Sponsored by:

Old Yeller - Convertible Top Cleaning and Protecting DIY -PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work Mike.
I like Meguirs also for bringing a scratched or faded rear window back to life but for day to day cleaning, I ran across (can't recall where) a GREAT spray cleaner called Plexus. Not sure if I bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic...8&s=automotive but you can see the can and description.

This stuff is amazing. Seems to lift dust/dirt away from the plastic. I have a fairly new top and I have yet to get a scratch after months of use. I use a microfiber cloth with it. I like it a lot.
They claim it came from aircraft industry... so maybe Jeff has heard of it
Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Mark. Like I said I always like to try new products. I will order some up. I always do large orders about twice a year. Thanks again.

mike
Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Nice work Mike.
I like Meguirs also for bringing a scratched or faded rear window back to life but for day to day cleaning, I ran across (can't recall where) a GREAT spray cleaner called Plexus. Not sure if I bought it here: http://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Plastic...8&s=automotive but you can see the can and description.

This stuff is amazing. Seems to lift dust/dirt away from the plastic. I have a fairly new top and I have yet to get a scratch after months of use. I use a microfiber cloth with it. I like it a lot.
Yup, we use Plexus on our windscreens on the planes and I also used it to clean my plastic convertible window. I used the Meguirs #10 and #17 for polishing and then used the Plexus between polishing applications.

It is known as "THE" plastic, acrylic, etc. window cleaner.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Nice work Mike.

Yes, Plexus is also great for cleaning motorcycle windscreens and faceshields on helmets.

Mike, I measured the rear window and it is the same dimensions as the window you posted.
I want to post a picture of my old *** (pun intentional):
Jeff, you had a nice ***, too bad you let it get away
You know I just yanking your chain.....
Old 02-22-2007, 08:10 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Jeff, you had a nice ***, too bad you let it get away
You know I just yanking your chain.....
But I'm close to replacing it with another air-cooled vehicle....

http://www.pbase.com/jlsphoto/baron
Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

InTheAir: What concentration of 303/water do you normally use to dilute the 303?
Old 02-23-2007, 09:38 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

I'm using the 303 as a protectant on all vinyl, rubber, leather, etc., so it is put on full strength and wiped around/off.

The RaggTopp Cleaner is also put on full strength on to a wet conv top and scrubbed. The RaggTopp Protectant is then sprayed on the top in multiple coats and in multiple directions.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

How would you do the same top cleaning if the top is still on the car?
Ron
Old 02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
How would you do the same top cleaning if the top is still on the car?
Ron
Just do it the same way I did. The only difference is I would cover the upper back half of the car, the windows , windshield and the upper part of the doors just to prevent the protectant from getting overspray on them. It will wipe right off if it gets on the paint and body.

Mike
Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
But I'm close to replacing it with another air-cooled vehicle....

http://www.pbase.com/jlsphoto/baron
Wow, that looks nice. One of these days I would like to learn to fly. I read some previous threads on the expense so I have a little better idea on what's involved. Just not ready for that right now. Good luck w/ the transaction.

You know, I wouldn't mind letting you borrow my Cab. for a month or so so you can keep your detailing skills sharp!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Yup, we use Plexus on our windscreens on the planes and I also used it to clean my plastic convertible window.
It also works great for cleaning and protecting the rear fender protectors and other clean bra'd areas.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I used Aerospace 303 on my vinyl, leather, plastic, rubber, etc. ....
I used the 303 on my seats and the result was real bad. If I remember correctly, the leather (or leatherette?) looked dried and cracked and mane parts of the seats were covered with ugly spots. I thought I ruined the seats. I called the vendor and they told me to remove the 303 with ps21 mixed with water and rinse with water which required removing the seats from the car . Everything was back to normal but I still don't know what I did wrong. The bottle said to use it on leather too. . Other than that, 303 is the best for other vinyl parts in the car.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:31 PM
fetus
Addict
Rennlist Member

What's the difference between Megs 18 and Megs PLastiX? The local Kragen store only had the Megs PlastiX. Maybe I should try Pep Boys.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff here. Went out to look for the Meguirs stuff and ended up with meguirs plastic X. Did the job on the rear window. Can't believe I've been driving for the past many years without being able to see out the rear window. Great advice.

Quick Reply: Old Yeller - Convertible Top Cleaning and Protecting DIY -PICS