Sponsored by:

Children & 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007 | 08:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Children & 993

What is the youngest/lightest age/weight for car seats that can fit a 993?

What are peeps doing?

I see the options for Britax, Porsche, others in a search, but those are for rear seat, forward facing, 30+ lb kiddos.

I have a 5 month 15 pounder, and summer is coming. Should I just get whatever rearward facing car seat works, go to www.airbagonoff.com and get all official and installed, and just put him up front, sans airbag? Or do I just have to wait until he can fit in the back facing forwards?

We are transitioning from the infant carrier/stroller/car seat all in one tiny package to a bigger stroller and separate car seat, so just trying to see what the options are at this point.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jos
Old 03-01-2007 | 08:45 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

I waited until kids could ride facing forward in the back. Even then, I rarely do it because it is a PITA to take the seats out of the 4-Runner and put in the P-Car. I mainly keep the Porsche for solo sprints to the hills, or evenings out with the wife.
Old 03-01-2007 | 08:58 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

I bought a couple of extra seats for the pcars. Forward facing and in the back also. Couldn't fit rear facing.
I found one that fits and then bought a "mighty-tite" seat belt thing... cinches that thing in very tight.
Works great.
Search for models that fit... many posts on this here.
Old 03-01-2007 | 09:03 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Britax Starrisers work like a charm (forward facing only) in the rear as they have an adjustable width seat and are somewhat trapezoidal shaped (narrow in the rear). Problem is, I believe they dont make them anymore.
Old 03-01-2007 | 10:23 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Forward facing in the rear seat only. I was already passed the infant seat when I bought the car.
Old 03-01-2007 | 10:31 PM
PARK CITY 993
Intermediate

On the 97 and newer, Porsche does make an airbag deactivation kit along with car seat for the passenger side. I had this installed about two years ago. It was kind of expensive about $600 for a $100 car seat. The airbag deactivation only works when the seat is plugged in.
Old 03-02-2007 | 06:17 AM
sidned
Pro

Had to purchase a Porsche Zoom and a Prince seat for my two girls. One is 3 and one is 8 and both seats fit perfectly in the back. I could not find a single car seat from a mainstream manufacturer that would fit in the back.. I tried the Maxi Cosi Rodi which some people say fit, but I could not see how.

Paid the premium for Porsche seats, but I do not put a price on my children's safety.

That being said, we usually use the family people carrier most of the time and only use the 993 if I'm taking one of the girls out or taking the wife out for the evening.
Old 03-02-2007 | 08:59 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Ive got the Brittax one mentioned above.....very light and easy to get in and out of the back, but didnt put my kids in it until almost 5 yrs old. I tried other ones and not a chance, once I was in a jam and had one in the back at an angle, probably defeated all of the safety benefits.
Old 03-02-2007 | 11:23 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

For small kids I think the Porsche car seat may be worth the $$. I waited til my kids were big enough to use the regular seat belt with a booster seat because I couldn't get the rear belts to hold the aftermarket car seat (Rennlist-approved Century Brevarra) sufficiently well.
Old 03-02-2007 | 11:30 AM
bugnbox
Advanced

Ive jammed my daughters car seat in the back but I had to prop it up on a pillow and I was certainly not happy with the fit. Until the kids are bigger, the Porsche isnt a good choice. You can do it, but I would say the safety level is questionable. My sons are fine in the back, although they complain that its too tight.

Its just the way it is I guess...it's not a family car by any stretch of the imagination.
Plus...ever try to clean up baby puke from the family minivan? In the Porsche it is significantly worse...Im sure everyone here would agree.
Old 03-02-2007 | 11:38 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bugnbox
Ive jammed my daughters car seat in the back but I had to prop it up on a pillow and I was certainly not happy with the fit. Until the kids are bigger, the Porsche isnt a good choice. You can do it, but I would say the safety level is questionable. My sons are fine in the back, although they complain that its too tight.

Its just the way it is I guess...it's not a family car by any stretch of the imagination.
Plus...ever try to clean up baby puke from the family minivan? In the Porsche it is significantly worse...Im sure everyone here would agree.
No offense but I couldn't disagree more re. safety and "family car" status.

I have 2 very safe and secure seats that I use in conjunction with a "mighty-tite" seat belt tensioner. The mighty-tite is like a come-along... ratchets that thing is there VERY tight. So tight that I push the seat back release button to allow it to drop back that extra 1/4" so I don't break the seat.
I use the 993 with my kids as often as possible... as an added bonus they love the car.
In the 964 the challenge was on a whole other level with the rear seat delete option... but that is not for this board

Anyhow, to each their own I suppose. G'day!
Old 03-02-2007 | 11:52 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

mighty-tite sounds like something I need for the rear seats and my kids... I'll have to find a couple.
Old 03-02-2007 | 12:55 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
mighty-tite sounds like something I need for the rear seats and my kids... I'll have to find a couple.
bought mine on amazon... no affiliation, of course.

in the rear of a 993 you need to position it carefully since it takes up seat belt from both directions. I put it up on the top portion of the belt. I usually pull the belt so that it latches to avoid having to take up the entire belt.
Hopefully that makes sense... hard to describe
Old 03-03-2007 | 01:06 AM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Front-facing only for the rear, but unquestionably the Porsche is a family car.

NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER go without a correct child seat however. Someone once posted pictures on this forum using a Yellow Pages as a booster. BAD IDEA - watch some of the crash test vids on the web showing 'submarining' and you'll see why. Approved seats only.

I have the Porsche Zoom/Comfy, the Britax equiv, and a couple of other seats we've used over teh years. of which I can't recall teh names until my wife gets back. My wife is a diligent shopper and manic reviewer of crash test results and we have only ever used what we believe safe.

Experience is that the Porsche seat and the Britax (Star Riser?) are identical except for the fabric, which is horrid on the Porsche and the disabler clip (see below). I have compared them side by side in GREAT detail.

I also have an airbag on-off switch that I use occasionally when a larger kid needs to ride up front for short journeys. All in $400 well spent.

Final note - the 993 has the airbag disabler in the loom, but only from MY97 onwards, hence my purchase of the switch for my 96. The disabler clip is on the Porshce Zoom comfy but only of use if you have a MY97 onwards

Quick Reply: Children & 993