Sponsored by:

Porsche Budget Swallowed by Motor Yacht

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Vic,
I know you said you avoid Ebay, but there is '95 C2 Coupe Tip currently at $18,500 that ends today.
Just FYI
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7859359&rd=1,1
Old 03-14-2007, 04:26 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Agreed eBay has been notorious for crappy cars or cars with stories, but its not always the case. Many folks use eBay primarily for advertisement.

Always remember; no stone unturned -- one just never knows until he does
Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Please HONK if you see my car =======> PM: Crownvic

Blue Ocean,

Are you the seller of that car?

The reason I'm asking is that by posting it here to a worldwide audience it will no doubt bring up its bidding until it is no longer much of a deal.

This is why, both in the text and after my signature, I've asked folks to send me a PM. I appreciate the head's up though, and had already checked out that car which is much like Bugnbox's although this one doesn't have Varioram. You will find my thread from a couple of weeks ago about the dubious CARFAX of this car:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/334948-decoding-a-carfax-report.html

The Seller explicitely states that you have to have the car inspected BEFORE winning the auction. This means you're committing to buying the car without a PPI. Otherwise you can pay for a PPI for a car you'll maybe lose to another bidder - it makes NO SENSE!

This is why I really don't like eBay. Fighting a tug of war with every other bloke in the planet for something which is just a multiple unit production series built sports car, however nice or cheap it seems. I'll take a person to person gentleman's agreement over a web page filled with legal jargon before you jump into the mud and start wrestling. For a race history 917 you've dreamt of all your life, I can understand. But for cars listed in classifieds of every city and found all over in dealerships, it seems to be unnecessary aggravation + gratuitous risk taking.

I nonetheless appreciate the suggestion, and THX for testing that PM button which preserves normal conditions between buyer and seller.

Cheers,

Vic
Please HONK if you see my car =======> PM: Crownvic
Old 03-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Cool First hand only pls + by PM only pls

Guys,

If you checked out that CARFAX thread linked to above, you'll see photos of the doors of that eBay car. It seems great until you look at the pics more closely. The front edge of both doors seems to have had a case of touch up paint over rust. Maybe indicative of an oddball history tossed between NJ and FL and NJ and FL. If you're in the Miami area and had a chance to test drive, then it might be a go. But NOT for a remote purchase sight unseen.

If it looks too good to be true, it isn't true... UNLESS a Rennlister has seen it and confirms. And it will only stay true if ya gimme a holler... by... PM.

Just for general reference in the distant future (I did sign up again at eBay just in case), pls PM me if you've seen a car in person or heard second hand that it isn't one best avoided. THX!

Vic
Old 03-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Blue Ocean
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I'm not the seller of the car nor am I bidding on it.
I just noticed it and the low price - didn't do any due diligence on the car.
Thought at that price someone might be interested in researching it.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Thumbs up Jeff - You're a Right Guy !

Yeah Jeff, thanks for mentioning it. Sorry I sounded sour grapes but I just about pulled the plug on that car a couple of weeks ago, so it tossed me back into angst to watch its bids inching up steadily - they started at $20 with no reserve, those are usually bad auctions to get involved with because bidders get hooked on the idea that its an incredible deal and never want to give it up even when the price goes silly.

I spent the better part of an evening with my son considering hopping a plane to make an offer. Avid had it advertised for $31.999 with a "special internet pricing" of $29,999. Thought of heading there with a cashier's check for $25k (plus some play money if it was really mint) but then figured that with the opaque Carfax history and the wierd paint rash it might prove to be a boomerang trip for nothing.

The real deal was Bugnbox's higher mile 1996 in the same color combo: a California car with a known history, sorted out and honestly offered by a Rennlister. I'm glad it was someone here who adopted his nice original daily driver for $22k.

See ya in the threads!

Vic

Quick Reply: Porsche Budget Swallowed by Motor Yacht