Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Wiper rest position - why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:47 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know where the control unit (if there is one) is located? If you swapped a Euro (ie RHD) control unit for the U.S. one would that make the wipers rest on the other side?

TIA
Old 02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Check the archives - to get the wipers to fully park on the other side you need to make a mechanical adjustment. Small hands help.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ed devinney
Check the archives - to get the wipers to fully park on the other side you need to make a mechanical adjustment. Small hands help.
Yes I've read the procedure, but rather than a mechanical change is it possible to just swap the control units or will this have no effect? I have access to a U.S. left hand drive and a Euro right hand drive cars so I could just swap them.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parking the wipers on the passenger side allows you to have a longer wiper blade for the driver side !
I did the mechanical swap years ago and run a 18inch wiper for the driver side.

Guess if you dont use the reason for the swap, its a waste of time !! I would never go back to the old way.
Just for history the 911 had the wipers parked on the passenger side at first.
Read all kinds of BS about clearing the screen faster but no real explanation !

Geoff
Old 02-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Guys,
I feel stupid ! My excuse is a long day but my mind switched into 964 mode !!!

Have a good one.

Geoff
Old 02-28-2007, 06:16 PM
mbb993
Instructor

I was thinking about making the switch to the passengers side but did not know about the "relay trick" Can someone elaborate?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mbb 993 I also was going to do the mechanical switch but after scraping my knuckles decided not to ! I recently did the relay trick. It is a ten minute job. Do a search for specifics but in a nutshell pull intermittent fuse park wipers to passenger side. switch both wiper arms as one is longer and should be seated nearer to the bonnet and position them as low as possible . -paul
Old 02-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Svaha
Pro

Cool

There is an easy way to reverse the wipers. You have to give up the intermittent function. Remove wiper relay R42 from inside the front trunk. Use the wiper lever to manually leave the wipers as far as they will go to the right. From the outside of the car, you can then remove and reposition the blades as low as you'd like. Switch the wipers with each other while you're at it, the one that was on top goes on bottom, the one that was on bottom goes on top. This makes a huge difference from the driver's perspective.

Happy (clear vision) Driving,
Mark
Old 02-28-2007, 10:35 PM
1990-964
Pro

Hello,

Does anyone know if the relay trick will work on a 964 and if so which relay is it that you pull out? Thanks for any info.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:38 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Wow, that was easy and quick. 10 minutes and didn't even need to fix anything else after I was done! I am glad I saw this post because I was procrastinating about the knuckle busting DIY I was planning to do and this is quickly reversible. I rarely need them. That will likely be the easiest "mod" I will ever do to my P-car!

Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Yes I've read the procedure, but rather than a mechanical change is it possible to just swap the control units or will this have no effect? I have access to a U.S. left hand drive and a Euro right hand drive cars so I could just swap them.
I'm 99% sure that the park position is built into the motor, hence the need to swap the linkage over to stop 180 degrees out. PET shows two different motors and crank units (LL and RL) but only one wiper interval relay.

MB - if you don't use the wipers a lot you can slightly loosen the tension on the blade retaining nuts and nestle them down lower on the passenger side. They won't go down as far on the driver's side but they'll look better parked.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:43 AM
leosayer
Racer

I didn't know about the relay trick, fantastic. The wipers do sit high on the passenger side, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. Losing the intermittent function is a minor annoyance, now all we need is someone to design a relay that brings back the intermittent function, without losing the ability to 'park' the wipers.

I brought this subject up because I spent a couple of hours driving in rain the other day and I just loved the brief glimpses of front wing and bonnet while the wipers were on. I also love that you get a good view of spray kicked up by my car because the rear window stays clear of water at speed, unlike most cars I've driven in the past.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:53 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ed devinney
I'm 99% sure that the park position is built into the motor, hence the need to swap the linkage over to stop 180 degrees out. PET shows two different motors and crank units (LL and RL) but only one wiper interval relay....
Thanks Ed..very helpful
Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Nickels
Advanced

Leo,
After you switch the wipers to the other side, re-adjust the arms so that they nest low on the windshield.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:34 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah - adjusting the height once they park is easy... just loosen the top bolt on the wiper arm shaft, move it down as low as you want without hitting the paint or trim, then retighten.

Quick Reply: Wiper rest position - why?