Sponsored by:

WTF - What To Flush...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTF - What To Flush...

It seems that everyone has the urge to flush all the fluids in the car. Here is my attempt to identify all of the flushable items and what it takes to accomplish the task.

Brakes and clutch slave. This would be Superblue ATE or any performance brake fluid and using a Motive bleeder. Is it worth using different colors to make sure you flushed all the old fluid...blue vs. gold. I am still no totally clear on how to flush the clutch slave but I will search more.

Power Steering. It sounds like the turkey baster, siphon hose or pump is the prefered method. A recent thread mentioned moving the steering rack and let the pump run to get more fluid into the resivor. This seems to be a two step process to try and change 90% of the fluid. It sounds like Pentosin is what works best.

Transmission. It looks like there is a drain and fill plug and this is where some sort of pump will help the fill process. Mobil 1 75W-90 SHC. Does the SHC mean synthetic because that is all I see on the Mobil1 US website.

C4S front Diff. Has drain and fill plug and the same fluid as the transmission.

Am I missing anything else. Do I need a bunch of coffee cans to hold the old fluids.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:33 AM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

To flush the slave, look here... http://p-car.com/diy/slave/
Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
mbb993
Instructor

I have only done the slave once and the brakes once since I have owned my Motive. It came with no instructions (and I really did look for them) . Could use some tips on avoiding a mess disconnecting the Motive!

The only thing I am not entirely clear on is how to get the master cylinder reservoir back to the correct level after the flush?

I was thinking let the Motive bleeder empty completely or siphon off the excess after the power flush? I may be filling it up too much.

Get some of the Motive drain canisters or make your own with some tubing to fit the bleeders and an old plastic jug with a hole in the cap will work fine for the used stuff.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:52 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
It seems that everyone has the urge to flush all the fluids in the car. Here is my attempt to identify all of the flushable items and what it takes to accomplish the task.

Brakes and clutch slave. This would be Superblue ATE or any performance brake fluid and using a Motive bleeder. Is it worth using different colors to make sure you flushed all the old fluid...blue vs. gold. I am still no totally clear on how to flush the clutch slave but I will search more.

Super Blue is perfectly fine for both systems. I have a Motive Black Label and use it for pressure only. I de-pressurize and refill the reservoir as needed, thereby keeping the inside of the Motive clean. Works perfect. As for the slave, you bleed it just like the brakes. You'll need a longer piece of clear tubing going to a catch bottle. The bleed nipple is smaller than the caliper nipples. Make sure the reservoir stays full during this.

Power Steering. It sounds like the turkey baster, siphon hose or pump is the prefered method. A recent thread mentioned moving the steering rack and let the pump run to get more fluid into the resivor. This seems to be a two step process to try and change 90% of the fluid. It sounds like Pentosin is what works best.

I'll leave this to those who have actually messed with the power steering - I have not.

Transmission. It looks like there is a drain and fill plug and this is where some sort of pump will help the fill process. Mobil 1 75W-90 SHC. Does the SHC mean synthetic because that is all I see on the Mobil1 US website.

Mobilube 75/90 SHC can be purchased through Lüfteknic. No pump needed. Crack the fill plug first, then drain the tranny. Warm the fluid if needed, then attach a 4' length of clear tubing to a funnel and fill it up. The tranny takes just under a gallon. Slowly fill it all in and then allow the excess to weep from the fill hole. Make sure the car is level on four stands for this.

C4S front Diff. Has drain and fill plug and the same fluid as the transmission.

Am I missing anything else. Do I need a bunch of coffee cans to hold the old fluids.
Hope that helps!

Andreas
Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
mbb993
Instructor

I have a Motive Black Label and use it for pressure only. I de-pressurize and refill the reservoir as needed, thereby keeping the inside of the Motive clean. Works perfect.
Great tip, amazingly simple and neat! I also have a Motive Black Label and will try this next time. Will waste a lot less expensive fluids this way too.
Thanks Adreas!

Quick Reply: WTF - What To Flush...