Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Full Engine Rebuild Cost on a 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a data point - while shopping for a car I found a 96 993 with 95K that had a full engine rebuild at about 85K. The car was spotless. Not sure what all was replaced, but the rebuild receipt was for about $24K (from a tampa/st pete shop). Car test drove very well - but then it should for that much...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:50 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that happened over the last 3-4 years is that all the parts went up over 30% just from the exchange rate with the Euro.

George
Old 03-06-2007, 03:11 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by geo.aigel
Hi Steve,

Good points. Especially if you actually pay for the labor, brand new parts are the way to go, as the labor is a big chunk of money that you don't want to spend again soon down the line. That said, you really think new rockers are necessary, if the old ones can be rebushed and resurfaced? That's what you are doing to the rods as well. New valves? The rocker shafts, do they really wear? Do you need to resurface the cam housing?

Take care,

George
Hi George:

New rockers are, quite honestly not made very well anymore. The camshaft pads are oftentimes not parallel with the camshafts and I'd MUCH rather rebush and resurface the pads of the original used ones to ensure they are flat & true. Rods, too are straightened, rebushed and the big ends parallel-ground & resized with ARP bolts.

Valves are measured for wear and if the stems are close to tolerance, its penny-wise & pound-foolish to reuse them. Rocker shafts are inspected and if the wear is minimal and localized on one side, they can be rotated 180 degrees and reused. Each and every engine is different and must be assessed individually,.....

Cam housings simply get checked for parallelism and any scoring that would make it prone to leak. If so, we will resurface them with a Blanchard grinder.

We do all of our own machine work in-house to control quality,.....

Good point on parts pricing,....As of March 1st, Porsche discontinued the overnight, drop-ship, free freight to shops and independents and that will have an impact on prices and availability as they have reduced inventory for air-cooled cars in North America. Combined with currency valuation differerences, anything from Europe is pretty spendy now.

Best,

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 03-06-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:24 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Thanks for your reply, Steve. So it looks like some of the items we discussed can indeed be rebuilt. Funny that you mention that the new rockers are not made as well any more. I had bought new ones for my SC, as they were still pretty cheap back then, almost 4 years ago. They looked pretty crummy, with large pores on the metal surfaces and burrs barely removed. The original ones that I removed looked a lot better, in terms of workmanship. I suppose Dieter that used to make them isn't around any more ...

Also glad you agree on the cam towers. These aren't cylinder heads. Flatness can be measured ...

Cheers, George
Old 03-06-2007, 09:49 AM
jayster
Instructor

Just "renewed" a Carb'd 2.7L Euro spec rebuild, w/new stuff where required (everywhere)....The most expensive n/a motor I've built yet ( race engines NOT includede here ).
With case machining to STD. etc, new p/c's blah blah blah. 27,000.00
Not a typo ( replaced 5 0f 6 heads).
This is not a joke.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
jayster
Instructor

To note, on most cars ( air cooled ) they give about 40 hours shop time to rebuild an engine. This is ( I think ) applicable to pre OBD cars. Post OBD cars (SAI) I think it probably adds 3 hours or so. On turbo cars of any vintage ( aircooled) add about 10 to 15 hours for the doo dads ( turbos, plumbing, exhaust) and the P.I.T.A. factor. Then theres the New England factor ( corrosion on everything) can add even more time. Then theres the "my buddy sez" factor that will vary form buddy to buddy, but adds time as well.
The kicker is shop rates average 100.00 per hr. ( you Dentinsts and Doctors, dont say a word, and I wont....)
But for arguments sake, labor is going to be 4,000.00 to 8,000.00 ( the price of a store bought set of *****) The parts, well the parts are what this is all about now isnt it?
On the propers, expect to spend 2 to 4 times the labor on parts. And that should cover most rebuilds.
Obviously this wont apply to you, at least most of you. Just because, most of you dont have engines in this condition. Most require a freshening, which can approach the cost of a "renew", but dont require ALL that goes with overhauling the crankcase.
As far as rockers, replace vs. rebush/regrind. There are valid points on both sides of the debate. I reccomend purchasing twice as many as you need, with the understanding your supplier will get 50% of them back after you check them out.

Quick Reply: Full Engine Rebuild Cost on a 993