Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for painting supplies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations for painting supplies?

Hi all,

I "need" to paint a set of technology wheels "steel gray".

The local auto paint store seems to want my first born and left arm for the materials to do this.

Any recommendations for a paint supplies source that will not break the bank? I am in California, but I don't mind buying it over the web.

I'd even consider rattle can paint if I have to...

Thanks,
Pete
Old 02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Benton
Drifting

If you are planning on painting them yourself, then you need a LOT of stuff. Compressor, some sort of air dryer, primer, base, clear, a ~$200 gun, sandpaper, and more stuff that can really add up. You are looking at $700+ depending on what you already have. www.alsacorp.com has proprietary colors in rattle cans that would probably turn out relatively well; I bought some of their titanium gray urethane (not in a spray can) and it is a gorgeous color.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the Wurth paint products for wheels. I am pretty sure they offer a silver and clear coat specifically for German wheels. It's "bomb can", but many claim great results.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

ohh yeah, my buds material bill runs about $10-12k a month, paint supplies are ridiculous!!
have you recieved an estimate somewhere to have it done? sometimes about as cheap if you dont have the tools and some of the materials allready. jim has a good idea too, wurth products are great. if they are track wheels just scuff them a little bit with a scotchbrite pad and shoot em.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

I have all the tools, I just need the paint base color + reducer + clear + activator. (or even possibly single stage) These wheels are destined to be my wife's autocross wheels for a while, so they will get some abuse. Not looking for perfection. Just nice looking from 5 feet.

I am interested in trying the factory Steel gray as the normal wheel silver color tends to disappear on my arctic silver car. A little contrast is a good thing. The stock logos on the back of the car and the S aluminum bits inside are in a medium gray which I believe is called Steel Gray.

... although, painting the wheels in a hot Barbie pink with some of that Alsa paint might be an interesting option for her wheels, but then I could never use them.

Pete

Last edited by ppressle; 03-01-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: alsa, not ansa
Old 03-01-2007, 07:50 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by ppressle
The stock logos on the back of the car and the S aluminum bits inside are in a medium gray which I believe is called Steel Gray.
i copy pasted a text i posted on another thread, here it is:

"The color code of the extras on Carerra S is:

Stahlgrau metalic MAT POR61W or in glasurit: P61W

This color comes originally in MAT. The shift **** brake handle wheels mirrors and door handles , Of Course, have lacquer applied after.
Keep this code handy, I had to be in germany and it wasn't easy to get.

Full color code with Sikkens (Akzo Nobel), impossible to get from Glasurit

Color Mix for 1 Litre:

666 ----- 393.7 grams
00 ---- 394.8
575 ---- 395.9
952 ---- 398.2
744 ---- 493.8
333DF ----- 606.3
333C ----- 730.0
333CS ----- 966.2

Give this mix codes to your local sikkens dealer, and you got the color"
1/2 quart today in europe costs $50ish

Quick Reply: Recommendations for painting supplies?