Sponsored by:

best bang for the buck $ per $

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 07:57 PM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avidtest
Don't get me wrong, I really like my new 993, but I'm new to Porsche and not yet as dedicated as some others. It's an awesome machine, but honestly, I think my expectations were higher than the reality. Yes, I was one of those people who thought the laws of physics did not apply to 911s.... before I bought it that is. I also expected a little more acceleration - not whining though as I'm pretty happy w/ it..

I don't use my p-car as a daily driver. I'll use it primarily for auto-x stuff and eventually some DE's and time trials. I simply want a car that I can autox and have the most fun with combined w/ the best bang for the buck. I'm not as educated in this area as I'd like to be, but for the $$$, the Evo appears to be one of the all-time best bets. If I can have as much fun, or more, with another car, for less expense, I'll certainly consider it.

In the meantime, I'll likely keep my new (to me) 993 for at least one year, learn it's ins and outs, and then make my decision on whether to keep it or exchange it for some other type of predominantly track-use car. So far, alternate considerations are Mitsu Evo IV or V, Subie WRX STi, Mazda Miata, older 911 (or even 914), old Datsun 510 (not likely though), or older BMW M3, or.... I know there's another one on my list, but I can't recall what it is right now.
hey shannon,

dont get me wrong the 993 is an all time classic I would keep it . youll never find anything like it. the evo and sti get one and enjoy the sh*t out of it. drive it like you stole the damn thing and enjoy it on the track. But the e30 M3 hmmm just like he 993 they are keepers man
Old 03-17-2007, 07:59 PM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CarmG993
I have an '07 STI Ltd for my daily commuter. It is a sick little machine. With snows and locking the differential, it is amazing in the snow. With a little engine management, and a free'er flowing exhaust you get some crazy numbers.
AMEN
Old 03-17-2007, 08:02 PM
avidtest
Racer

Yeah, but the problem is, I've already got four vehicles and only a 2-car garage. If I get another car, somethings got to give, lol!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an EVO 9 too. Loved it, it was insane when the turbo spooled up. I kept mine stock but still got a lot of people trying to race me! That's why I got rid of it. Awesome car for the money though.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:23 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

One of the guys in our group (basically the best driver we all know) has an EVO and a 996 GT3. Although he drives the GT3 with us, he says that the EVO is the best handling car he's ever driven. Speaks volumes coming from him.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:02 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Atan888: yes, my 16 year old son says that's one "sick" car! Exactly what he wants. He even went as far as telling me to sell the classic 993 and get one!! Oh, brother. (Glad it's St. Paddy's Day)

Avidtest: I agree that the overall thrill factor of our 993 isn't what I thought it would be on the track (AX/DE/TT, etc). I guess you have to compare them to what was available in 1995. I know they would have beaten the Subaru's and Mitsubishi's back then!
Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

EVO is a ton of fun.. BUT don't kid yourself about having a warranty if you modify anything OR take it to any autocross or track! (mistu is well known to not honor warranties on modified EVOs.. especially if evidence of track use!!!)
Old 03-18-2007, 01:27 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ceboyd
EVO is a ton of fun.. BUT don't kid yourself about having a warranty if you modify anything OR take it to any autocross or track! (mistu is well known to not honor warranties on modified EVOs.. especially if evidence of track use!!!)
tell me about it I know but so far all I added was all bolt on parts and a dyno tune (reversable) and boy Im having a blast thanks

And also Im glad that I had a 90% positive feedback in this forum. I expected the worst. Im really surprised how open minded most of the members are. but overall we all love our 993s

BTW dont even think of selling your 993 for this car this is only a good 2nd or track car. 993 are classics and be thankful we have at least 1 in our garage.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:30 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzilla
One of the guys in our group (basically the best driver we all know) has an EVO and a 996 GT3. Although he drives the GT3 with us, he says that the EVO is the best handling car he's ever driven. Speaks volumes coming from him.
Your friend isn't driving his GT3 properly No knock against the Evos or STIs, they're great cars, lots of fun, very quick. But they're heavy and fairly understeery... handle very well, very easy to drive fast on a track... But a GT3 is absolutely quicker in twisties.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:10 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I had an EVO 9 too. Loved it, it was insane when the turbo spooled up. I kept mine stock but still got a lot of people trying to race me! That's why I got rid of it. Awesome car for the money though.
Yes, I'll have to agree that the negative attention is the biggest drawback of the Evo.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:44 PM
911skb
Instructor

I've considered buying an EVO or a WRX when my daily driver dies, but the attention and image of younger guys ( like David Ray's 16 yr old) driving these cars kind of keeps me away. I don't want to be challenged for a race at every light, I've accepted I can't go back 20 years and relive those younger days!

Has anyone seen an EVO or WRX STI w/out the big wing in back? The Subaru dealer told me that you can't take it off for aerodynamics. Would it really mess up that much to keep the lower profile, flat style tail (non jumbo wing)?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:21 PM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Yes, I'll have to agree that the negative attention is the biggest drawback of the Evo.

+1
Old 03-18-2007, 04:43 PM
allill
Drifting

hey alvin,

is the evo better that the sti you had?
Old 03-18-2007, 04:50 PM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by allill
hey alvin,

is the evo better that the sti you had?
for me I like the lines of the evo better and you can gain more hp for less. but I miss the sti as well. prob because I only had it for 4 months on 04 and there was not much mods available that time
Old 03-18-2007, 05:01 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by atan888
for me I like the lines of the evo better and you can gain more hp for less. but I miss the sti as well. prob because I only had it for 4 months on 04 and there was not much mods available that time

Yeah, but you did get rid of the sti and begin your p-car obsession.

Quick Reply: best bang for the buck $ per $