Sponsored by:

Crap! Wheels have axial play and crack.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Angry Crap! Wheels have axial play and crack.

Allow me to vent: I took the 968 M030 Cup wheels (like 993 wheels, but 7.5" wide fronts) I bought last fall to be stripped and painted. The shop calls me and tells me they found a hairline crack in one of the rare fronts and that all four have enough axial play to be a problem. They won't weld a front wheel and told me to come pick them up.

So, four paperweights and no summer wheels.

E-mailed the seller, who said they were "straight and true". We'll see what happens.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that, I bought the same wheel set for spares and love them.

Good luck and I hope the seller will owe up........ZP44
Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Although not the best solution, wheels can be repaired, of course, depending upon where the cracks are. Remember, the most axial load a wheel sees is when the bead sets.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:42 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

The crack goes through the inside bead. The shop I went to wouldn't do it, and they do a ton of track car and high-end Porsche stuff. The guy said he'd weld it if it were a rear, but not a front.

He callled the usual places looking for a spare, but it's an uber-rare 17x7.5 and no one has one. Would probably cost more than I paid for the whole set even if Ernie's or Wheelenhancement had one.

I liked the idea of 225/45-17s up front without squeezing them onto 7s.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About a year ago I bought some MY02s from the same 'lister from NJ who's active over on the 968 board. There was a nice 6" section of road rash on one of the 10" rears which was disclosed by the seller. Several days ago I took it to Al Reed Polishing in Anaheim ostensibly to address the road rash only. But where there's smoke there's fire: turns out that the impact that caused said road rash was worse than it seemed. Once we manually spun the wheel on his balancer, it was obviously out of true.

$95 of wheel repair later (good guy price, IMO, plus re-finishing cost) all should be right. I'm going to pick them up tomorrow. My first point is, it looks like this seller is 0 for 2 in terms of satisfied customers over here on the 993 board. I don't want to start a smear campaign, but I feel a responsibility to disclose. He did say that the wheels were "balanced." Can you balance an out-of-true wheel? I'm not enough of an expert to know. I expect that he's not being deceptive and knowingly selling bad parts, but doesn't negligence or ignorance still carry some responsibility?

My other point here is that maybe MY02s are somewhat delicate due to their low weight? I guess there is no free lunch.

Last edited by dcdude; 01-19-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

You know, I thought long and hard about this. It still makes me bitter to get taken like that, but in the end I do believe that Steve is not malicious--he's just like a lot of self-titled car guys who really don't know much about much.

Perhaps he saw other ads that all said "straight and true" and assumed that was just some fluff you said to help sell wheels. In my case, on the way out of small claims court, he told me that the wheels had to be fine, since they balanced OK the last time he had the tires mounted... 10,000 New Jersey miles ago! Seriously, he said that.

I'm just sorry I was foolish and stuck the wheels in my cellar for the winter, rather than having them checked right away. That delay prevented me from recovering in court.

But how many people selling wheels take them to a pro and have them checked before selling? The wheel guy who checked the wheels for me said he gets take-offs from dealers all the time, and more than half of them are bent. So the moral here is: never buy wheels without a pre-agreed right of return.

Here's the original ad: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...avs-es100.html
Old 01-19-2009, 11:00 AM
bart1
Race Car

Check Wheel Collision Center. I bought a rear 968 wheel when I found a crack in one of mine. The front might be a little harder to come by, but it's worth checking. Much cheaper than Wheel Enhancement, IIRC.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
bart1
Race Car

Linky: http://www.wheelcollision.com/pors5.htm
Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by RallyJon
So the moral here is: never buy wheels without a pre-agreed right of return.
In addition, ask about the miles on the setup since mount and balance. Depending on the result, request that they get checked before shipping (ideally before listing?) in order to save the time and expense of two-way shipping. Sounds like this process will likely preclude most ebay auctions from consideration. Who knew that we would need a PPI for our G-D wheels? Porsche guys can be such a-holes!

Thanks, Bart. I like Wheel Collision (and his taste in umbrella girls). I've never used them personally, but I just recommended them to another Lister:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=44637

I'm very luke-warm on Wheel Enhancement. I called them recently and sensed just a touch of attitude, which I have no tolerance for. But what do you expect in the (310), I guess?
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=44637

Quick Reply: Crap! Wheels have axial play and crack.