PPI in SF

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:31 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Post PPI in SF

Good Day All!

I am looking at a 97 993 for sale in San Francisco. The owner has agreed to a PPI, but wants to have it performed close to his home which is in the Marina District of the city.

Are there any personal recommendations for a "near-by" shop that can perform a thorough PPI? I've seen the recommendations for the lower Peninsula and South Bay, but nothing within SF. I've searched on the list but nothing seems to turn up.

Once I purchase a car, I will be looking for a trusted wrench in either the South Bay (I work in south San Jose) or Monterey Bay areas (Home, sweet Home).

Thanks for any and all help, advice, etc. I've been faithfully reading the forums for a while now and am excited about all the info available from this network, although not as excited as the thought of finally owning a 993!

Regards,

Steve C
Old 02-21-2007, 10:35 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my advice would be to pick the mechanic you want to use in your area, and have him do the ppi. i live in SF, but my mechanic is in mt view. if i were buying another porsche i would insist on being able to take it to him for the PPI.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:46 PM
godxilla
Advanced

s-car-go in san rafael did one of my PPIs - reputable shop, they really know their stuff.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Stable is a shop in the city that could do it.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 AM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had work done by the Stable, but they have a very good reputation and seem quite knowledgable about the air cooled cars.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 PM
mod4b
Advanced

Is this the blue turbo?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:34 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use The Stable. They're close by the Marina and they know their way around the aircooled cars quite well. (No affiliation etc....)
Old 02-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

I had my PPI done by S-Car Go, which is across the bridge in Marin. I thought they were very thorough and responsive.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

+1 The Stable. If he lets you go over the Golden Gate, then S-CAR-GO (Rob) is the way to go. If this is the blue turbo with New York plates, ask him why he left the car outside on Chestnut Street all weekend with the sunroof open??? Not a good sign.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:11 PM
caronsd
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeff, et.al. -

Thanks for the replies / suggestions. Looks like THE place in the city is The Stable. I was also referred to Junipero Serra Auto Repair if I can get the car out of the city.

Yes, the car is the blue turbo. According to the owner, it has Maryland plates, but the guy lives over on Greenwich, just a block or two from Chestnut, so I'm sure it's the same car. It's distressing to hear that it sat out all weekend with an open sunroof. I was out of town, but didn't we get some weather passing through? I'll have to see if the carpets are damp. I was told that the car was garaged, but...?

If anyone has anything to add about the car before I come up for a look on Saturday, I'd be thankful.

Regards,

Steve C
Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 PM
mborkow
Drifting

under the passenger seat there are some electronics...you wouldn't want them getting too wet.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Steve, He might garage it usually, but I definitely saw it in the same place (in front of Peet's Coffee over 12" from the curb) two days in a row with the sunroof open (overnight, Sat to Sun). Maybe he had a few too many and walked home, forgetting where he parked it. At least it did not rain, in fact, we had spring-like conditions in the 70's and sunny on Saturday!!!

Call Allen at the Stable (415) 776-2707 to set up an appt. When I spoke to him about a PPI, he was not going to perform a leakdown/compression test, and other places I spoke with suggested doing it... Up to you, I guess. I would be very detailed oriented (****) on this car.

Especially if he's not a Rennlister, how could one trust him? [sarcasm]

Quick Reply: PPI in SF