Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Changed my engine decklid lift pistons, STAND BACK!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
McGarrett
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a perfect timed thread. Mine are so lethargic, I'm having them replaced ASAP!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:04 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Follow what Mike says. There are several oem part numbers and you should get the exact one for your application.
The 964 ones are identical as well and you wouldn't want those.
One other thing, in the rear inside of the car where the rear decklid shocks are installed, there are two
holes where the shock mounts can be fixed, one above the other.
If installing new rear decklid shocks, be sure to mount them on the upper hole. This way your lid won't fly open.
On the bottom hole, the leverage is easier for the shock to lift the lid.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

My fronts are toast as well (even tho I specifically asked the PO: Do the front hood shocKs work? Not much room for ambiguity in that question - you would have thought...

Look like a real PITA to swap out - any pointers to a write-up (with lots of pictures!!)?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Best I can tell, the rear decklid shocks are good for about 2.5 yrs. Make sure you cover the area underneath with a big towel to catch the parts you'll drop.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:45 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Surj-993C2S
My fronts are toast as well (even tho I specifically asked the PO: Do the front hood shocKs work? Not much room for ambiguity in that question - you would have thought...

Look like a real PITA to swap out - any pointers to a write-up (with lots of pictures!!)?
<p-car.com> has a write-up with pictures in the DIY section. Much easier than it looks, but take your time. The first (and only) time I did mine, it took about 45 minutes for all four. I could do it in under 20 next time.

A pointer for the front shocks- just leave the ball clip in place and you can pop it on. (The DIY write-up talks about positioning the clip, but it's not necessary.) I used a jumbo screwdriver wrapped in a rag to wedge between the inside of the fender and the shock, then "levered" the shock off it's mount. The screwdriver is the fulcrum, so you have to work it down into that well fairly deeply in order to get enough leverage for the shock to pop off. I was able to pop the new ones on without tools and without messing with the ball clip.

Rears were pretty simple. Plenty of room to manipulate your hand once you get it back there. I was lucky not to drop any clips because I had a couple extra ones. If I didn't have extra ones, I would have lost the originals.

PM me if you need some clarification.

-Jim
Old 12-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimbo3

... I was lucky not to drop any clips because I had a couple extra ones. If I didn't have extra ones, I would have lost the originals.

-Jim
That's the exact method I used, too!
Old 12-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumtoc
Already replaced my hood and trunk struts, all 4 were shot when I got the car so this was one of the first little projects. They both open/hold well with no drama.

Will be fitting an RS wing later and wondered if I need to use different struts due to the addtional weight?
An oem RS tail is 6.5# lighter than a stock powered tail. Stand back
Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree with getting an extra clip and one extra pin, they are way too easy to drop into places you can't see and the magnet can't reach. I used the factory rear struts last month when I did mine, I've found a tremendous difference in life span of these struts, some go for 4 or 5 years, others are gone in 2 years.
I think you want them to just pop the lid enough to get your hand under the lid,
I'd be concerned about anything that throws the lid up on it's own.
As has been said, the rears are just a pain, the fronts will teach you new words for your vocabulary. No kids nearby and warn the neighbors to stay indoors.

Last edited by CentralCoastC4S; 12-24-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: too early in the morning to be coherant
Old 12-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
An oem RS tail is 6.5# lighter than a stock powered tail. Stand back
I'm don't know anything about the weights for OEM -vs- aftermarket RS tails. When I installed an MA Shaw tail it sure seemed like the weight decrease was more than 6.5 lbs.

The mechanical claptrap for the original tail was HEAVY.

The MA Shaw unit was light, but I never bothered weighing anything so can't make a comparison.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993
I'm don't know anything about the weights for OEM -vs- aftermarket RS tails. When I installed an MA Shaw tail it sure seemed like the weight decrease was more than 6.5 lbs.

The mechanical claptrap for the original tail was HEAVY.

The MA Shaw unit was light, but I never bothered weighing anything so can't make a comparison.
I did measure mine. The Shaw may be a tad lighter than an oem RS if the Shaw doesn't have the finished throat area. The oem RS throat is nicely finished, the Shaw RSA tail on my '76 is not. I have no idea about the Shaw RS
Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading this post I decided to repair mine. Here are my comments on the part numbers and differences after talking with the boys at Sunset. 911.512.331.01 and xxx.02 are indentical in size and appearence. .01 has a rating of 320 #'s (or something like that) and .02 is much higher--something like 600#'s. My Sunset guy couldn't decern from his info if that was gas charged ratings or a rating of how much weight they could support.

We both agreed it didn't matter because it became obvious that the .02 must be for Turbos and/or Aero Kit cars.

Here is my own hypothesis. When looking around both Pelican and Performance only sell (1) choice for REAR decklid struts. (disregard their part numbers) Abeit they are less expensive than Sunsets. I think the aftermarket ones that both Pelican and Performance sell are probably the higher gassed up models. This allows them to have to only carry one item of this part type. People won't return a strut that explodes your decklid up, but if you have a Turbo wing/aero kit and ordered the lower charged strut it wouldn't work and you would blame the vendor.

Just my .02 worth.

BTW, I'm not that mechanically inclined and rarely attempt DIY stuff. The removal was actually quite simple. No clips or pins lost, etc. I'm going to move on to the fronts next. Maybe even spark plugs someday.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Dave
LOL. I remember that when I replaced mine. It seemed like a small cat napping on the rear edge of the wing could be flung over the entire car. It beat holding the deck lid open with a paint stirrer.
Haha. I hear you on the paint stirrer. Did you guys replace one or both struts in the back? I read that only doing the passenger side is suffice as the driver's side one is a pain to get to.

Definitely on my list to do during the winter.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark, can you save me an email to Sunset and let me know what the .01 version costs?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine from Sunset and it was the easiest DIY, I ever did.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron
Hey Mark, can you save me an email to Sunset and let me know what the .01 version costs?
911.512.331.01-Rear Decklid Struts (w/o superpowers) Sunset price-$21.13 ea.

I ordered a couple extra clips and pins just in case. They were less than a buck each which I figured to be cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Changed my engine decklid lift pistons, STAND BACK!