Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Full Engine Rebuild Cost on a 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not saying that it needs a rebuild, I am just saying that it is high mileage and would need a rebuild in the next, say 60K miles. The thing is I work for Porsche and I am not yet sure if they would give me a discount on a new 993 engine or a rebuild. Just trying to get some info together so I can make a smart purchase after I sell my 87 Carrera cab.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:50 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you probably need a top end LONG before a bottom end rebuild FWIW

..and from what I understand, top end rebuild is around $6k
Old 03-05-2007, 09:58 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I got a quote for a rebuild and all the new ancillaries like an alternator etc for $15000.00 That included doing some trick things, not a rebuild to factory specs. BTW, it was not for the track car, it was the blue 993 high miler I recently sold.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

To R&R the motor is about 50 hours of labor (includes getting it in and out of the car). Sublet of work does run to about $1500. Parts vary based upon the motor condition. The parts prices listed are if EVERYTHING is bad which is pretty much never. Also the parts listed are list prices. Expect to pay around $10-12K unless there are some unusually wrong things in the motor.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to admit, that $22k figure has had me worried, not that I am in need at the moment, but in the event. I'm glad to see that a few knowledgeable heads agree that it's over the top.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Hi Oshin11,

What ceboyd said. There should be no reason for a bottom end rebuild on a maintained vehicle until at least at 200k. If you drive 10k a year, that's 10 years down the line. Also, 6k for the top end is probably a good number. It's a lot less if you do it yourself and indeed just do the valve guides. A good PPI should be able to determine if the valve guides are on their way out. If they are good now, it's not like they will go bad quickly either.

Good Luck,

George
Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Originally Posted by viperbob
To R&R the motor is about 50 hours of labor (includes getting it in and out of the car).
I think it is obvious what you mean but I wante to clarify: R&R stands for removal and reinstallation, so that's usually the labor to get the engine in and out of the car. Disassembly, cleaning, sending out parts, reassembly are usually not part of "R&R". I agree, 50 hours should cover it completely. The 65 hours quoted in that SC rebuild are too much. People would sell their SCs for parts if it were that much to keep them running.

George
Old 03-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does a rebuild impact the resale value?
Old 03-05-2007, 03:21 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
I don't know about most people, especially people not into Porsche's, but I, personally, would pay more for a nice 911 with a recently rebuilt engine (and/or clutch, trans, etc.) than one with less miles and original engine given that everything else is equal.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:12 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Originally Posted by Leander
It depends. A DIY rebuild will be price neutral, and only if it's documented with purchase receipts and pictures.

A documented rebuid by a reputable shop, say Jerry Woods or similar will be a plus. How much of a plus, I don't know. You will never recover the cost of the rebuild. It's like buying a house. A new roof is a plus, but how much more is the house with a new roof instead of a good 5 year old roof? It can be a wash ...

George
Old 03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a CD full of photos of my SC engine rebuild, all receipts and photos of my friends and me doing the work. And I sold that car for every penny I had put into it. Documentation greatly helps with resale. But since I'm never selling my 993, I just take photos for fun and to post here.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by geo.aigel
That 22k quote for an SC engine rebuild is hogwash. There are a lot of parts on that list that can be rebuilt instead of replaced with new. This includes cylinders, rocker arms, valves etc. Also, some parts usually do not need replacing or machining, like rocker arm shafts and the top head studs. It goes on with the labor charged. $120 an hour is top rate even in expensive places and an SC rebuild should be a week plus R&R of the engine. 45 hours maybe. Then there is also a bunch of cosmetics on the list, like engine tin and hardware plating that's not needed. George
Hi George:

While I cannot defend a $22K rebuild, I WILL tell you that "rebuilding cylinders, rocker arms, valves, etc" doesn't constitute a rebuilt engine thats assumed to be as good, or better than new.

Many parts can be reused but some of the ones you mentioned are not in that category and I state that based on 31+ years of doing 911's. Its not cost-effective to spend all the labor and machine work unless one simply wishes to freshen it up a bit. A properly rebuilt engine should outlast the factory original due to better materials and closer attention to fitment and assembly.

FWIW, a proper 993 engine rebuild (stock) lies in the $ 12-14K range here in our facility, however local labor rates will affect what you see in various locations.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Hi Steve,

Good points. Especially if you actually pay for the labor, brand new parts are the way to go, as the labor is a big chunk of money that you don't want to spend again soon down the line. That said, you really think new rockers are necessary, if the old ones can be rebushed and resurfaced? That's what you are doing to the rods as well. New valves? The rocker shafts, do they really wear? Do you need to resurface the cam housing?

Take care,

George
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

So, on average, how much more is a 993tt to rebuild than an NA?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:21 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi George:

While I cannot defend a $22K rebuild, I WILL tell you that "rebuilding cylinders, rocker arms, valves, etc" doesn't constitute a rebuilt engine thats assumed to be as good, or better than new.

Many parts can be reused but some of the ones you mentioned are not in that category and I state that based on 31+ years of doing 911's. Its not cost-effective to spend all the labor and machine work unless one simply wishes to freshen it up a bit. A properly rebuilt engine should outlast the factory original due to better materials and closer attention to fitment and assembly.

FWIW, a proper 993 engine rebuild (stock) lies in the $ 12-14K range here in our facility, however local labor rates will affect what you see in various locations.
Thanks for weighing in on this contentious issue Steve I was wondering when you were going to show up

Quick Reply: Full Engine Rebuild Cost on a 993