Sponsored by:

Will bad gas cause damage???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:10 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Will bad gas cause damage???

Its not my PCar, Im pretty religious about winterizing that. But Ive got a 70 Bronco(topless beach mobile) thats been sitting for about 4 months on Cape Cod....one of those months in 20 degree weather.

I want to start it up and move it but worry about the gas(yes, forgot to treat it). Should I:

1) just try anyway, no problems if the gas is bad just wont start
2) add Stabil or something else first to the tank and then try?
3) dont even mess with it until I can drain it and put fresh gas in which might be another couple weeks?
Old 03-03-2007, 03:17 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a bronco, they can run on sugar water. Throw some STP high octane treatment directly into the carburetor before attempting to start. Then fuel up with 90 or more octane after you start it up to flush out the furl system. The lower temps should have slowed down any gasoline decomposition. I know boat owners with 454 chevy engines that let their boats sit idle at the dock for months without any problems. To be safe, pull the air cleaner and add fresh fuel into the carberator. I think the hype about old fuel contamination over time is over rated with all the additives they use now to meet the EPA emmission standards. Now your garage queen may be a whole different story.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:26 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that you'll be all right to start it up and move it, but I would top it off with some fresh fuel as soon as practical.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestions, Im going to fill with high Octane which has probably never been done.

I love my Pcar, but I'm amazed at the durability of the Ford. 36 years old, it appears nothing has been done to it mechanically except the brakes/ brake lines/ ditributor and wires I did in the last couple years(in fact, the headers are actually rusted to the block, cant even make out the bolts anymore). I parked it in the fall thinking I was going to go back and winterize it. never did anything to it, cranked it after putting a little gas in the carb....good to go. I didnt even disconnect the battery in the fall. Sure, it leaks, but I'll have the top off and have it driving in the sand dunes as soon as the weather breaks......luckily I have my 993 to drive from the city to the beach because the Bronco definitely is not a highway car.

Pictures if anyone cares....
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

that's a neat beach bronco. I would take care of it. Those engines are real durable. usually, all it takes is a good engine cleaning and system flush and Wd 40 the heck out of the engine compartment, wires, etc. it when it is stored.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:59 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

I like it.

Always loved these sorts of machines.
Can we see pics of the engine compartment?

'95 993 Coupe
(Stock)
Old 03-04-2007, 01:41 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

As requested....engine. its ugly, but this is when I got it pre install of-wires&plugs/distributor/new air filter. but everything else has not been touched....I did vacuum out the leaves.

its from Alabama and was used for fishing/hunting for 20 years. surprising little rust...note the original rear fenders. these are usually found cut to fit bigger tires on 75% of the remaining Broncos . Someday the fiberglass fenders on the front will be removed and the body parts painted the same color(although I like the light color grill and roll bar....maybe a silver)
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2007, 02:43 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by friar93
Thanks for the suggestions, Im going to fill with high Octane which has probably never been done.
Unless your Bronco requires High Octane gas, there is no reason to start now. It is much more important just to fill with fresh gas.

Quick Reply: Will bad gas cause damage???