Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone rec. a trickle charger like the Porsche one for less than $105?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:22 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck A.
I am looking for the type that plugs into the cigar lighter, but the Porsche one is over $100. There's also a non-electronic version, but even that one's over $60.

Is there another brand model out there?

Link to Porsche Part
Chuck,

I have two maintenance chargers. The first is a "Junior Tender". The cost of which was approximately $39.00. The Junior Tender has alligator clips that connect to the battery terminals through the trunk.

The second maintenance charger is the device that Porsche sells. I like this specific maintenance charger because the charger is connected into the cigarette lighter without having to deal with the trunk. The Porsche maintenance charger is more expensive than the Junior Tender. When I purchased the Porsche maintenance charger, I had no idea that there were similar units, less expensive, that connected into the cigarette lighter, which is more convenient.
I may be reading this post wrong, but there seems to be an adapter that connects in the passenger compartment, eliminating removing the charging cord from the passenger's compartment when driving?
I am probably confused, but if an adapter exists that accomplishes driving without removing the cord from the passenger's compartment I'm ready to purchase.
As a related but seperate matter, I think that there is a specific order to connect ac power first from the charger to te cigarette lighter to charge the battery, and after charging, removing ac power from the charger before disconnecting the charger from the cigarette lighter??
I will appreciate any members clarrifying:
1. The existence of a cigarette adapter to eliminate the charging cord being removed before driving and;
2. The sequence for connecting and disconnecting the charger.
Sorry to digress. Thanks- Harry
Old 11-01-2018, 06:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Twilightblue28A
Chuck,

I have two maintenance chargers. The first is a "Junior Tender". The cost of which was approximately $39.00. The Junior Tender has alligator clips that connect to the battery terminals through the trunk.

The second maintenance charger is the device that Porsche sells. I like this specific maintenance charger because the charger is connected into the cigarette lighter without having to deal with the trunk. The Porsche maintenance charger is more expensive than the Junior Tender. When I purchased the Porsche maintenance charger, I had no idea that there were similar units, less expensive, that connected into the cigarette lighter, which is more convenient.
I may be reading this post wrong, but there seems to be an adapter that connects in the passenger compartment, eliminating removing the charging cord from the passenger's compartment when driving?
I am probably confused, but if an adapter exists that accomplishes driving without removing the cord from the passenger's compartment I'm ready to purchase.
As a related but seperate matter, I think that there is a specific order to connect ac power first from the charger to te cigarette lighter to charge the battery, and remove ac power from the charger before disconnecting the charger from the cigarette lighter??
I will appreciate any members clarrifying:
1. The existence of a cigarette adapter to eliminate the charging cord being removed before driving and,
2. The sequence for connecting and disconnecting the charger.
Sorry to digress. Thanks- Harry
Chuck wrote the initial post on this thread 11 years ago
Old 11-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Chuck wrote the initial post on this thread 11 years ago
Too funny!! Thanks for bringing the year Chuck's post was written.lol.
If anyone can can answer my questions numbered 1 and 2 in 2018 I will appreciate your help,
Thanks again- Harry, 2018
Old 11-02-2018, 03:48 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 403 Posts

CTEK 3300s work well with NJ electrical current. :-)

You can pick them up at Stable Energies in Garfield or Amazon.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:54 AM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Quick Reply: Can anyone rec. a trickle charger like the Porsche one for less than $105?