agreement with pcar.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:09 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Worlds may collide but...I am in 100% agreement with pcar.
Uncle. Uncle. You guys win. That being said, I wouldn't consider Mullholland just any "street". But as I said, you guys win. I don't come here to get into any arguments. Thought I'd offer a little info on the subject and that's what I thought I did. Take it as you will.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Sorry, Mike. I'm not trying to be offensive, but the "street cred" often doesn't translate well to real mastery on the track. If you had said that he had made it to the SCCA Run-Off's three times, a far better indicator of skill, speed and driving technique, credibility would not be an issue. He may be a Wolf Henzler on the track, for all I know, but that's not what was presented.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:26 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got some empirical evidence yesterday of my 993 vs. a Subie STI at Pueblo Motorsports Park. This was at a NASA event we were both in TTB class. We were both equipped with AMB transponders. His car: Falken Azenis tires, Cobb sway bars, said stock engine and electronics. Me PSS9's, TRG sways, camber plates, Nitto comp DOT tires. I think both of us are good and probably comparable drivers. Bottom line: He was about 3/4 to a second faster a lap. Another data point, there was a well-prepped EVO there that was at least 10 seconds a lap faster than I was; I'm glad he was in a different class!
My best time over the weekend was a 1:48.6xx.

PCA: Pueblo track records
Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atan888

The c4s like any other porsche car has its own class but performance wise My honest opinion not to offend anyone this pocket rocket is a lot better in and out of the track.

Blasphemy
Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

hey andial951 sorry I would never insult a porsche. I love my porsche cars but it was just an honest answer to an honest question.

and I would never give up my c4s nor any of my porsche for an evo
Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

its ok.....I secretly wish I had an EVO.........I live in the bay area too so I will be on the lookout fo r your EVO so I can kill it......ha ha

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck $ per $