993 Forum 1995-1998

C4S stainless door sills

Old 05-13-2015, 11:47 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Now if I could just teach the GF to stop plopping her *** onto the outside bolster of the sport seats and aim for the middle of the seating area; I'd be way ahead of the game!

...and don't slam the door!
I always open and close the doors from my wife when we are driving the 993 or 964 and I hold her hand while she sits down so I can nudge her in the right part of the seat. She always asks why I open the door for her in those cars but not in our other cars.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 AM
pilotjosh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are a little off size-wise. They look great but required some small modifications to get them to fit just right.

In this picture you can see that the door sill would either have to stick out too far (towards the outside of the car) or sit up on the ledge above where it's suppose to. Just test fitting them I managed to scratch the paint a little on that upper rolled edge. I think if you installed these without pulling the rubber door gasket you may not notice this, and eventually vibration is going to wear through that paint.

A small correction and it fits better:

I also had to cut the front down, the overall length of the stainless steel was too long, and the mitered edge at the front wasn't quite the right angle.

I also had to bend the outter edge of the sill to a slightly more obtuse angle to get a better flush fit.

I'm still happy though. For the price a little effort makes them look great.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:03 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just received these and im very impressed. Quality of the etching looks great. Only difference I can see between the and Genuine Porsche (at about 5x the price are
- the S doesn't touch the top part of the 4. There is a small gap.
- they seem marginally heavier although the the metal exterior surface and text both have the same colouring.

Looking forward seeing these every time I open the door.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:24 PM
pilotjosh
Racer

Finished Product:

I covered them in xpel to prevent scratches and replaced the worn door seal.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Removing 20 year old adhesive was a slow and PIA job. Patience is key for that portion of the job!

Similar issue to Pilotjosh, only at the base where a correction needed to be made for a better fit. Otherwise it would not sit flush and level.

Put SunTek protection film on mine too, highly recommended!
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2015, 02:03 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you guys alerted the seller about these issues?
Old 05-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
Mine just arrived today. i will report back with any issues pertaining to fit. I did apprise Keith of PilotJosh's concerns, and copied him on this thread...
Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
My turbo ones was a perfect fit. Like some have said. Time consuming to get rid of the glue.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:44 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Interesting most have fitted them without any issues. My car is a very early build 96 model (march 95), maybe that's why there is an elevated indent at the base which requires a correction.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was Keith and I made and sold 40 and 3 had fitment problems I wouldn't change anything. I by no means am suggesting that some had fitment problems but as a supplier you have to consider all aspects. I would not have wanted a notch in mine as the OE did not have a notch.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 AM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sending Keith an email today to get the 4S version ... The original owner of my car replaced the sills with the "Carrera" version so Im hoping there will be less glue to deal with...
Old 05-23-2015, 11:35 AM
pilotjosh
Racer

Originally Posted by Knight
Interesting most have fitted them without any issues. My car is a very early build 96 model (march 95), maybe that's why there is an elevated indent at the base which requires a correction.
Mine is an early build too, 1994. There may be some variance in manufacturing though. The first Sill I had to trim lengthwise because it was too long, but the second I did not. I didn't think to compare them before I started the install, but one was slightly longer than the other.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:35 PM
DFC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by junkiok
Do a search, alot of us bought the sills from Harvey - he sells on e-bay and will put whatever you want on them. If no luck, PM me and I'll go look for a receipt.
Harvey doesn't produce them anymore as far as I know.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Great product though some work is needed for perfect fit

I just completed this over the better half of a day. To be fair, most of the time was getting rid of the pesky adhesive (used fishing string to separate the PVC sills, and then plenty of GooGone, Rubbing Alcohol, and elbow grease!) Keith's product is of great material and quality (and it took just 24 hrs to get it from the UK!), but definitely needs fabrication work for a perfect fit.

I will post some pics later, but I had to cut/trim/sand down the front edge, and cut/clip the opposite corner/edge as per other posters' experience, as it was protruding/rubbing against the contour of the door sill, scratching the paint, and preventing a flush fitment. So a dremel tool is very much needed to get this right.

Also, the edges are pretty sharp, and over time I feel may scratch the paint, so I ended up using electrical tape on the underside (and hence cannot be seen) to prevent metal-on-metal contact. Call me ****, but I felt it is worth spending the extra time doing that. Will post some pics of the install and the 'fabrication' involved.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:15 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Again, may be that some cars had variances at the factory. Mine went in w/o any need for modification.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  59.5 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4S stainless door sills