993 Forum 1995-1998

Aftermarket HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Jukelmon
I initially bought the H1 4300K kit from Flashplus for ~$120 shipped. The ballast is similar to the Hella ballast, and even says "Hella Technology" on it, although maybe it is a knock off. It seems like a quality piece though based on weight and how solid it feels. Can't speak for the innards, but the kit works fine when plugged in. Based on GRMNXTC's pictures, I have decided I like the clean install of having the ballast loaded INTO the headlight, thus I got some "replacement ballasts" from cartoka, which measure 3.5x3 inches, and apparently fit. I haven't received all the parts yet, but it looks like a plug and play, once the plugs have been properly placed.

here is the kit I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...91241701QQrdZ1

and the replacement ballast: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...QQcmdZViewItem

if you like GRMNXTC's install, start with the replacement ballast, and get the bulbs to match, you need H1s, color is up to you. 4000k is white, the higher you go, the more blue, then purple the light becomes. I think 4300 is close to the litronic color.
good luck

Kika
Old 03-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Kika.

So, you are in 120.00 plus another 130.00 for an in "into the headlights" set up?

Anyone tried this kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Thank you
Old 03-15-2007, 02:18 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Lots have people have bought from Vertex... you see from a search...

I just bought another set (for a different vehicle) from this outfit: (no affil etc)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200088589549

The ballasts look the right size. (time will tell when they arrive in about 10 days). I'll post back here when they arrive.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Jukelemon,
yes, obviously not the most cost effective route, as I will end up with an extra set of ballasts, so MY path is not the way to follow.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Lots have people have bought from Vertex... you see from a search...

I just bought another set (for a different vehicle) from this outfit: (no affil etc)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200088589549

The ballasts look the right size. (time will tell when they arrive in about 10 days). I'll post back here when they arrive.
Have they arrived yet?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I got my Carotka Ballasts this week. The cartoka ones are virtually the same size as the ones I had (3x3.5) so I asked GRMNXTC to measure his and see if they are the same size. I bought some electrical connectors last night and hope to find time tomorrow to make some connectors and get them installed. Depends on how busy I get at work. incidentaly both sets have exsun printed on the side, along with a manufacured on date. I know the VERTEX ones come in an Exsun box too, so I think the ballasts are all made by the same company, just put in slightly different casings.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:17 AM
grmnxtc
Pro

Originally Posted by Jukelemon
Have they arrived yet?

Thanks
Yep, they arrived yesterday. Very nice Rugged Boxed presentation (just like the Ebay photos).

Measured them and the older ones in the headlamp. They are both the same size.

Boxed Length (excluding the connector projections)= 3.5"
Width= 3.1"
Depth= 1.25"

I had to laugh at the "instructions" in the box though. Someone obvioulsy took the Chinese language original, reversed it in a mirror and then dragged it kicking and screaming through the free online Babelfish translator. Then again, maybe it started as Greek?....

Anyway, the units look decent enough and for the price I cannot complain. These are destined for the wife's Yukon, when I get a few spare moments along with all the other honey-do's!!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

Thanks.

I found a supplier in the USA for 136.00 shipped. Has 100% positive feedback.

MOST ballasts look to be mostly the same in terms of dimension so, that is what I am banking on.

Quick quesiton, do you happen to know if the Yukon and Suburban headlights are the same i.e. the housing/projector type? It was my understanding that you really need projector type housings to have HID's.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 03:22 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Well spotted...

I replaced the headlight assemblies with a pair of more modern housings. The replacement low beam is a true projector (and takes H1's the same of the 993).

All part of the wife's truck "bling" makeover... (it was cheaper than replacing it with an Escalade!)

Best of luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Can you be more specific on the "more modern" housings i.e. what and where did you find them? My Suburban LT is a 2004 model with the 9006 bulb insert. It does not look like a projector type.

I live in a rural area so, it would be nice to upgrade the Sub.'s lights too.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

There is a difference between GRMNXTC's headlight back plate and mine. My headlight backplate has two circular protrusions that extend into the headlight (towards the lense). one of them hits the ballast, I think I can grind it down to make a room for the ballast. I made a little pigtail with a 10A fuse in line to connect between the exisiting 12V side and the ballast, to prevent any damage in the event that the ballast shorts out.
Does anyone know what those little protrusions on the inside of the back plate are for? I have a 96, so it may be a difference between 95 and 96.
getting there.....slowly.......

Kika
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Trey03
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok...

Nobody answered Kika's question but I bought the set of ballasts prior to reading the ENTIRE thread. I have the same little protrusions on the inside of the back plate. My car is a '97.

What did you end up doing? Clearly the ballast won't fit without removing those things...

Trey
Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Trey,
I used a pair of wire clippers and clipped one of the plastic protrusions off, ballasts went in fine after that. I have had them in for a few months with no problems, though with Daylight savings, I don't use the headlights much. In fact it has been so nice, I have actually been riding my bike to work.
I also measured temps of the ballasts, neither goes over 120 deg F. and the passenger side is driven by the oil line that runs behind it, the driver side runs around 80 deg F.

Aloha
Old 08-27-2007, 08:32 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow up:

Any problems with any of your ballasts and heat?
Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got HID's for my bike at www.cqlights.ca and they've been great. The ballasts are very small and I bet they'd easily fit into the 993 headlight housings.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HIDs