Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news/good news Hankooks on sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Smile Bad news/good news Hankooks on sale?

Bad news/good news Hankooks on sale?

Bad news ....the sale tires (Z211 (rss) tires are mostly gone. The good news , the Ventus Z214 tire (Looks like a Hoosier with a tread rating of 40) is readily available, and I have heard a rumor the prices are going down in 2007.

First, how do we pronounce the name? Hancook...Not Hankook, as in kook.

How do they work? Outstanding in my experience. I am on my second set, the first set is mounted up for back up duty. I am going to purchase a third set for my 18" wheels.

I get my Hankooks from Lynn Heaps at Topless Performance:
928-636-1222 in AZ
877-728-0914 toll free
928-636-3715 fax
email is toplessperformance@commspeed.net
Note: I receive no compensation or renumeration from Hankook, or anyone associated with Hankook.

Last edited by Martin S.; 02-19-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you ever used the Hoosier R6??

Reason why I ask is that in 3 weeks I make the switch to the Hankook Ventus 214 and I can't help but feel a bit apprehensive as I am SO hooked on the Hoosier Trackpipe, but the prices are getting out of hand and NO contingency credits/$$$$$$$ for competing, Hankook's contingency is VERY attractive, expecially for a car/driver combo that consistently gets podium finishes.

I've been told they NEED TO BE HEAT CYCLED, by Hankook themselves, they say run a moderate session on them and put 'em up for a few days - IMPOSSIBLE in my situation, as I have only one set of wheels for slicks, another for rain tires (Toyo RA-1s). It's been suggested that tire pressures and camber settings are similar to Hoosiers, which is fantastic news for me.

Anyone else want to chime in with their experience on Hankooks?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Jeff,

Will you be racing at all this year? Haven't seen you in a while.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Mark, I race NASA GTS Challenge and for the last couple of years, ONE PCA race weekend a year...and that's usually in Iowa, when I visit my hometown of Omaha, Ne. every June...this year the Great Plains Club Race is at a new track in Hastings, Ne. - about 2.5hrs from my Mother's doorstep, vice 25min. - so I may not make it, too much for logistics, etc. - I mean, WHO wants to drive home to visit (1327mi.) and then go 2.5hrs to a track, stay in a hotel, run the weekend and come back to visit for a few days?? What an odd decision that region made to change tracks for their once a year Club Race - UGH.

SO, with that said, maybe I'll do the Summit Club Race this Fall?? ...too bad we can't get another Club Race at VIR, that's just a shame that we couldn't keep that going - such a nice track, "just right" for us Porsche guys, and NO Club Race there.

I want a straightaway rematch with you Mark!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

Was my car faster on the straights? I honestly can't remember. Have you re-worked your motor?

It's a major bummer that PCA lost VIR. I'll be at Summit, as well as Watkins Glen and Putnam. That's it for me.

Sorry for the major thread highjack, Martin. I like R6's and have never run Hankooks. There. appropriate thread content.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

NO, I just "found" HP that I have apparently been missing for a few years, and yes, you would blaze by me on the straights and if I was lucky, I could catch you in the twisties...I would imagine that will not be SO once we meet again, as I hear your driving prowess has progressed exponentially...but you can't blame me if I still try!

I was missing out on about 32hp due to a problem I've been dealing with for quite some time, turned out to be a temp. sensor in my airflow meter, my dyno results were pathetic, 206 at the rear wheels, now I turn an average of 230 at the wheels...roughly figures to a 32-34hp "upgrade" and I have the gearing I'm allowed for D-prepared, same as Manny's setup, an 8:32 R&P, REALLY wakes up the car!

The Hankooks are supposed to be a great tire, rumor has it about a second slower than the R6 but they last a bit longer.

Right now I get two weekends out of a set of R6s, that's 12-14 heat cycles, by the time I reach 10 HC they are pretty much showing it as they get greasy and my lap times suffer...supposedly the Hankooks will last a bit longer, if they are STRONG for a full two weekends worth of driving, it'll be worth it.

...and about $200 cheaper a set, AND a contingency program...Hoosier can bite me if these workout.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

It would be great to spar with you again, Jeff. Once I got the Motons set up properly, both the car and I got a bit faster. I also got some great coaching from Chris Cervelli this past spring and have been heavily concentrating on trail braking and carrying more entry speed. We'll see...

Hope to see you soon!

Quick Reply: Bad news/good news Hankooks on sale?