Sponsored by:

Initial driving impressions of my new 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:26 PM
993turboplease
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Initial driving impressions of my new 993

Finally picked up the car I've wanted for years - a 1996 993 C2, thanks to Keith at Rennsport Calgary for all of his advice and professionalism!

Took it out for its first fast ride yesterday, in the Canadian Rockies. I have previously driven the Acura NSX, Ferrari 430 and 355 around tracks (Ferraris) and street (NSX) for background. Years of running streetbikes, this is my first real sportscar.

Here are my findings:
1) Incredible feedback through the wheel, almost too much at first, far more than the NSX for example. Constantly writhing and wriggling over ridges and roughened surfaces and over pebbles.
2) Strange front end float at high speed under acceleration - a little disconcerting at first, first time was at 150 km/h in a sweeper and I wondered if it was just understeering but then got largely the same feel in a straight line later on at 200-220 km/h. I've heard this mentioned before but it was a lot more pronounced than I would have thought. I'll probably get used to it but does the RS splitter lessen this at all?
3) Prodigious traction out of bends (Quaife LSD installed prior to purchase).
4) Incredible grip, couldn't approach the limits yesterday on public roads.
5) Lateral body motion is far better controlled than vertical ie. little body roll but it does bob at the front end over some bumps. My suspension is currently the standard US suspension complete with F-150 like ride height - thinking about the Bilstein HD package and wondering if thos would control some of the bob.
6) Unbelievable brakes and progressive feel.
7) Seems to lack torque down low but more than made up for by the explosion above 5000 rpm.
8) I absolutely love the roar of the engine (motorsound package) and the smell of the thing after a fast ride.

Overall a totally absorbing driving experience. You can easily see why this car is an icon. Obvious now why the 993 is not depreciating - why the hell would you sell a car like this...

I'll post some pics when I've cleaned it up.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:36 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

cool...congrats on your purchase! Hope to see the car this summer at the Canada West Weekend at Sun Peaks!
To your comments, when you improve the suspension with the HD package, most of the negative comments will go away. The car is amazing after a proper suspension and alignement setup. I have the H&R coilovers on my cabrio and do not have any issues at speed, no floating, no double sets nothing.

Welcome to the slippery slope
Old 03-11-2007, 08:49 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

the nose bobbling and floaty feeling that you describe in the front is why some love a C2 so much...

it takes some getting used to... but makes the car very communicative in your hands and (as i am sure that you have discovered) when you really nail it out of a curve, just plants that *** in the back...

just the dynamics of having so much weight in the rear...
Old 03-11-2007, 08:58 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993turboplease
Finally picked up the car I've wanted for years - a 1996 993 C2, thanks to Keith at Rennsport Calgary for all of his advice and professionalism!

Took it out for its first fast ride yesterday, in the Canadian Rockies. I have previously driven the Acura NSX, Ferrari 430 and 355 around tracks (Ferraris) and street (NSX) for background. Years of running streetbikes, this is my first real sportscar.

Here are my findings:
1) Incredible feedback through the wheel, almost too much at first, far more than the NSX for example. Constantly writhing and wriggling over ridges and roughened surfaces and over pebbles.
2) Strange front end float at high speed under acceleration - a little disconcerting at first, first time was at 150 km/h in a sweeper and I wondered if it was just understeering but then got largely the same feel in a straight line later on at 200-220 km/h. I've heard this mentioned before but it was a lot more pronounced than I would have thought. I'll probably get used to it but does the RS splitter lessen this at all?
3) Prodigious traction out of bends (Quaife LSD installed prior to purchase).
4) Incredible grip, couldn't approach the limits yesterday on public roads.
5) Lateral body motion is far better controlled than vertical ie. little body roll but it does bob at the front end over some bumps. My suspension is currently the standard US suspension complete with F-150 like ride height - thinking about the Bilstein HD package and wondering if thos would control some of the bob.
6) Unbelievable brakes and progressive feel.
7) Seems to lack torque down low but more than made up for by the explosion above 5000 rpm.
8) I absolutely love the roar of the engine (motorsound package) and the smell of the thing after a fast ride.

Overall a totally absorbing driving experience. You can easily see why this car is an icon. Obvious now why the 993 is not depreciating - why the hell would you sell a car like this...

I'll post some pics when I've cleaned it up.
Yep.

Hey, it will probably feel less floaty with fresh suspension. If that is the original hardware, it is shot and contributing to your impressions.
Bilstein HDs with M030 springs are a good combo. There are others.
Welcome!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock suspension goes south pretty fast, if yours is stock, replace it and upgrade. There are lots of options, but with most of them you will eliminate all the floatiness, and replace it with taunt controled stabililty.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

How about the Bilstein PSS9's and RS adjustable sways? Congrats on the new car, you're gonna love it!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:51 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said, change the suspension. It'll address the floatiness you wrote about.
The feedback will still be there. The boom at 5000 is awesome. I'm jealous of the roads
you have to drive on, I've driven many of them in that area. Enjoy the car!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:13 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

I changed my stock suspension last week to HD Bilstein and M030 springs and sways. The ride high is ROW sport. It is a difference like day and night compare to the US stock suspension. I got the parts from Viper Bob. It was worth every Penny.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:22 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up but where are the pictures?
Old 03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
Thanks for the write-up but where are the pictures?
Yea! What he said! & Welcome to the "list"............ZP44
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
993turboplease
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback...pics are coming this weekend - I'll post some nice ones with mountains in the background.
I've heard the PSS-9's are a little harsh for the street although they shine on track. Makes it tough because I'll get a few track days in this year undoubtedly.

Quick Reply: Initial driving impressions of my new 993